Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Ode to Tom Hennessy

In late 2002 I was planning my thru-hike and doing research for what type of shelter to use. I went out on a limb, so to speak, and chose a hammock. An Ultra Light Backpacker Asym to be exact. The next spring I was on Springer Mountain and slept in my HH for the first time. I think hammocks are the perfect solo shelter for thru hiking. At trail days I got to meet Tom and thank him for his innovations that made me so comfortable. However I don't need to preach to the choir about hammocks.

What I really want to press upon everyone is that Tom Hennessy was on the forefront of this industry. He has changed many people lives for the better making this a much better place to sleep. JRB also were early leaders, but they built their business providing gear specifically for Hennessys. I doubt most of us venders would have an industry to supply if it weren't for Tom bringing hammocks to the masses. When you are laying in your Warbonnet/Dream hammock/BMB/Wilderness logics hammock give thanks to Tom. We are all riding his coat tails. Believe me there would be no Tarp Flyz, Stingerz, Dutch Clips, or what ever if it weren't for Tom. I doubt there would be an HF except Tom brought hammocks to the masses and made it popular enough that HF was a spin off of White Blazes. Many of us have only been here a short time, Tom saw the promise early was one of the great early innovators. His marketing and ability to bring products to the market has started something big. There were others and I am sure it would have taken off sooner or later but he certainly was one of the great ones. I still use my ULBA and it has more miles on it than any other hammock I own. So if you ever get a chance to meet him, shake his hand and give him the appreciation he deserves.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Although I do not own a Hennessy hammock I must admit I am a hammock camper as a result of seeing others use them. Well said, Dutch and thanks to Tom!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Well said Dutch.
    I'll doff my hat to old Tom...
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock back in 2010 was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip. I had tons of questions so I called the 800 number for Hennessy. As I talked to the gentleman, the voice started sounding familiar and I said, "Wait, are you Tom Hennessy from the videos on your site?" It was. We talked for two hours about all things hammocks - next day I ordered my HH hammock!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    My first exposure to the hammock world came during an AT section hike several years ago. I had been playing leapfrog with a thruhiker named Hot Drinks, and I had been intrigued by his home between the trees. Ironically, when I hit Damascus I found Tom there to "help get me off that cold, rocky ground." Armed with my new home, I left town not knowing just how much my life was about to change. Whenever I met a ground dweller I would find myself happily talking about my newfound advantage.
    Fast forward and here I am, still enjoying every day above ground.
    The thing I would like to thank Tom for is opening the door to a lot of friends. I climbed in that first hammock and found a new world.
    You just never know what the day may bring. Many thanks Tom for helping mine change for the better.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Dutch,

Thanks for the mention on JRB's early days.

One correction though is that while the Nest UQ, the first under quilt was built for the Hennessy bottom entry hammocks it was engineered to also work on every known camping hammock and still fits every known siingle, and most double, camping hammocks.

JRB's initial mission statement was, and still is, to enable four season hammock camping for all hammock users. Of course as the popularity of No Sniveller top quilts and subequent models also grew the mission was expanded to included to enabling four season quilt camping to the ground dwellers also.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I have neither met Tom Hennessy nor own a HH.

I do like that Dutch has started this thread to thank an innovator and pioneer of Hammock Camping.

I don't know the start of all the hammock gear I have (it's DIY), but, I do thank Tom for his contribution to Hammock Camping. I have learned a lot from HF and can say that it has been thru this great host that I have learned the knowledge and made my rig.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Nice to honor those who came before us and even better to honor them while they are still with us. They deserve to hear the praise. Our family is growing every day.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Dutch,

Thanks for the mention on JRB's early days.

One correction though is that while the Nest UQ, the first under quilt was built for the Hennessy bottom entry hammocks it was engineered to also work on every known camping hammock and still fits every known siingle, and most double, camping hammocks.

JRB's initial mission statement was, and still is, to enable four season hammock camping for all hammock users. Of course as the popularity of No Sniveller top quilts and subequent models also grew the mission was expanded to included to enabling four season quilt camping to the ground dwellers also.

Pan
    Believe me, there should be another thread that is titled Ode to JRB. You guys moved it down the road many more miles. Everyone should know how you had basically the first quilts, larger tarps, bridge hammocks, tarp tensioners, upgraded suspensions. Also was a great help in getting my start and was the sole outlet for my products back when I was just a youngin'.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Yep, I still have my camo Expedition Asym from 2003 I used in the Middle East; tough as nails. Great stuff for sure.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast