Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

HH Hex Replacement

I really like my 70d HH Hex tarp. It's always kept me dry and cut down the wind nicely but it's heavy and rather large. I've been looking around at similarly sized hex tarps and I think I have it narrowed down to two choices. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on either of these choices or if there's another hex tarp I should consider:

OES MacCar Deluxe
    $121 sealed
    13.1 ounces

Hammock Gear Cuben Hex
    $235 (11' ridgeline)
    5.3 ounces

Concern: I live in Arizona and sometimes camp in warm temps (not high heat but 85-90° camping happens). Will the translucent HG hex be a greenhouse? I can do the porch-mode thing but I like shade.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You'll be dealing with customer service issues on the OES product (place your order, cross your fingers and pray).

Most people buy cuben fiber tarps because of the low weight (i.e., they're hikers). However, I've heard people try to talk themselves out of cuben fiber because "it's loo loud in the rain" or "it's too translucent." If that's part of your tarp-buying criteria, I'd say cuben fiber is not for you. I've never found the translucency an issue because I don't hang in the daytime anyway. Besides, any tarp made of non-breathable fabric is going to be a greenhouse in the sun.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You'll be dealing with customer service issues on the OES product (place your order, cross your fingers and pray).

Most people buy cuben fiber tarps because of the low weight (i.e., they're hikers).
    I figured I would email OES about delivery time and "in-stock" before ordering and if he did not answer I would take my business elsewhere.

Regarding, CF, I'm specifically interested in lightening the load in my pack, however I also do some lazy camping as well and it does get warm here in Arizona. Shade is a good thing here. It sounds like you think I am correct that CF is not going to give me much shade.

Any chance you have a suggestion for a big hex that is lightweight and makes shade?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    "Makes good shade" just seems like it shouldn't be part of tarp selection criteria, but just about anything, including your hex, would be better than CF.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-01-2014 at 11:58.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    "Makes good shade" just seems like it shouldn't be part of yarp selection criteria, but just about anything, including your hex, would be better than CF.
    Again, I appreciate your input but I don't understand why I shouldn't want shade from a tarp...

Anyhow I hear you loud and clear that you don't think CF is a good choice. Thank you for confirming my concern about the material.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    I figured I would email OES about delivery time and "in-stock" before ordering and if he did not answer I would take my business elsewhere.

Regarding, CF, I'm specifically interested in lightening the load in my pack, however I also do some lazy camping as well and it does get warm here in Arizona. Shade is a good thing here. It sounds like you think I am correct that CF is not going to give me much shade.

Any chance you have a suggestion for a big hex that is lightweight and makes shade?
    Warbonnet MamaJamba is about the same size as a MacCat Deluxe, and about the same price ($10 less, I think). No sealing needed. Pretty much the same weight (13oz)

Wilderness Logics Big Daddy is similar as well, though slightly wider. Same price range. More options to customize, for added cost (longer ridge, different colors, added pull outs or tie outs, etc.).

Jacks R Better Hex tarps are also about the same size and weight. They are a touch more ($136) but are in stock and ready to ship - no waiting. Consider the $15-$25 price jump a rush order fee.

All of those are comparable options, and I doubt you'd be unhappy with any of them. OES tarps are great, but as you suggested I'd ensure you can make contact before placing an order.

Cuben tarps are definitely lighter, but there are drawbacks. If you're concerned about the translucency, I'd reach out to one of the vendors (Hammock Gear, Z Packs) and ask their opinion.

Cheers.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Thanks for the recommendations. Somehow I had it in my head that the Warbonnet was narrower but it is the same width as the others I was looking at. And I was not aware of Wilderness Logics! Thank you for bringing those up.

I had looked at the JRB hex but it is 2' narrower which rules it out for me.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Fair enough. I just included it in the interest of being thorough. I hate to say it, but I tend to forget they make tarps as well. I think of them more for quilts and bridge hammocks.

UGQ also makes some tarps - they have a hex, but I believe it's also a touch narrower that the Deluxe, and a touch more money.

There's also the Arrowhead Toxaway tarp. 12' ridge line though, so that means a touch heavier.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    It's too early in the morning. I need more coffee. It's not 2' narrower. More like 6"...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Again, I appreciate your input but I don't understand why I shouldn't want shade from a tarp...

Anyhow I hear you loud and clear that you don't think CF is a good choice. Thank you for confirming my concern about the material.
    A tarp's primary use is weather protection; i.e., precipitation. It's relatively easy to evaluate tarps on simple criteria like weather protection and weight. However, when you introduce something like "best tarp for shade" it's just a strange criteria that will probably yield strange results, just as "quietest tarp in the rain" would yield strange results. For example, you want to lighten your load, so on weight alone, cuben fiber wins, just as it would probably win on "easiest tarp to field repair."

However, cuben fiber loses to all materials (including a Wally World blue tarp) if you place a high value on "best shade, or "quietest tarp." I lived in Arizona for several years; I understand how bright the sun is, which is why I would never think of attempting to lay in a hammock or tent with the Arizona sun pounding down. Even without translucency, it's a miserable experience. I'd wait for the sun to go down to lay in my hammock or tent.

A while back there was a post where somebody said their cuben fiber tarp had delaminated after being left in direct sunlight for months. My first thought was, "Why would you leave such an expensive tarp out in direct sunlight for months?" That's not a cuben fiber failure, that's improper use of a cuben fiber tarp. For that matter, any tarp material is going to degrade with exposure to UV light, so I would argue you really shouldn't expose any tarp to the midday sun (especially the Arizona sun). I personally wouldn't expose any camping tarp to the midday sun. I have crappy Guide Gear tarps, unsuitable for personal weather protection, but perfectly fine for shade or group shelter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast