Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Sleeping bag for Yellowstone?

I'm hammocking in Yellowstone in about a month. The average low at that time of year is about 32F. I'm new to hammocking, and wondering how to proceed.

I have a Kelty 0F down sleeping bag. Would this work with a simple pad in the hammock? Do I just climb in it as used in a tent? How should I proceed?

I just don't know how to judge sleeping in freezing temperatures in a hammock.

I might want to get into quilts longer term, but not for this trip. I want to see how I like it.

Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd start with some back yard time at home just to figure out what you are getting into even if you don't hit the low temps.

You have a couple of problems. Narrow pads have a cold spot where there is not pad just nylon above your shoulders. That is why some folks use two pads by crossing a shorty pad where your shoulders are. That also doubles torso insulation. Pads really work better with shoulder to knee, pillow and a smaller foot pad. CCF or an inflatable sit pad both work as foot pads.

When I use a sleeping bag I zip the bottom foot or so to make a box.put in the foot pad. To sleep juse put feet in the box and let the rest drape over like a quilt. Extra bulk is not a problem.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

The 0* down bag and pad should cover your fine. But as Nothermark suggests your shoulders would be vulnerable to getting cold. When I used to use that type of set up I would wear a fleece top since it is less affected by compression.

As far as getting in he bag. Start off by unzipping it leaving only a foot box and pull it over you. You can tuck it in around you as needed. It's very hard to get in a sleeping bag with it zipped up in a hammock.

Where are you going to be in Yellowstone? I'm flying out Sept 6 to drive back with my son JAKERULEZ!!!. He's been in Mammoth for the summer. I don't know if we'll be hanging in the park but plan to at our stops on the way back to VA.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I offer this for some bag in hammock help.
    Have a wonderful trip.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    If you are not limited to weight, I'd definitely consider a CCF and definitely pack a nice pair of thermals to sleep in. "Average" in Yellowstone can turn into really bitter fricken cold as early as September.

Where in the Park do you intend to camp? Keep in mind there are parts around Yellowstone Lake that require hard-side camping due to bear activity.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    I live in the Tetons, and use a 0 degree underquilt year round. It could easily get below freezing that time of year and possibly snow. Be prepared for the worst, hope for the best!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    Thanks to everyone for the info.

@Yojimbo
    We're hiking the Hellroaring Creek Trail along the yellowstone river until Gardiner. Zooming in on Google Earth shows me I probably can find trees to hang at. Everyone else has tents so i don't want to clown it up too much.
    Our hike is Sep. 13,14,15. I hope I don't wake up from the hammock rubbing noses with a Grizzly. Anybody know what bears think about hammocks?

Have fun with your son.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Golite20/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    strap&buckle
    A simple pad is 20" wide pad will provide no insulation for your shoulders in the hammock. at 32F you will need to provide insulation for your shoulders or you will be cold. search for pad extenders. At freezing temperatures , if you can get in to your sleeping bag, I find that it cuts down on drafts that rob heat. Sleeping on a pad can be a challenge, please practice before the trip

• + New Posts