Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming response in favor of Prusiks. But that's great to know. They're affordable, easy to make, lightweight, soft and probably don't cause as much tangling as some of the hardware alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    I have a continuous ridgeline for my WB SuperFly. It's similar to the picture above, except I have two soft-shackle Prusiks where the two D'Wasps are pictured. One end of the ridgeline has a Dutch Hook spliced onto a fixed eye that gets hooked onto another soft-shackle Prusik for adjustment. The other end is bare, goes around the tree, and then back to a Wasp threaded onto the ridgeline. Each end has good adjustability in case I need to create a 'V' for the hammock suspension to swing within; I have no trouble tightening the tarp on the ridgeline with just the Prusiks (each is four or five loops and holds well) and the mechanical advantage with the Wasp is very nice to have for tightening the ridgeline. The wear on the line is minimal.
    This is the exact set up I have ready to go. I just finished the CRL this past weekend. But since I haven't had it out yet, my mind is still racing with alternative possibilities. Good to know your Prusiks are holding secure with 4 or 5 loops. I think mine are long enough to achieve at least 4.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Nice Dutch Wasp Illustration

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Adventure Co View Post
    would be very adjustable.

I searched to see if anyone was doing this already and couldn't find anything. Has anyone tried this? Any negatives?
    Very good looking illustration. Fast and easy adjustablity is very good in case tarp stretches with heat and time etc.
    Others mentioned the obvious negatives of tiny bit of extra weight and cost and bulk, an issue for some folks but not all.

I would add that the tag ends of the lines you highlighted in yellow would be something I would eventually pull and slippery half hitch but that is just because I like everything very "neat and tighty" when I am certain things are at the correct place and tautness. I.e. "Don't want no flapping string thing whacking my tarp when the west wind kicks up at 2 am." LOL Still can act as a drip line that way. Edit: probably not an issue if plenty of space to stretch out yellow line to full length and leave not tag end dangling and you trust wasp completely, but if space between trees is very tight/short or line is slipping in wasp you may need to get creative, I do failure analysis and work hard trying to think of ways things may fail BTW. Plz don't hate me. LOL

Other fairly obvious observation is never forget how to use a basic prussic because if you lose this H.W. or someone takes it while you are out for a walk, you will be happy to have an easy fall back option.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-12-2014 at 17:11. Reason: edit: issue with tag line, worst case

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Very good looking illustration. Fast and easy adjustablity is very good in case tarp stretches with heat and time etc.
    I would add that the tag ends of the lines you highlighted in yellow would be something I would eventually pull and slippery half hitch but that is just because I like everything very "neat and tighty" when I am certain things are at the correct place and tautness. I do failure analysis and work hard trying to think of ways things may fail.
    Other fairly obvious observation is never forget how to use a basic prussic because if you lose this H.W. or someone takes it while you are out for a walk, you will be happy to have an easy fall back option.
    Thanks ntyxkayakr! I like neat and tighty too. Slippery half hitches would be a good fail safe. And agreed, flapping and whacking is no good in the middle of the night. Two good reasons to tie those tails up.
    I like to carry one or two extra dog bones, and soft shackles just in case. You never know when you'll need 'em. I've used them in the past.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming response in favor of Prusiks. But that's great to know. They're affordable, easy to make, lightweight, soft and probably don't cause as much tangling as some of the hardware alternatives.
    I quit using prusiks. They were either too tight or not tight enough. Sometimes they would bind so tight I couldn't move them at all and would have to untie and retie. Four wraps and the tarp would not stay in place, five wraps and I couldn't move the prusiks. This was with Zingit on zingit.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I quit using prusiks.
    What are you using now instead?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What are you using now instead?
    A Dutch tarp flyz on each tarp dee ring. 12' of zing it with Dutch tarp hook for each end. I just hook the zing it around each tree and adjust with the flyz. No CRL anymore.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    And agreed, flapping and whacking is no good in the middle of the night.
    I will NOT make a joke here.... though it's really hard.

Okay. Anyway... another fan of knots and hitches over hardware. That said though, you did an excellent job on the illustration as was said. Also, that's a creative use of the hardware. If that's what you're digging, by all means use it. HYOH, and stuff.

Nice tarp setup, looks good!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Now now "quinsdad" some of us have long since forsaken those adolescent thought patterns and this is a family friendly forum.
    My view on hardware vs knots and hitches is basically to switch back and forth. Mostly UL for long distance backpacking and heavy on the hardware for car camping. I enjoy both forms of outdoor fun, often with different groups of people. However once I had gone so long without using a figure 9 I forgot how to use it and thought I had dementia. Same thing with Trucker's hitch, forgetting useful stuff for lack of use is not good. Use it or lose it. When you hike up on the "Swedish Bikini Ski Team" or Some Nuns camping and they ask you to help them with their Dutch Wasps, Figure 9's or a slippery half hitch you will not what to let them down. Because God is watching, or at least that is what my Mom said, sort of. LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12