DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder

Weight vs Convenience?

I am looking at getting a second 3 season hammock. Carrying less weight is important to me so I have been diligently searching out the hammock vendors for lighter options.

Length- 10 ft or 11ft. I currently have a 1.7 WBBB (10ft) (I am 6 ft 180). Comfortable but wondering if 11ft might improve comfort. Of course adding a foot increases weight?!

Fabric Weight- I am going with single layer as I use an under quilt. Is 1.1 going to be too light for me? The 1.7 WBBB seems good in firmness but wow going to 1.1 I think might be too stretchy? What about 1.3 or the 1.6 Argon?

Netting-I use the hammock for 1-5 night backpacking excursions mostly in the Central Oregon Cascades 3 seasons and I find that mosquitos may or may not be around so having a net is pretty much a must because I don't want to get out there only to wish I had brought a net. Built in or carry a net?

Top Cover- I also have a Bear Burrito Oven for my WBBB and honestly I use it most nights because it keeps me warmer, privacy and I know it keeps me safer from the "boogie man". Ha ha. I have a good tarp that provides great weather protection and maybe I should get over the top cover thought and just be fine with the tarp in order to save the weight.

I've been looking at the WBBB XLC with top cover, Dream Hammock Thunderbird or danger bird, and the Hammeck Envy (love his top cover idea with the netting that can be open or closed.) Also been eyeing SLD trail lair.

Maybe I should just man up and get a comfortable single layer no frills and spray on bug spray and enclose the tarp tighter.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Length - Go with an 11'. Don't forget width 60" is as narrow as I'll go.

Fabric weight - SL 1.0 1.1 will perform well up to 200lb.

Netting - Go with a separate bug net. It's less confining, easier in and out, gives the option to not carry when not needed.

Top Cover - Invest in doors or beaks instead. You already have a great CF tarp.

Hammock - All models mentioned are too heavy for me to consider as a light weight hiking option. You should treat any hammock and net with a Permethrin soak.

At the moment your tonking a very high quality kit. If the BB is the most comfortable hammock you've slept in, then you're set. It won't cost you too much to find out if less will suit you better. Dream Freebird, BIAS WWM, SLD Steamliner, all will get you around or under 12oz with suspension included, for $75 - 100 dollars. All would resale easily in our FS section, if they don't suit.

I own a BIAS WW, and I can't imagine a better lay. Freebird on the way this week. YMMV
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I also use a WBBB during mosquito season however, my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl is my preferred hammock for comfort, compactness and weight. I have a BIAS Buginator that should allow me to use the Lite Owl year-round but, it is bulkier than I'd like. I wish I'd have gotten the Nano-Buginator.

My suggestion: Call Marty and get yourself a Snipe or a Lite Owl.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    For the bug net, just carry a HUG Bugnet.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...k-Half-Bug-Net
    Maybe you can make your own 11'X60" gathered end hammock. There are lots of no-sew methods to choose from. Here's the method I use:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

This wouldn't help if you're set on the xlc, but remember that adding a foot to the hammock can be negated weight wise by narrowing the width. For a 60" wide hammock, narrowing it about 5-6 in is about the same weight as adding 12" to the end, so you could keep the weight the same if you're willing to make that tradeoff. Maybe warbonnet would do that, dream certainly would and I think hammeck do as well.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I believe you will find more comfort in the 11' hammock and 1.6 oz/sy feels just right for my 190-200 pounds. I think 1.1 would be too stretchy for 180. The extra foot will cost you about 0.7 oz. However, I don't see any benefit of a hammock wider than 54". I am 6'-1" and have made a bunch of hammocks of different dimensions. If you're using under quilts, then you're smart to go single layer. I have a double layer that is reserved for frigid weather when a pad plus underquilt can save your life.

Another way to lighten up is to use a Dynaglide suspension. That's what I've been using for 4 years with success. I have a 4' and a 6' tree strap because that works where I hang. You will probably need longer ones for the PNW.
    But, hang your own hang
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    This is good information. While not the OP'er I find it helpful. Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Yes thank you this is all great info. I'm considering going trying a BIAS and nano buginator. I'll look into the Snipe and Night Owl as well. Rolloff give us an update on the Freebird. I'm still a little concerned about the stretch in a 1.1 fabric. Is there a difference in the stretch of different 1.1's used by the hammock vendors?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theclark5 View Post
    Length- 10 ft or 11ft. I currently have a 1.7 WBBB (10ft) (I am 6 ft 180). Comfortable but wondering if 11ft might improve comfort. Of course adding a foot increases weight?!
    This is a matter of taste. I got a couple of 11' hammocks because everybody said they were so much more comfortable and I can't confirm it. My ~12' HH Safari feels quite comfortable, but not more so than my 10' DIY Argon hammock. I'm going to try a couple of 8' and 9' hammocks that I have heard people say to be extremely comfortable. The advantage of a short(er) hammock is not only the weight you save with the hammock itself, but you can also use a shorter and therefore lighter tarp, and there are more hanging sites open to you. I find that hammock comfort is influenced by the way the hammock is gathered (I find the WB whip extremly comfy, or alternatively, the accordion fold - I find that channel end hammocks suck for me), the fabric (some are better than others; I have to say that I love the support that 1.6 Argon gives), the suspension angle (e.g. my BB feels best when it's strung up tight; longer hammocks seem to feel better with more sag), length-width ratio and of course, hammock-user spec ratio...

The best thing to do is to test different set-ups. Gives you an excuse to "test" a lot

Fabric Weight- I am going with single layer as I use an under quilt. Is 1.1 going to be too light for me? The 1.7 WBBB seems good in firmness but wow going to 1.1 I think might be too stretchy? What about 1.3 or the 1.6 Argon
    It seems that 1.1oz ripstop is very failure prone when used as a single layer (do a search and you'll find quite a few threads). Go with SL 1.6oz for peace of mind. Argon feels great (and is still super light). Another option is Ripstopbytheroll's new 1.6oz HyperD. I'm still waiting for delivery, so can't say anything about how it feels. It's getting rave reviews here, though.

Netting-I use the hammock for 1-5 night backpacking excursions mostly in the Central Oregon Cascades 3 seasons and I find that mosquitos may or may not be around so having a net is pretty much a must because I don't want to get out there only to wish I had brought a net. Built in or carry a net?
    If you're looking to save weight, go with an integrated hammock. A stand-alone net is more roomy and airy, but it weighs a bit more and I find it fiddly to set up. I also like the way an integrated net prevents my feet from going over the edge, and keeps all my stuff in the hammock.

Top Cover- I also have a Bear Burrito Oven for my WBBB and honestly I use it most nights because it keeps me warmer, privacy and I know it keeps me safer from the "boogie man". Ha ha. I have a good tarp that provides great weather protection and maybe I should get over the top cover thought and just be fine with the tarp in order to save the weight.
    I haven't used the BBO, but I like the WB Travel Sock, which has the same effect. One thing to keep in mind when going for a top cover is that it's either net or top cover (as far as I know). I found this to be a problem, because it gets stuffy quickly with a zipped up top cover. When I opened the zipper to vent, some hungry mosquitos found their way in immediately. This is why I prefer the sock; I can vent and keep my net zipped up. However, DH now makes a top cover with netted vents. I haven't tried one, but it sounds like a perfect solution.

I've been looking at the WBBB XLC with top cover, Dream Hammock Thunderbird or danger bird, and the Hammeck Envy (love his top cover idea with the netting that can be open or closed.) Also been eyeing SLD trail lair.
    All great hammocks. But not all might be perfect for you. I found that I cannot get comfortable in my DH DB although it's an excellent hammock. I assume it's due to the channel end gathering. So if you can, try before you buy (e.g. at a hang?).

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    thank you hutzelbein for your time and thoughts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast