Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Rain is not the only thing that a tarp catches. Sap. Bird ****. Small branches. Acorns....
    And cats that attack you while you're drinking your morning coffee!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I will also suggest snakeskins, but only those from MountainGoat, hers are perfect sizing and specs!

A continuous ridgeline allows for end to end sliding adjustment of the tarp location, which I find preferable to two individual lines. I have deployed my tarp three ways on clear days. 1) Fully, as intended to allow for privacy, protection from other than rain stuff above or just to get my set up dialed in to my liking. 2) On standby, continuous ridge line in place, tarp stowed in snakeskins for fast deployment if needed. Keep your stake bag handy too, because you will need it at hand if you need to put out the tarp for the rain. 3) Fully hung, out of snakeskins but both halves pulled over to one side of my hammock. This is another nice privacy move, say the side toward other hangers, or a nearby trail. If it rains here, you can just disconnect the tarp guy lines for the folded under side, toss the tarp over the hammock, drive the stakes for that side, whip your lines into place and done. None are too laborious for the calculated risk that star gazing/woods watching will outweigh the chance of rain.

Besides keeping eyes off of you, rain off of you, sap, crap, acorns, pine needles and such off you your tarp also may keep a bit more heat trapped in your hammock area, the closer the pitch to your hammock the more noticeable I've felt this. Another consideration.

Regardless of what we think, it is all about what you want to do, how you want to do it and why you decide each night which way is best for you!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sleeping tarpless is terrific. Less work at night and in the morn'...if all goes well.
    Having the tarp pitched and half pulled over is a great way to do it. Have your stakes ready or marlin-spiked on your lines for when the rain comes. Check above you for shagnasties. I have woken up with a hammock full of pine needles and sticks but never felt them.
    If it rains it makes for good practice to set up the tarp quickly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 half pulled over as mentioned by Shug above. There were some good photos of this in a recent thread about this recently but it is to late for me to look them up. Also if you have a strong net over your hammock that should catch or deflect most of the twigs and leaves if you are a semi "woodys" sort of person but if not then perhaps you'er more of a "afghan by the indoor fireplace gal". I know some guys who will only put up a tiny diamond tarp if it is pouring down rain, but they were former special forces and not typical car campers. Also with the tarp pulled over half way the heat radiating from the ground and from you can escape and you will not feel so hot and humid. Provided you are not trying to intentionally detox by sweating buckets in 100°F + weather all covered over like that. If the turkey or whatever are rosting for the night above you throw a stick or stone to move them on to the next tree after bagging one for supper. LOL

A minimal diamond tarp helps make this easier and faster and is one of several complains I have with using a winter tarp like WB Superfly in the summer (i.e. not recommend). Setting the tarp up very high helps but it still blocks your view and traps heat and humidity. Just my 2 cents. A vent along the ridgeline would just add weight and invite failure.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-13-2014 at 05:12.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Just DIY your own clear tarp. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=polycyro I was doubtful when I read through this idea but, I made one and was surprised by how solid it was. Not cottage vendor solid but, for DIY from the hardware store it is light and durable. The best part is that you can see all the way around you. I'm really looking forward to hanging out in the rain with it, should be beautiful to watch the drops hit and run off.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12