Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes, their CS is top notch. When I emailed them a couple of years ago with questions, the reply only asked for my phone number. A few minutes later, I got a call that lasted at least 30 minutes to make sure they understood my experience level and what sewing machines I would be using so the most appropriate answers could be provided.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Depending on where I look, the vendor descriptions on some of the Gutermann threads have been a bit confusing. Some vendors are great at telling you exactly what you are getting (i.e. Mara vs.Tera vs. Sew-All with corresponding Tex sizes) while others are a little vague ("Standard Weight", "Extra Strong", etc.). I thought I'd post a clarification that I received from their national sales manager.

Thank you for your inquiry about the Gütermann products you see in the various markets.

Mara is a MicroCore, Spun Polyester thread, made in many Tex sizes and is typically used for construction and decorative stitching on apparel, leather and accessories. The appearance of Mara is a low luster, matte finish with a 'natural' look of silk thread. The thinner Tex sizes are used for garment construction and the thicker Tex sizes are good for buttonholes, decorative topstitching (denim) and leather accent stitching on handbags, wallets, belts, etc.

Tera is a Continuous Filament polyester thread that is made in a different technique and is known for it silky, shiny surface, and strong resistance to abrasion. Tera is slightly stronger than Mara (pound for pound) in like Tex sizes and Tera is normally used for upholstery, leather stitching, outdoor fabrics (awnings, marine upholstery, umbrellas etc.

Both threads are made of 100% polyester, so they both have similar resistance to UV and chlorine, but normally Tera is more commonly used outside or in high sunlight exposure.

Sometimes, people use names that are confusing and normally, our Gutermann customers use the threads 'proper name as shown on the cone or spool. Some retailers use descriptions of the thread that do not match the thread name and this is a little misleading. The Sew All thread you see in Joanne stores or other retail fabric shops is Mara 100 (Tex 30). The heavy topstitch or heavy duty Mara is normally Mara 30 (Tex 100), typically used for denim. This is also called jeans topstitch thread.
    Tera is found in some retail stores under the name "Upholstery thread) and this is Tera 40 (Tex 75).

Most Distributors use the actual thread name like Mara or Tera and use the corresponding Tex size to describe the weight or thickness of the thread.
    For hammocks, backpacks or similar applications, the Tera 40 is my recommendation. It is available in most of our Distributors and the color range is fairly wide. The thinner Tera threads are great for ripstop nylon as this fabric has a tendency to pucker - so the thinner the thread, the smaller the needle and the least amount of pucker. In that case, Tera 80 (Tex 35) is perfect. This thread is not as widely distributed as Tera 40, but should be carried by more Distributors in the future.

I hope this helps clear up your questions. If you are using Industrial machines, I suggest you look at the websites for Cleaners Supply, Outdoor Wilderness, RockyWoods, Bergen Tailors Supply or Oshman Brothers.

Thanks again for your interest in Gutermann and let me know if you have further questions.
    Best, Kathy

Kathy V. Kierce
    National Sales Manager
    Gütermann of America, Inc.
    [email protected]
    Phone/Fax: (828) 966-4799
    Blackberry (203) 803-0423
    www.guetermann.com

And in a follow up email, Kathy mentioned this. Just an FYI

It is so important that people understand the technical properties of the thread and I would like to see if one of the Distributors would "get on board" and stock more of the Tera for people like yourself. Outdoor Wilderness in ID is the most likely, but if you have other sources that could service this - I am happy to reach out to them as well.
    You can call me anytime or email - I am happy to help.
    Gutermann has been acquired recently by A&E thread and they have a large base of Distributors that also carry a similar product and we might be able to find a Distributor that can stock both products and offer a good assortment of color. This would be in the future, but it makes sense to have a good source for you to purchase the best products.
    I had asked a question about thread a few days ago. This is perfect. I thank you spaceman. This should also be a sticky.

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Gotta give big thanks for this. I ordered a sewing machine and Gutterman thread off amazon and couldn't find much. I got their "Sew-all" stuff and was kind of panicking for a bit when it might not be all poly. But it's great that it's just re-branded stuff.

BTW, just tried that thread out. No problems whatsoever.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Ok so I read this and just want to clarify. She says tera 40 is what we should use, but what tex? The part about top stitch denim says tera 40 (tex75). Is this the one?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    Ok so I read this and just want to clarify. She says tera 40 is what we should use, but what tex? The part about top stitch denim says tera 40 (tex75). Is this the one?
    Tera 40 is Tex 75 so yes.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Keep in mind that she is still thinking of hammocks and backpacks as being made of heavy materials. She also says "The thinner Tera threads are great for ripstop nylon as this fabric has a tendency to pucker - so the thinner the thread, the smaller the needle and the least amount of pucker. In that case, Tera 80 (Tex 35) is perfect".

I'll continue to use Mara 70 (Tex 40) for hammocks and reserve the Tera 40 for climbing slings made 4000 lb rated webbing.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    BUMP to an older thread that has some good information in it
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Tera 80 (Tex 35) is imo the perfect Sew All thread for use. It is stronger than Mara 100 (tex 30 = Sew all thread), only a bit thinner than Mara 70 (tex 40) but has a much smoother and nicer surface. The recommend needle sizes for Tera 80 are #10-#14 and for Mara 70 #14-#16.

Tera 80 was developed for industrial sewing machines and is sold an Kingspools only. Therefore you need something like a thread stand if you use it in conjunction with a home sewing machine. The cheapest and easiest one is a plastic bottle where the bottom is cut off. Tera 80 is rare because it is sold to industrial customers only. But if you get it somewhere (i bought it on Ebay) it can be much cheaper than Sew all thread.

I use in general a #14 Schmetz Universal needle with Tera 80. But I can always use a #10 or #12 Schmetz Microtex or a #11 Schmetz Quilting needle too.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Tera 80 Tex 35 is available at Rockywoods

http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Z...lyester-Thread
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Units of Textile Measurement
    Gütermann Numbering System

1 tex = 1 gram per 1,000 meters = 10 dtex = 9 den
    Nm = 1000/tex
    The No./Tkt. is a development of the Nm, but does not inform about how many individual threads the ply-yarn has been produced. No. 100 may be a Nm 65/2 or a Nm 100/3 thread for example.

Mara 100 = Sew-all Thread = tex 30 = dtex 300(2) = two-ply yarn.
    Recommended needle and needle size: universal needle NM 70 - 90 / #10 - #14
    "Mara 100" is sold to industrial customers, "Sew-all thread" to end customers in retail shops.
    The quality is the same, but the price in retail shops is often too high.

Mara 70 = tex 40 = dtex 400(3) = three-ply yarn
    Recommended needle size: NM 90 - 100 / #14 - #16
    Mara 70 is sold to industrial customers only, but available here:
    http://diygearsupply.com/product/gutermann-mara/
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/gutermann-thread.html
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/gutermann-mara-70

Mara 50 = tex 60 = dtex 600(3) = three ply yarn.
    Recommended needle size: NM 90 - 110 / #14 - #18
    Mara 50 is sold to industrial customers only, but available here:
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products...mara-50-thread

Tera 80 = tex 35 = dtex 350(3) = three-ply yarn.
    Recommended needle size: NM 70 - 90 / #10 - #14
    Tera 80 is sold to industrial customers only, but available here:
    http://diygearsupply.com/product/gutermann-tera/
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Z...lyester-Thread

Tera 60 = tex 50 = dtex 500(3) = three-ply yarn.
    Recommended needle size: NM 90 - 100 / #14 - #16
    Tera 60 is sold to industrial customers only, but available here:

Tera 40 = tex 75 = dtex 750(3) = three-ply yarn.
    Recommended needle size: NM 90 - 110 / #14 - #18
    Some household sewing machines don't work with a #18 needle and Tera 40.
    Tera 40 is sold to industrial customers only, but available here:

Kite Sewing 101 Recommendations. Also helpful for us:
    https://sites.google.com/site/kites4...ite-sewing-101

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast