Hello from Houston Texas.

I am technically not a hanger yet. I have been reading a lot from this forum and others while overly researching the concept. I have a Hennessy Deluxe Explorer coming in with the longer straps and it should arrive this Wednesday. I have found a wealth of knowledge on this forum and decided to join the community to give back a little of what I have gained so far. The wife and I have decided to get away from car camping ( Which at the moment consists of a 3 bedroom cabin style tent with a 8000 BTU window unit and an electric flush toilet), and get more active. We decided to start backpacking and hiking to get ourselves away from the computers, out of the house, in shape, and enjoying the outdoors. I want to apologize ahead of time for any ignorant questions I may have in the near future. Lol.

The wife and I live in Houston Texas and hope to get more heavily into backpacking and travelling the country in search of great trails and great times. So to start if people have any experience they would like to share with good trails in Texas, we would appreciate it greatly.

P.S. I will be copying and pasting this into the "What Made You Become a Hanger" thread as it will be almost an identical post either way. Hopefully that will not annoy someone or break any rules.

Thanks for all of the information thus far.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Welcome from Baton Rouge. I like your thought process. Nice that you and the wife are doing this together.

RedStix

My wife is registering on her computer right now. I was trying to look up any rules regarding multiple accounts from the same IP and do not want her account and my account to be in violation of any rules or cause any trust issues. I have been and still am either Baby Huey or Baby2Huey3 on quite a few forums out there, just not very many that she has been interested enough in to start an account of her own. So if we need any special permissions or anything, please let us know.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice.
    Last edited by Baby Huey; 08-17-2014 at 13:47. Reason: Clumsy Fingers

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida! Your doing yourself a favor by getting out of those campgrounds.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hi everybody I am Mrs. Baby Huey, I am so ready to get into the Hammock camping and simplifying our camping experience; getting back to basics.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome from far a West Texas! There's a lot of great info and a fantastic community to answer any questions you have.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF and TX hammock camping as well. It will probably be less confusing if your wife joins in on women specific threads and people can see it is her not you, just like with F.B. and most other social media.
    I have heard people complain that TX and the Houston are in particular is not great for backpacking due to the hot and humid summers but there are many wonderful cooler months of the year a lot of different state and national wildlife and forest lands and an incredible amount of private ranch land once you get to know those good people. So the "trails" in Texas go on and on for thousands of miles and during the "best" times of the year the game warden may be the only one you see and can say Hi to. Be sure to test out you gear close to home and walk as much as possible. Like a good Texas Kenneth Cooper (father of modern aerobic centers) said "walk your dog everyday even if you don't have a dog". ;-)

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Welcome from MD, and congrats on deciding to hang. Good times, and restful nights sleep are ahead of you both!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

We just reserved a site for the Texas Hang, so people will get a chance to meet us both in person if there are any doubts. I just remember that a couple of forums in the past have had issues with multiple accounts from the same IP address. If I am schizophrenic and need two accounts for myself, then the other personalities are keeping it a well hidden secret from me.

Thanks again for the welcomes. We look forward to spending a lot of time hanging together in the near future.

• + New Posts