Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Hammock
    Sawtooth Mountain cheapie
    Tarp
    Bluestone Mountain
    Insulation
    WL TQ/UQ
    This is a great thread. Not a full time hanger but have been experimenting in the backyard for 3 months. Still have my cheapo Amazon double hammock and sleep in a used military sleeping bag, and have an old blue tarp BUT I am learning about ridge lines, whoopie slings, preferred pillows, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie8 View Post
    So, when I hang these anchor rings, do they hang directly across from each other? How far from the ground? Both same distance from the ground?
    I used the Hammock Hang Calculator to figure out both the distance apart and the height off the floor. Hang them on whichever walls will allow you the right distance -- in my case, I anchored from adjacent walls so I'm hanging across the corner. I hung them the same height off the ground -- if I want one side higher than the other, I'll just move my hammock closer to one anchor or the other.

The location I picked also allowed me to anchor to studs that are next to a window on one side, and very near the corner of the room on the other. I know studs that are next to windows and doors are supposed to be stronger to hang from, I think the same is also true of studs that are near the corner of a room.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    That depends... stud dimensions vary... for example 2x4 or 2x6... construction techniques also vary (bracings, etc.)... exterior walls may be more robust than interior walls, and so on. This link mentions weights from 265 to 300 pounds, without issues: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-hang-project. At first, hang low and place a mattress under the hammock, just in case.

Here are a couple of links in contractor-speak, if you can handle it:
    http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/ho...122829/index2/
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7070028AAbMie6
    It's not falling that worries me, it's the building project after falling

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    Mounted anchor rings

Exactly what I'm using! They work great and are low profile when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    I am about to do this set up in my guest bedroom, but was wondering about these pictures. It seems to me that these d-rings would start to bite into the sheetrock, but your pictures do not show that. Are these pictures taken immediately after installation? If so, since then have you experienced any damage to the sheetrock?
    No damage. The ring is being pulled AWAY from the sheet rock at all times, minimizing any ring-to-wall friction or pressure.
    I wondered the same thing as RedStix. I believe your answer Gravity as long as the D-rings are directly across from each other. However in the room I am wanting to hang, I will have to put the suspension points at an angle from each other. In this case, I too am wondering if pulling off a non-90 degree angle will cause the ring to bite into the drywall.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    LOL... that is a fact. My wife and I tried 30 days and ended up staying in our hammocks for nearly a year. Back stopped hurting, and I slept very well rested. Eventually, I went back to my Sleep Number bed (Wife misses my warm feet) but we both look forward to the hammocks when we go out.
    Cheers
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by jgibby View Post
    I wondered the same thing as RedStix. I believe your answer Gravity as long as the D-rings are directly across from each other. However in the room I am wanting to hang, I will have to put the suspension points at an angle from each other. In this case, I too am wondering if pulling off a non-90 degree angle will cause the ring to bite into the drywall.
    What about a piece of 3/4 plywood between the d-ring and the drywall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation. Also, I'll reconsider your suggestion to support small entrepreneurs, too.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Another way to solve all the risk of wall damage is to fix 2x4's to the wall at either end of the hammock just as you'd expect, but the bit that takes away the risk of damage is a sturdy brace between the two uprights which means you would have compression forces on the brace rather than pulling forces on the uprights, not pretty unless you intend concealing the frame

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this: I am hanging from the rafters in my ceiling (1" webbing wrapped around the 4x6 beams), but they're a little too close together for my hammock length, and I would like to spread them out. I'm looking for like a spreader bar to go where a ridgeline would, except it would hold the hammock ends apart at the right distance. Specifically, what is a good design for this? I could brute force it with a 2x4 with a notch on either end, but am curious if anyone here has already solved this problem in a more elegant way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast