Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

How to Handle Dog with Hammock

I have always camped with my dog in the tent. How do you handle it with a hammock? Does the woofer just stay nearby? Any experiences to share? My dog is a big German Shepard and would probably damage the hammock and take up too much room anyway.

thanks

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    we have 3 dogs, 2 sleep with my girlfriend at her hammock and the other (german shepherd/lab) sleeps with me.....i lay his blanket down at the head end and clip him to my hammock suspension, try and do it so he can't get tangled in any lines in case he gets up in the middle of the night, i'm pretty sure he would out doing some investigating in the middle of the night if he wasn't hooked up and think it's safer this way

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

I have a 50 lb retriever, who prefers to sleep in the hammock with me if possible (so far this has not damaged my grand trunk, but I did have a seam rip in a hammock bliss hammock, although that was under my head, not at the dog end at all). In the summer though it's too hot in the hammock, and she'll sleep on the ground inside my extra long fronkey style bugnet. I also took a piece of tyvek and folded it, with velcro on the 3 open sides. I can put a towel inside as a mat and insulation if needed, plus it's a water barrier and a towel if it's wet and she sleeps on the ground. Not a big fan of wet dog in the hammock!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    If you use the search function you will find lots of prior discussions about what to do with your K9 when hanging.

I started out wanting my Medical Alert Dog in the hammock. Bought a Hennessy that would hold both of us. First thing learned was a nap together was nice. Sleep together, not going to work. My Pug worked fine sleeping in the hammock, he just glued himself to my side and that is where he stayed. My Medical Alert Dog is a Bouvier des Flandres, she weighs in at 105 pounds before her dinner. She is a nice snuggle for a limited time. No sleeping with her, just too much togetherness.

I keep her under my hammock, on a mat with tyvek under lining. I have to keep her tethered because she would chase things that move around in the night. We recently aquired a very tiny dog, we put a harness on her with a metal lead. It is easy just to stick her out of the hammock when nature calls, then lift her back in when she is finished. She wears her booties in the hammock, to protect the hammock from her nails.

Try doing a search and have a look at the prior posts about dogs and hammocks. Just like us each dog is different and handles being outside in the night differently. I believe all dogs should be protected from danger, so to my mind tethering is important.

Hammock
    11ft DIY, Gathered End with bug net
    Tarp
    3mx3m with doors
    Insulation
    diy down uq and tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    made my dog her own hammock, hangs under mine double decked with own mini whoopie slings attached to mine own.
    works the very best, she also has her own UQ

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR and BB
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ, Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Nice!!!! Got any pics of this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by The_hanging_dog View Post
    made my dog her own hammock, hangs under mine double decked with own mini whoopie slings attached to mine own.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The_hanging_dog View Post
    Oh yea, I'd love to see some photos of that setup.
    Sounds too cool. Not sure what my Australian Terrier would do in his own hammock, but he does love his comfort...... just like his owner.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I made a reflectix pad and put it slightly under me and to the left of the head end of my hammock. I then secure my 70 lb. dog in the same fashion as Boothill and his shepherd. Before bedtime I use the pad to sit on while I make dinner, eat, and relax. A little bulky but adds little weight. I simply roll it up and attach it to the bottom of my pack.

Cheers

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    This thread is somewhat disappointing as there are no photos of said sheps and labs..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast