Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling
    +1 on whoopie slings, they eliminate tying knots and are fast to set up. I hang my tarp separate if I need it higher off my hammock for better air flow in warm weather or lower it in winter.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I read that the stock rope on the Hennessy does not hold up well when used with descender rings, as shown in the McSparron video. I don't have any personal experience with this, but read about it just AFTER I purchased descender rings and biners for my Ultralight Explorer.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Well, I can't say your experience will match mine but I been using descender rings with my HH for about 2 years now with no ill effects. I actually keep one of the HH up in the basement all the time as it is a great afternoon nap place and my nephews love it when they come over. So far, I have not experienced any issues.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I ditched the rope and the descender rings I had been using. My Dutch gear arrived yesterday and I installed the Amsteel Continous Loops with Cinch Buckle. Took about 15 minutes. I went out in the backyard to try out the new system and WOW. Soooooo much quicker. I bought the whole setup with 15' tree straps and Dutch clips. Basically you go up to the tree, throw the tree strap around and hook to the Dutch clip and pull the slack out of the strap until you have the hammock the way you want it. Don't see how it could be any easier or quicker. Works like a champ.

Big thanks to the Dutchmiester...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blenheim5 View Post
    Just started getting into the Hammock camping thing in UT and love it, but have some problems/questions I was hoping to get help with.

1. The built in hammock ridge line is droopy and not as high as I would like. I noticed that hanging various pitches changes the slack/tightness of the line. I have to hang it tight to get a tight ridge line? Any ideas on this?

2. I want to get away from doing all the lashings around the tree straps Hennessy provides. I got some eno tree straps and thought about cutting the Hennessy suspension line and doing a double Larks head knot on a carabiner for quicker setup. Is this a bad idea? I didn't want to cut or adjust it until I knew for sure. Will the double larks head damage the rope once all my weight is applied to the hammock?

3. I've been using a truckers hitch to tighten up my rain fly and put two prussik knots on the rain fly ridgeline to secure the clips... any other useful knots I should learn to assist in setting up rainfly or hammock. Thanks

THanks all,
    1. Hang it a little loose (about a 3" sag from being tight) and give it a try.
    2. Try the 1 ring method in this post (note the links to videos) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...84#post1287984
    3. I use the stock HH prussik knots, but in addition I added a 1/8" shock cord loop with a prussik knot so keep tension on the tarp. The shock cord loop/prussik is just a little farther out than the stock prussik. Stretch the shock cord and put it on the stock tarp hook/ring. The stock plastic hook is big enough to hold the shock cord too.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Try selecting trees alittle farther apart, if they are close together your angle will greatly affect slack in your ridge line.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Too tight and I end up with a ridge under my legs. Too loose and I get a sore neck from the angle.
    This has been exactly my experience as well. It's tough to figure out what that not too tight and not too loose spot looks like. I've quit worrying about the hang angle on the suspension and instead watch the ridgeline for clues. There's a certain amount of tightness that I'm learning to look for in the ridgeline. When I see it, I know I've got the hammock in the right spot.

I'd also second the comment (from Timberwolf, I think) about picking trees farther apart. There's a sweet spot there as well. Too close and things don't work well, especially if you're putting the tarp on the suspension as designed. What has helped me more than anything else is repeatedly hanging in my back yard (I've slept outside the last two nights).

Finally, I've quit beating myself up about making repeated adjustments. I set up, check the lay, get out, change something, lather, rinse, repeat. So what if it takes me three tries? In my back yard, the fiddle factor adds to the enjoyment.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 40 degree
    Suspension
    HH w/ garda hitch
    I use the garda hitch in McSparron's vid as well, 3 years now with no ill effects on the stock rope. I did however move the tarp off the HH RL and prefer it this way. My expedition is most comfy when the RL is tighter as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    My first hammock was a HH Explorer Deluxe and I have been hanging for about a year and a half. I also decided to go with the descender rings with the stock rope but had some slippage issues. Within the first few hangs, I switched out by suspension for whoopie slings with carabiners and have never looked back. I also use Atlas straps instead of the stock tree huggers. I have found that this gives me a lot of room for various tree distances/sizes. I did not have to cut my stock ropes or alter the hammock in any way except for removing the rope. I have also seen people make loops with the original rope and then connect their whoopies to that. I have been very happy with my current system.

I also had some issues with the loose ridgeline. It got better as I gained more experience and did some experimenting with different hanging angles and such but never went away completely. My solution was to use a small loop of line and tie a prussik around my ridgeline. I attached a biner to it and used it to take up the slack in the ridgline. I would slide the prussik down to take up the slack then clipped the biner to a pre-existing loop in the end of the ridgeline. I did this when I was in the hammock and only tightened enough to take up the slack and lift the bug net off my face.

I used my HH for about 9 months and really liked it but it always seemed just a little small. I have since gone to a DH 11' Roaming Gnome and I absolutely love it. My son still uses my Hennessey and it is a great hammock. Don't be afraid to try some new things and you will find your perfect hang. I have learned so much from this forum and I encourage you to continue using it. There are a lot of really smart and experienced people here and they are very willing to share their expertise.

HYOH and enjoy!

October sale

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast