DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I'll echo the above...

Do try it, but try it on the "cheap" first, if you can.

I have a very nice Exped DownMat 9 that is great on the ground in the winter. It'd do OK in the hammock. Ultimately I'm glad I was patient and found a nice, gently used UQ for $180 (often found here on the HF for under $200). I already had the DM9 when I started hammocking so it wasn't as big a hit to the wallet.

I've used a 20°F TQ as my top insulation for several years, even on the ground: lighter, less bulky, less expensive (can be).

More/better insulation is usually preferred underneath, as opposed to compensating on top. In a sleeping bag, on top of a pad, it should be warm enough. That's a lot of squirming around, though, for my taste (which is why I quickly went with an UQ rather than deal with the mat(s) in the hammock).

Definitely try to get to a group hand before you drop a bunch of coin. You certainly won't have trouble re-selling most things hammock related as long as they're still in good shape.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I am hesitant to spend 350 dollars on a down filled accessory to a hammock that can be used for one very specific purpose and not much else (though I suppose you could get creative).
    Your "specific purpose" for an underquilt is keeping you warm at temperatures 70 degrees and below. I see you live in PA. How many nights does the temperature go below 70 degrees?

Well;

That's how many nights you'll need an underquilt. Pads really don't cut it as most are too narrow and none of them stay where they should in a hammock. Pads should be considered as a stop gap until you get an underquilt.

If you want to save money, go with climashield, but don't go without an underquilt.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It sounds like you want to get an UQ, but are trying to rationalize your way out of it cuz you don't want to spend that much money. I know how you feel....Im the same way....lol. Nothing wrong with being smart about how you spend your hard earned cash in this day and age.
    Id say try to pad for awhile and see how you like it. If it works for you...great!
    Im still a noob with hammock camping, but I jumped right in and am now a full time hanger. Took the bed out back a few weeks ago and burned it....haha.
    I tried a pad for all of 2 nights and decided that it just didn't do it for me.
    Do what works for you....2 cents.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A sleeping bag and pad/pads will do you fine. I used them a long time before going UQ.
    Something likean ENO Hot-spot will help you manage pads and keep you on it without having to use double layers. http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...%7Cbing%7Cmain
    Main thing is to get out and learn to pitch and use the hammock for maximum comfort and fun.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Shug camping at -40 << click that
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a JRB Old Rag (5 to 15F rated). I can use it as a TQ, UQ, or I use it often with my Synmat 9 pad when I am on the ground. In fact, over the winter is a highly coveted item for use on the sofa in the basement to watch TV under. For use around the house I have a cover for it that I made out of twin sized (Thrift Store purchase) top sheets.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I had the same thoughts as you and ended up getting a less expensive synthetic to start. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...der_Quilt.html
    For a top quilt I am just using my sleeping bag opened up.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    After 2 nights with a top quality 0 degree down rectangle sleeping bag from LL Bean & no bottom insulation, I had Cold But Sindrome. Ordered a incubator 20 & love it.

In summer I tried a thermorest pad & the famous wollyworld pad. Chased them all over the hammock all night. I will say the wallyworld pad ($5) works a lot better than the thermorest & yes I underinflated it to help conform to hammock shape. I use the incubator even in summer & vent it.

Just got 2 Jarbrdges during AHs sale to use for summer & lite spring/fall. Haven't tried them yet but I know they will work fine.

As far as top quilt I'm still using my LL sleeping bag. Personal opinion on TQs is there is only a weight/bulk savings over a sleeping bag which is no issue for me as I don't hike real long distances.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I have been using a pad in my single layer hammocks for a while. It ain't easy, and I don't really like it. It's doing the job for now, but I have an UQ on order and am just waiting for it to arrive so I can ditch the pad.

That said, many people dig a pad. You may be one of them. Whatever works for you, is exactly what you need.

For a TQ, I currently use a USGI patrol bag with a Jacks R Better fleece liner with footbox. This works for now, but I'll need better if I want to keep hanging into late fall, and definitely winter.

I'm learning as I go, but if I had my druthers, I'd have a full UQ/TQ setup from day one. I have to say though, figuring out what works for me and what doesn't is a big part of the fun in my hanging experience.

My only warning.... be careful, it's addictive.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    My best suggestion is to just try it, because what works for you is the best thing. I would suggest trying it with either an easy way to bail out or with a tried and true back up. Sub zero temps are not the place to get stuck. Having said that I like many other have ended up with the under quilt solution too. I think that you can getaway pretty low with a pad, I switch because of comfort though. When I hike it it to get away and relax. The UQ for me is so much more comfortable that it make my trips more enjoyable. I like the idea of showing up to a group hang to try one out before the big investment too.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast