Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Double Hammock a must for Backpacking Big Guy?

I'm not Hodor sized or anything, but am 6'5" 220 and have been maliciously dubbed goob the noob. I've bought a simple hammock to just get a feel for this business, 60" wide, 118" long. Once I find my sea legs, I'll get a hammock package better suited to my particulars if necessary.

Question: for a bigger numbskull like myself, does a longer or wider hammock increase comfort much? And of the two, which is more important?

I'm soon to have my first hammock sleepover where a whole night in it will tell me a lot; so far, a short rest in the backyard makes my single hammock seem infinitely more comfortable than a tent ( I asked myself, who would choose lying on the ground over a hammock on a patio or in the back yard? Answer: only a fool or a rogue)

(I will be using my hammock as a backpacker, so weight is a bit of an issue and if a single hammock is fine then why bother with more weight.)
    (Additionally, you may ask, just sleep in it tonight if you're so worried about it? Well, here in the merciless Arizona desert lows are often in the mid to high 80's, not sleeping weather for the princess that I am.)

So what's the word?: is longer and wider better, as far as hammocks go, of course.
    Last edited by goober; 08-13-2014 at 09:12.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6' 200 and prefer a 11' long Darien from Dream Hammock. 60" wide is plenty good for me. I've tried 10' hammocks but the extra foot is worth the weight.

My full time hammock is the huge tablecloth 156" x 90". There is extra material on the sides that hangs loose.

So I think longer is more important than wider.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    I have a Wilderness logics Night owl w/ the bug bag Marty sells and Warbonnet XLC Blackbird.

I am 5'10" and tip the scales at 300+ lbs. I think these are wide enough because gathered end hammocks do squeeze in a bit but when you are at the diagonal position it doesn't matter so much to me.

They netting seems to be what is a little small. But note that w/ the XLC I have only used 2 nights so far...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Extra hammock length would be more comfortable for you I think. In terms of materials, you may find it feels more stretchy the closer you are to the maximum weight rating. If you were to lay in a single layer hammock with a 250lb rating, it will hold you fine but it will feel a little different than a double layer rated for 300lb+. That has been my experience anyways. I use a SL BB rated for 250lbs and I'm just a little more than that. I don't mind how it feels but others may. I'm not worried about it failing because I'm slightly over the weight rating. It's not like you're going to get into a hammock and if you're 10lbs over it's going to rip open.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    I'm 6'4 250lbs and I have both Warbonnet BB models and I like the XLC 11ft most, for the extra length. Ive also made a a few of my own, 12.5ft long x 6ft wide. it lays nice and flat, however it has a little more weight.

• + New Posts