Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    markr6, Thanks for the info. It can be quite confusing to figure out the regulations with so many different groups managing the land.

Three weeks ago I camped at Palomar in Barker Valley which is in a remote corner of the mountains. It was a nice place, a bit far as I did not drive the truck trail to the spur which was 8mi to the spur and 3.1mi into the valley. Didn't help I underestimated the trek time and arrived after dark. I still need to check out the other side of Palomar. Form what I've heard, there are areas to string a hammock at campsites and elsewhere that are beautiful.

From talking with the rangers in Palomar, Palomar does not require any permits anymore. An adventure pass is needed for parking at many places. Other sections of the Cleavland National Forest sill require permits.

Mt. Laguna requires a permit but they do it over the phone so it is really quick. Finding a legal site at Mt. Laguna can be difficult as you can't stay in the recreation area while dispersed camping. A campsite would be much easier, I passed one that was right off the PCT that looked good and might be worth checking out. Mt. Laguna is dead simple to get to- 8 east to the S1.

Next week I'm thinking of checking out Lower Santa Ysabel trail to Boden Canyon, but I still need to call and get the details. It turns out there is no overnight camping allowed, only hiking. Now I'm looking for somewhere in Palomar.
    Last edited by counts; 09-19-2014 at 15:07. Reason: Additional Details
    (o\!/o)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' DCF w/ winter
    Insulation
    20 Deg HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch web w/ beetl
    Images
    Interested in any more experiences and hammock friendly sites here in the San Diego area. The wife and I are getting serious into hiking/camping adventures, but work gets in the way of anything more than weekend outings.

I was hanging in William Heise today and was told in no uncertain terms by a grounds keeper that hammocks were not allowed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12