UKhammocks Woodsman X 1.5 SL
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    ZPacks Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles

New ZPacks Down Under Quilt with Cuben Fabric

ZPacks are now offering down under quilt with cuben fiber as an outer fabric.
    I think it is an interesting and bold choice of material.
    Any thoughts?

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/underquilt.shtml

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I think the weight savings compared to HG's Argon quilts is pretty insignificant to justify that much extra cost. Now the wind resistance on the other hand could make these quilts several degrees warmer than other quilts of the same temp rating, and also eliminates the need for an UQP which saves a good bit of weight if you typically use one of those. I don't know if the benefits are worth that much extra money but I sure would like to try one out and see. I think I'll wait for someone to put one up for sale though.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE Enigma TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    They have been saying that they have UQs coming soon. I was surprised to see them with Cuben. I think that I'll stick to my current UQ until we can hear review from the early adopters.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Meh. Lacks some very important stuff: I don't see mention of any sort of diff cut, and it's meant for inline sleepers since there's a band on the 3/4 length that goes al the way around you just below the knees. It's a nice quilt but I dont think they did the r&d of other manufacturers
    Hyoh

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I hadn't heard of this yet. But just from looking at the page real quick ... I'm pretty unimpressed. I don't like the straps across the top of the hammock at all. And way too expensive when there are so many great UQ makers already. I love Zpacks stuff and have some of their backpacks. But just not impressed with this UQ.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I think the weight savings compared to HG's Argon quilts is pretty insignificant to justify that much extra cost. Now the wind resistance on the other hand could make these quilts several degrees warmer than other quilts of the same temp rating, and also eliminates the need for an UQP which saves a good bit of weight if you typically use one of those. I don't know if the benefits are worth that much extra money but I sure would like to try one out and see. I think I'll wait for someone to put one up for sale though.
    I'm waiting to see the long term results for condensation issues. Hot moist air in a cold dry environment will cause a pressure differential that will drive the moisture outwards. What the difference is between it hitting a ripstop with DWR and a true vapor barrier like cuben remains to be seen. It occurs to me that you could make an extremely light UQP with 2 yards of 0.34oz cuben ($50, about 1.3oz + suspension) and use it with all your quilts.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Color me unimpressed. While I like the idea of having better protection of my down, I don't think this is the solution for me. But that's just me. Some thru hikers may think this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, Darien Single 1.2
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Also does not appear to have draft collars?

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Ya know... this is STILL my favorite piece of gear.

The cuben bottom is the thin stuff but it helps retain heat and splash rolls right off. It's like a built in undercover. Works fine in the West here. Don't know if it would work in seriously humid climes. It's got nylon or Pertex on the inner side and I've had no condensation or degradation of loft, even on the warmest rainy Northern California and Sierra nights.

The elastic strap belt system was a worthy thing to test but ultimately a fail. I got it to work for me, though. It came with those belts and more standard elastic cords. The elastic belts snapped together over at my chest and knees and allowed you to move it up and down under me at a whim. But I don't find it necessary. And the belts interfere with movement when you are lounging (not such a big issue as I only get in the hammock to sleep...at the heart of it i'm a hiker not a camper).

So I cut off the belts to save a few grams. And I replaced their stretchy cordage with my own, just four thinner cords at the corners with some mitten hook. I figure if they lose their spring they're easy enough to replace. I did ask for the draft collars, btw, and I can tell they make all the difference. It's another ounce or more lighter with my suspension mods and allows for better stowage, whether i just let it stay attached or whether i pack it up separate from the hammock. I did about half the PCT Desert with it in 2018 and have used it regularly closer to home (and AT home) since I got it 5 or 6 years ago. Still going strong.

ps: Weighs in at 13.1 ounces. They marketed it with the guess that it would be good to 20F and I did test it something just under 30F... I'd bet my next paycheck it would still be comfortable at 20F.
    Last edited by steveflinn; 04-04-2020 at 23:06.

6 year old thread and it doesn't look like the product is offered anymore. Good Intel on the long term use of it. I'm wondering how it would perform in a winter cllimate like we have here in Michigan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast