Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Did you go hiking in Germany? I still haven't done a multi-day hike. I keep wanting to go, but haven't worked up the courage, yet...
    A bit. No camping though My father led me to believe that backpacking like we do here doesn't really exist as there aren't places to camp in the woods (legally). Is that correct?

Anyway, I hiked around and climbed the Alt Konig outside of Frankfurt. Also hiked somewhere in the Rhein Gau (sp?) We took a lift over the vineyards and hiked the ridge.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    My father led me to believe that backpacking like we do here doesn't really exist as there aren't places to camp in the woods (legally). Is that correct?
    More or less. There is only one area where camp sites (similar to back-country camp sites in the US) have been set up recently. However, you have to book and pay in advance. It can be hoped that other areas in Germany will follow. But at the moment I don't know of any other place where camping on public land is allowed, unless you get a one-off permission by "the responsible" official. You'd need to know who is responsible and how to find them, and I'm not sure how likely they would give permission. "Wild camping" (= illegal) is done, and for the most part it doesn't seem to be a huge problem as long as you act responsible. But if you're unlucky, the police or rangers might wake you up in the middle of the night, have you pay a fine and ask you to move on.

This is one reason why I haven't done it, yet. I would probably not sleep well, even if the risk to be discovered when stealth camping properly is low. Easier to take a vacation in a country that allows back-country camping.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    The water proof bottom on the jungle really helps if you have to use it as a ground bivy. I've done that in the rain and stayed perfectly dry.

I really like my Claytor jungle hammock. I changed my suspension out to whoopie and webbing. Found that the webbing provided stretched a bit. I find the hammock really comfortable. I read on here to use cut arrow shafts rather than sticks for spreading the bug netting. It works really well. The only thing I wish I could do is use a structural ridgeline. I think I'll need to burn a hole in the netting to accomplish this. But all in all, I'm super happy with mine.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    @ Hutzelbein:

Hi, again.
    On one of my recent posts, you suggested getting a Claytor Hammock. Yes; it'll be cheaper than buying a HH. But I've read several unhappy posts about leaking rainflys from Claytor. Did you eventually buy a Claytor? If so, did your tarp leak?

If these tarps usually leak, I think I'll have to reconsider because I live in Indonesia where some of the wettest months see over 950mm average monthly rainfall! Certainly, I'll be avoiding those months for camping, but even the driest months may see close to 100mm.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    JJ,

I would suggest a different tarp. I use a Claytor hammock and am very happy with it. But I use either an OES or JRB tarp with it.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    JJ,

I would suggest a different tarp. I use a Claytor hammock and am very happy with it. But I use either an OES or JRB tarp with it.
    I was not aware of problems with the Claytor tarps leaking! I really like the diamond tarp that came with my Claytor Jungle, though I sold it because I did not need it.

Duct Tape, so you use the 8 ft Expedition? I did not realize that, I thought you had a Jungle. So you must think it plenty comfortable? Of course, one of my very favorite hammocks is the 10 ft Claytor No Net. but I have always wanted to try the Expedition, just because it would work even better with a PeaPod. I noticed on a friend's that, being shorter, the pod was able to cover all the way to the very end and cinch tightly closed perfectly. I really must contact my friend and get that hammock from him and give it a try! Sure is short bt today's standards! How tall are you? I am 6'1", and have plenty of room in the 10 ft No Net.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBrewbus View Post
    @ Hutzelbein:

Hi, again.
    On one of my recent posts, you suggested getting a Claytor Hammock. Yes; it'll be cheaper than buying a HH. But I've read several unhappy posts about leaking rainflys from Claytor. Did you eventually buy a Claytor? If so, did your tarp leak?

If these tarps usually leak, I think I'll have to reconsider because I live in Indonesia where some of the wettest months see over 950mm average monthly rainfall! Certainly, I'll be avoiding those months for camping, but even the driest months may see close to 100mm.
    Yes, I got the Expedition and the 300cm no-net, but I didn't go for any of the tarps. I already have the Warbonnet range of tarps, which I love and wouldn't switch out for any other tarp. So I cannot comment on the Claytor tarp leaking. The tarp also is not exactly light weight, and I think hex tarps provide more coverage for less weight.

With regards to the hammocks: I haven't had the chance to use them outdoors, between two trees, and I can't hang them as shallow as suggested in my room (my anchor points are too high and too close together for a 20°-30° hang angle). I did like the lay of the Expedition a bit better than that of the longer no-net hammock, but I'm not exactly tall (5'4"). I also got the DD Frontline hammock, which is very similar. DD uses polyester, though, and since I prefer less stretchy hammocks, I found it more comfy than the Claytor.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was not aware of problems with the Claytor tarps leaking! I really like the diamond tarp that came with my Claytor Jungle, though I sold it because I did not need it.

Duct Tape, so you use the 8 ft Expedition? I did not realize that, I thought you had a Jungle. So you must think it plenty comfortable? Of course, one of my very favorite hammocks is the 10 ft Claytor No Net. but I have always wanted to try the Expedition, just because it would work even better with a PeaPod. I noticed on a friend's that, being shorter, the pod was able to cover all the way to the very end and cinch tightly closed perfectly. I really must contact my friend and get that hammock from him and give it a try! Sure is short bt today's standards! How tall are you? I am 6'1", and have plenty of room in the 10 ft No Net.
    To clarify, I have never used a claytor tarp. My recommendation for the others was due to positive experience with both OES and JRB and not about a negative experience with the claytor tarp.

Yes, I do use the Expedition. I also have a Camping hammock. Both are 8ft x 4ft. I find them both to be very comfortable. The fabric used is heavier, that in conjunction with the sewn channel and the dimensions means the hammock is very forgiving with angles. One doesn't need much of a diagonal to be comfortable. I am of a shorter stature 5'7" and 160lbs. My buddy Ian is bigger than I (maybe over 6') and he also found the Expedition to be comfortable.

Hammock
    My NEXT project
    Insulation
    None! It'sTROPICAL
    Thanks BillyBob, Hutzelbein and Duct Tape,

Your input and opinions are much appreciated.
    The hammock sounds comfy.

As for the fly: Actually, weight is not an issue because I'll be motorcycle camping, but a bigger tarp will be required to cover all the extra gear that motorcycle camping usually entails. So, a hex or square tarp would may be more suitable like you mentioned, Hutzelbein.
    I haven't read anything (good or bad) about the 1kg Big Rain fly from Claytor. I guess I could risk it and paint on a layer or two of silicone if it does leak -- but it's a pain in the butt after paying for a waterproof tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast