Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

New EVA source

Recently JRB added a UL EVA foam pad for hammockers to our site...26x 40x 1/4, wide enough for a hammock torso or emergency ground use...Also usable for leg coverage for 2/3 or 3/4 UQ users, Flexible, yet sticky enough to stay in place in hammocks... Rolls to 3 inch tube....6.5 oz and under $10.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the minicell foam in the second link is probably slightly better, but the landau in the first is very close and alot cheaper. both are very high quality, i'd say 1/4" of either would be good to somewhere in the 40's (i think). not sure how these compare to owf's

http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site...5B848624430181

http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html
    I'm actually looking for some foam like this in a big peice to use for a excersize mat. Is this the same kind of stuff used for cheap yoga mats or something close to it? I'm guessing it like the stuff they sell in the camping section at wal mart, thats fine enough. Does the foam by mail sell by the yard?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Recently JRB added a UL EVA foam pad for hammockers to our site...26x 40x 1/4, wide enough for a hammock torso or emergency ground use...Also usable for leg coverage for 2/3 or 3/4 UQ users, Flexible, yet sticky enough to stay in place in hammocks... Rolls to 3 inch tube....6.5 oz and under $10.

Pan
    I just got two of 'em. Like he said...evazote, rolls small, lightweight and wide enough for hammock use.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock-on the way
    Here's an article covering pad materials from the June 1977 Backpacker magazine: http://books.google.com/books?id=_98DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA69.

It compares "Volarafoam", Minicell L-200, and Evazote, among others, concluding that among CCF pads, Evazote has superior thermal efficiency, durability, and flexibility.

Interesting that all this technology is 30 years old...

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by addlep8d View Post
    Here's an article covering pad materials from the June 1977 Backpacker magazine: http://books.google.com/books?id=_98DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA69.

It compares "Volarafoam", Minicell L-200, and Evazote, among others, concluding that among CCF pads, Evazote has superior thermal efficiency, durability, and flexibility.

Interesting that all this technology is 30 years old...
    Amazing! I've been looking for this type info and stumbled on your post at the end of this thread. Thanks so much addlep8d! I had this "evazote is the best" thing in the back of my mind, but didn't really know if it was true or where I'd developed that opinion. Interesting indeed, that this was written in the 70's. I wonder if Minicell L-200 has any better durablility today? And what is used in ridgerest pads nowadays?

Also of interest was the style/content of the Backpacker articles in the old magazine - I really like the consumer reports type info. I also read a lot of the rest of the old magazine and contrasting it with the May 2011 issue laying on the coffee table - have to say I miss the old backpacker style, maybe they need to get back to their roots? But hey, that just may be nostalgia, cuz I'm an old fart that was actually hiking and backpacking in the 70's, (Cliff Jacobson was my hero). This might also explain why, when I realized that you could actually look at the complete backpacker mag from the 70's on Google Books, I'm like "hey I didn't know you could do that??!!" Wonder what I'll be looking at for the next month or so...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Check out "A Look at Insulation and How Much Is Enough Sleeping In Hammocks" by Dave “Youngblood” Womble in this Ed Speer Newsletter http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm
    Very comprehensive, and I found the CCF recomendations to be rght on. The inch of CCF I needed to stay warm down to 20 was cheap and light, but really buky
    That link has been taken down but here is the chart that I did for that article.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That link has been taken down but here is the chart that I did for that article.
    Thank you. That fleshes out the big picture for those that chose pads.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I was recently following some of the links in this thread. I wish some of the vendors would provide more information about the sheet sizes and weights of their foam. I ended up buying from suluk46 just because I knew exactly what I was getting. Took a bit of a blow on Canadian shipping though.

Had also wondered whether there was much difference in the R value of plastazoate vs evazoate vs minicell, but my google-Fu could not find the numbers to compare. Although I already placed my order, anyone know?
    Last edited by BER; 04-30-2011 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    It took a bit of digging on their website, but I found the following:
    "If your order consist of a massive amount of 1 paticular product please call to ensure you get the best possible price. * If you are experiencing difficulties please contact us for assistance Contact Internet Sales at (800) 995-8515 ext 320 or at [email protected]"

You can call and find out about the shipping charges, then place your order. Perhaps if enough people call, they will fix their web site.
    I was gonna order from them today. I called to ask bout shipping, guy said I had to place an order and he'd call me back with the shipping cost before charging my card. He did call back. Shipping for 2yards of 1/4'" and 2yards of 3/8" was gonna be $35 in shipping alone. I passed.

The shipping would have been like $2-3 more than the order.
    I'll keep looking around for another source.

SMSP

I like 2 layers of 1/4 or 3/8 CCF for cold nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast