Hammock
    DIY PoorBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie

Question Redarding the Hammock Gear Incubator Underquilt Suspension (new model)

I recently purchased a new 0* incubator and am a bit baffled (pun intended, lol) on the new suspension design. First of all the shock cord that runs along the sides of the hammock is one continuous loop of shock cord. It appears that this continuous loop just dangles and doesn't attach to anything because the S-biners that attach the quilt to the hammock are on shock cord that is connected to little tabs on the end. Does the continuous loop not attach to the S-Biners also? I would think the S-Biners would be on the continuous loop and connect to the hammock. I cant figure it out.

On my DIY underquilt the suspension that ran along the sides connected to the hammock suspension but it seems this isn't the case for the incubator... What am I missing?

There are 3 different shock cord connections on this underquilt: 1 continuous loop that runs along the channels of each side of the quilt, Two tabs on each end of the underquilt with shock cord connected to S-biners to connnect the quilt to the hammock (this is what has me confused), and shock cord that runs along each end to cinch the ends shut to prevent air from coming inbetween the quilt and hammock.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeetrock View Post
    I recently purchased a new 0* incubator and am a bit baffled (pun intended, lol) on the new suspension design. First of all the shock cord that runs along the sides of the hammock is one continuous loop of shock cord. It appears that this continuous loop just dangles and doesn't attach to anything because the S-biners that attach the quilt to the hammock are on shock cord that is connected to little tabs on the end. Does the continuous loop not attach to the S-Biners also? I would think the S-Biners would be on the continuous loop and connect to the hammock. I cant figure it out.

On my DIY underquilt the suspension that ran along the sides connected to the hammock suspension but it seems this isn't the case for the incubator... What am I missing?

There are 3 different shock cord connections on this underquilt: 1 continuous loop that runs along the channels of each side of the quilt, Two tabs on each end of the underquilt with shock cord connected to S-biners to connnect the quilt to the hammock (this is what has me confused), and shock cord that runs along each end to cinch the ends shut to prevent air from coming inbetween the quilt and hammock.
    Yes, the long shock cord that runs in a giant loop is the primary suspension, and should also be attached to the s-biners.

The smaller shock cord that you are describing that is already attached to the s-biners is the secondary suspension. That is used to stretch the UQ out along the primary suspension (the big loop) and make sure it is pulled towards the ends of the hammock.

The last set of shock cord, as you correctly guessed, is to cinch the had and foot ends tight - remember you really don't need those very tight at all. It's tempting to cinch them down right good … but really, you're better off just tightening them a tiny bit.

Just hook the primary suspension to the biners, and hook the biners to the ends of your hammock, and you're good to go!

Hammock
    DIY PoorBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Thanks a bunch! I feel like an idiot not hooking up that loop to the S-biners, but I just wanted to make sure. THANKS!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Unless he changed the design since I received my new UQ three weeks ago, I think you're overcomplicating things. Yes, the primary suspension is a continuous loop of shock cord running through channels. The secondary suspension connects to line locs.

20140824_220816.jpg

The primary suspension is at the top of the pic; the secondary on the bottom. But don't let me explain it: here's Stormcrow's explanation of the primary/secondary suspension.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ary+suspension
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is this a good UQ for all year use? will i get too hot in the summer or can i vent by removing sleeping bag! Thanks, just asking someone who has one!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    I use mine year round, sometimes have to loosen the uq to vent it.

• + New Posts