Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Good advice. Decide if you're a gram weenie or not, and do the testing.

I have used a 20° UQ and TQ down into single digits comfortably, but that is me. Everybody or is it every body, has its own preferences and needs. You won't know yours unless you do the testing. I know you stated, winter never comes in Whoville but you can do some extrapolation from the temps you do know. Try sleeping inside in the hammock without any insulation, note the temps, then add from there.

I do think a 40° TQ or UQ will not serve you well in March on the AT whether it's a NOBO or SOBO. You'll want more. The 20° may be the compromise until the weather warms and/or you hit Virginia. Sadly, the way the weather has been the past two years, no one knows if you'll bake or hike in a deep freeze. Nothing normal about normal these days.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    we can give you opinions based on our own experiences but that may not match with what would be right for you. i'm usually like a sweat lodge at night, in the sense that i burn up so i usually use a sleeping bag and thats it. i have multiple bags for diff temps though. however, like everybody else said, you need to try this stuff out for yourself. play with combinations if possible. always keep receipts from purchases, just incase you need to return. but after so long, you will learn what feels the best to you for each situation.

Thank you guys, I was mostly interested in hearing from experiences you have faced. I know there are tons of threads out there asking the same question over and over again. But I haven't found one where I have an Xlite and a 40 degree quilt, and a blackbird. But I guess I would rather spend and try the gear and just take a +-$100 in loss for trying and reselling.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you go for the WBBB, also have a look at the WB hammock sock. I found it adds a lot of insulation.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Everyone needs different configurations to stay warm, and you can use a particular set of gear with success one night, and the next night have the exact same temp but different weather conditions and be miserable (i.e. differing humidity or wind). The only way is to try it out. I am a very cold sleeper, so personally would never be able to use a 40° TQ until June in the Mid-Atlantic. Read a lot of trail journals and a common statement is "I sent my winter gear home too early"

IMHO, you should err on the side of caution and take too much and send it home, than take too little and get hypothermic. You don't hear of people sweating to death on the AT in March or April, but there are horror stories about winter weather snafus...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12