Superfly vs MacCat Four Season Tarps

I'm new to hammock camping and planning a two week trip to Iceland in October with a BlackBird XLC and set of struts. I'm trying to decide between a Warbonnet SuperFly and MacCat Four Season tarp. I've also looked at a few cuben fiber tarps, and while I can stomach their prices, I can't stand how they look and I don't think I'd benefit much from the reduced weight.

Recommendations between the two with specific reasons why one might be better would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You probably need to research OES customer service issues on this forum. Guy's got his own sticky for poor communications skills. Try giving him a call or sending him an e-mail before purchasing - you'll get a feel for what you might expect if you conduct business with him.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    This past weekend I camped in the wonderful warmth of a forested area near Houston for the annual Texas Butt Bake, hyperbolic it was fine. I used a WB SUPERFLY and my friend sharing a tree next to me used the Mac Cat 4 Season. The only difference that I noticed was that the "Superfly" had side panel pullouts while the Mac Cat did not. This time I did not use them because was up in porch mode the entire time. In fact having a tarp above in hot dry weather is of questionable value at all, it only traps heat and induces more sweat. Think Native Sweat Lodge.
    However, in very cold and or wet weather I do like the bit of extra space these panel pullouts provide. But they can leak and require silnet and add a bit of weight and added point of failure. Just my 2 cents. Both are great tarps if you have the need for such, cold and strong wet winds or are doing some cool indigenous sweat thing to purify yourself. Otherwise just make a simple diamond tarp and a single Grizz door for the direction the wind is coming from. Or 2 dozen other great options, I am a tarp agnostic. ;-) Have fun.

Edit: If you decide to go with a tarp that has side panel pullouts consider a "mini pole mod". Several good threads on this. Some people like it if in an area with few trees others try it and think it is the silliest waste of pack space and weight ever. "Not all new toys on the TV are as much fun as what they appear." That's what my mommy said.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-12-2014 at 19:27. Reason: edit: pole mod

Thanks for the help. After a bit more research I've decided to go with the Superfly. I'll look into a mini pole mod.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Once you go cuben it just makes a lot of sence with the bigger tarps and the wind protection it affords for the weight, camo is pricey but would be a better look for your tastes.

You'll fiind the Superfly a very workable winter tarp to compare any other tarp to. Not that it's better, just well proportioned and quality made. It's the smart move even if you go to another tarp later the Superfly will sell used here on the forum in short order for a good price.

OES also makes a solid product, I bought mine used so can't attest to customer service issues. They are just as popular and would sell quickly used.

In the end I'd go cuben, it allows me to justify carrying a light 4 season tarp anytime of year. Last week in the Maroon Bells, two of my compantions pulled their tent vestibules up under my porch mode HG winter palace like a dining fly to weather out a storm and prepare our dinner out of the wind and rain. My only complaint about cuben is the odd times I've been setup early in the day and wanted more protection from the sun as cuben tends to be fairly translucent. Maybe others can comment if camo variations are substantially better in this respect.

Don't feel reluctant to try any of these, they'll do a great job for you.

David

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    So, I'm the guy who was next to ntxkyakr at the Butt Bake and I'm guessing he din't notice the side pullouts because I had my doors tied off to them, and since it too was in porch mode, I wasn't using them on the back side, although I really should have. I do have to +1 his comment on there not being any apparent difference between the two tarps. Although I'm looking for another 12x10 tarp without doors, my own opinion is you'd be happy with either one. I do know the OES/MACCat tarp does not come with seam sealing, but that is an additional $6 charge. Like bannerstone, I bought mine here, so can't speak to customer service.

I also own a Cuben tarp although it only has an 8' width. I honestly don't really like it. My biggest issue is that it's too transparent and allows a lot of sunlight through which isn't so bad in someplace like Iceland, but is killer-diller here in Texas, especially in the summer.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

• + New Posts