Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NEWB help with Hennessy

Just started getting into the Hammock camping thing in UT and love it, but have some problems/questions I was hoping to get help with.

1. The built in hammock ridge line is droopy and not as high as I would like. I noticed that hanging various pitches changes the slack/tightness of the line. I have to hang it tight to get a tight ridge line? Any ideas on this?

2. I want to get away from doing all the lashings around the tree straps Hennessy provides. I got some eno tree straps and thought about cutting the Hennessy suspension line and doing a double Larks head knot on a carabiner for quicker setup. Is this a bad idea? I didn't want to cut or adjust it until I knew for sure. Will the double larks head damage the rope once all my weight is applied to the hammock?

3. I've been using a truckers hitch to tighten up my rain fly and put two prussik knots on the rain fly ridgeline to secure the clips... any other useful knots I should learn to assist in setting up rainfly or hammock. Thanks

THanks all,

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Welcome to Hammock camping!

1. The RL should have a bit of tightness to it but nothing near a guitar string. Typically if you hang it anywhere around a 45 degree angle you should be fine. Unlike a ENO i would never hang the HH completely taut, doesn't lie well and way too much tension on the RL.

2. I actually had the same idea and have been doing ever since. I however have not cut my rope but made a big loop out of both ends which the carabiner sits in. In my opinion this is the most simple hanging setup although not the best for weight. I would not cut the rope because you essentially damaging the hammock's resale value and if you do not like the length you can always add multiple knots to make it a mini slap strap buckles to be really versatile.

3. Watch shug on his Tarptorials..... everything you need to know is there!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

NEWB help with Hennessy

First of all, don't get frustrated about making some changes to your hangs. A few people stop hanging because their first experience wasn't perfect. My first night in the Hennessy was subpar but when I got the sweet spot I was hooked.

1. You need to see what you prefer in your ridgeline. We are all a little different. I like my hennessy RL to be quite tight. When I used the ropes I would make sure the hammock was pulled tight with the foot end about 2-3 inches higher than the head. That always made a good night.

2. Changing the suspension is something you should be patient about. I have switched my hennessy suspension a number of times. I have whoopies on now but I might make another switch soon. As said before, don't cut the original rope. Look at some videos and think about what you would like. My buddy uses a webbing/ring suspension and loves it.

3. If you get the ridgeline tight enough and then get your tarp tight your fly will be perfect.
    Last edited by SLCpod; 08-13-2014 at 02:45. Reason: post incomplefe

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I've gone to a separate ridge line for my tarp which makes life much easier.
    I have been using webbing/ring suspension but felt like changing it out so I just ordered these from Dutch
    http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html (cinch buckle with 15" loops and 15' straps). They are supposed to be here today, and I'm looking forward to dropping the rope.
    Like SLC, I prefer my Hennessey hung a little tight, I can pinch the ridgeline to about a 45 degree, but that's it.

Best suggestion is to play with you hammock awhile, you will eventually decide what you like or don't like about the hang and can go from there.

For me, I've pimped out my HH with the 2QZQ zipper mod, while leaving the bottom entry untouched, and now loosing the rope and adding the loops with cinch buckle and straps.

The journey to get your HH just right for you, is part of the fun.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a somewhat loose RL in my HH. I find a somewhat (not floppy but not taunt) RL will tighten up nicely when I lay down in the hammock and will give me a good lay. Too tight and I end up with a ridge under my legs. Too loose and I get a sore neck from the angle. You will have to play around to figure out what works best for you.

I also would not cut the HH stock suspension. Just tie off a couple of figure 8 on the bight in the suspension and use a carbiner in it. I did that for a while until I moved over to descender rings in my set up. Will it damage the HH suspension? I don't know but I been using mine with either the figure 8 or rings for almost 2 years now with no ill effects and my HH is hung in the basement most of the time. If the stock suspection ever start to show wear I am going to swap over to Dutch's straps.

For the tarp if you are using the stock HH tarp you might want to check out Derek's video at The Ultimate Hang: http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/

If you are not using the stock HH tarp, do a You Tube search for Shug tarp hammock. Shug has a number of really good video's that will give you everything you need to know about tarps and keep you laughing while you learn.

I've always found my comfort with my Explorer UL a lighter tighter than normal.

I hope that you quickly find the right combination that makes you comfortable.

Suggestions:

-Do nothing to change your hammock for at least a year. Changing, cutting, etc., the suspension lines voids your one-year warranty on workmanship and materials.

-Note that the designer (Tom Hennessy) recommends that his hammocks be hung level, somewhat snugly (not bowstring tightly), and evenly between trees. My preference with over 10 years (nearly 15) of Hennessy use is to have my feet a little higher than my head. When my hanging supports have been too close together (rare occasions), my ridge line has been loose. Otherwise, once the hammock is weighted by my body, the ridge line becomes tight and sets the hammock body's curve.

-If you get the chance to hear Tom talk about the hows and whys of his designs, you will find that he has put a lot research and thought into his products. Using carabiners and other metal parts, super tight bends, etc., can cause excessive wear encouraging failures. Most metal items also add weight.

-The least perfect night in a hammock is better than the best night on the ground...

Good luck!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    I've had my expedition for awhile now and just switched out my suspension for whoopie slings and love it. I have some dutchware hardware on the way to play with a few other options.

For the longest time I hung my expedition flat and tight and slept okay in it. However in the past few months I have been hanging at somewhere between 30-45 degrees and this seems to be lying flatter and has been more comfortable. My ridgeline is looser then snugs up once it is under weight.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Blenheim5,

There is a lot of good advice up above. Lot's for you to mull over.

I have a Hennessy Safari Deluxe. When I first got it, I was tempted to opt out of the Hennessy suspension system, (the "rope") and go to something like straps or whoopies. I didn't. Rather, I took Jimmy McSparron's advice, got some descending rings and regularly use that method in concert with my Hennessy tree hugger straps and it works like a charm and I'm set up in two minutes or less if necessary.

Here's the link to McSparron's video. See for your self if this might be an option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

No matter what, have a blast.

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I too went with the two descending rings with a carabiner. I find setting up is now easier and I can make simple adjustments at both ends faster.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast