Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Thru hike comfort

Hello guys, I am planning on doing a thru hike this upcoming March (beginning of the month). So I understand weather is a problem (being cold). I have only used my hammock for small amounts of times and barely last night I finally got the perfect hang (oh was it cozy!!!) So I tried using my Xlite (11 ounces 3.8 R-value) in my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter U.L. and it felt as if I was in a cloud! I was so cozy and I then added my HG incubator 40 incubator. And I felt the heat on my back right away.

Okay so now to business, if my comfort was so good, do you think it would increase much if I was to buy a WBBB double layer, I like the features and I would be using my Xlite and HG 40 instead of a lower temperature quilt as it is only about 4 ounces of difference and I can stay in a shelter or hostel if I want to. I am trying to convince myself to carry and extra 2 pounds for comfort and versatility but my gram weenie senses kick in right away and tell me go to the floor.

I already have a low weight base and my TQ is a myog 10 degree quilt for winter and 40 degree for summer and plan on using a cuben winter palace the whole way.

Thank you for the responses/comments.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, the question comes down to one of comfort vs being a total gram weenie. What will it be worth to you to wake up refreshed each morning vs having to crawl on the ground in a light weight tent or tarp tent configuration? When it rains out on your hike, what would it be worth in comfort and convenience, being high and dry in your hammock vs having to crawl around in the mud? How many more hanging spots area available on the trail compared to flat, level spots on high ground for a tent or tarp tent?

The decision is one you will have to make for yourself.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    WL Summer/HG 20*
    I am in a similar dilemma. Cant decide tent or hammock for my thru hike. I wanted to go the hammock the whole way but am concerned about the cold in the begining.

Images
    beginning of march you can get single digits at night on trail. you will need to test your gear for under temps this winter. how cold does it get in Who?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    If I were in your shoes I'd get in a bunch of practice/testing like kayak Karl says.
    You might see if there is a group hang in Whoville so you can try out a BB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I started out April 7 with a tent, a Exped Synmat UL 7 air pad and had my wife ship my WBBB after 5 days of miserable sleep.

I had a Mt Washington 3 bottom quilt and a Hudson River for a top quilt with the hammock. The first night with the hammock I had a cold butt so I used a 1/4" pad for added warmth. Slept great for the remaining 6 weeks of my hike.

Went out camping a few weeks ago and used the tent again. Went back to my hammock after 2 days.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72, WB Traveler, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly, McCat Ul
    Insulation
    UG TQ&UQ& BlkMamba
    Suspension
    Tree straps@ Whoop
    Where is this thru hike taking you or did I miss that point. Is above tree line??

I live in North Texas where winter never comes. I have yet to see a day below 30. The thru hike is the Appalachian trial. And thank you for the responses, I do agree having to crawl out of a tent is the worst experience of camping.

Do any of you think I would be able to accomplish single digit in comfort with a 40 degree incubator plus an Xlite? I know some people do it with 1/4 inch pads that have really low R-value, and using a women's version Xlite is 3.8 (lighter weight and higher R-value than men's)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    No one can give you advice that will be as useful to you as your own time and experience in a hammock testing your setup in various weather situations.

My first question is why would you want to go from a comfy warm hammock to sleeping in a shelter? Sure spend time, prepare your meals and socialize at the shelter but head off to sleep in your hammock away from the mice, the snoring, the noisy late arrivals.

I'd start with a 0* UQ, pick up a cheap yoga mat from Walmart so I could stay in shelters through the Smokys then get rid of it after that. A 20* uq is my most often used quilt, it can get down in the low teens easily. If you carry reflectix for cold spots, dress warmly and use other tricks like the hot water bottle you can extend the comfort range even more. But here's the thing, you need to practice with your gear and develop a sense of trust in your gear and what works for you.

Once you start hiking on an every day basis, you'll come to understand how important it is to be warm and comfortable at night while your body is recovering. Then you can weigh the value of the ounces in your gear more appropriately.

David

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmolition View Post
    I live in North Texas where winter never comes. I have yet to see a day below 30. The thru hike is the Appalachian trial. And thank you for the responses, I do agree having to crawl out of a tent is the worst experience of camping.

Do any of you think I would be able to accomplish single digit in comfort with a 40 degree incubator plus an Xlite? I know some people do it with 1/4 inch pads that have really low R-value, and using a women's version Xlite is 3.8 (lighter weight and higher R-value than men's)
    Plain and simple, plan a car-camping trip somewhere where you can see cold temperatures before going out on your thru. There is nothing like first-hand experience to tell you what you like and what you don't.

My experience has not been below 21* F; that being said, above that, I'm fairly comfortable with a lot less than most folks (I'm an human furnace when I sleep, assuming that I've gotten the calories I need). On the other hand, my friend and fellow member here MightyMouse sleeps exceptionally cold. Given the same gear, we would probably have somewhere around a 20* or 30* difference in comfort.

There's a lot of variation between hangers, and I wouldn't trust a piece of gear in extreme temps until I'd tried it under semi-controlled conditions (no more than an easy mile from a road) that mirror the ones I expect to use it in.

FLRider's First Rule of Gear Testing: do it where you can bail to safety.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast