Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Question Will Screwball Sized Tarp Work?

I've been looking for a hammock rainfly. REI had a 75% price reduction on an Alps Mountaineering Floorsaver for its 5 man tent. It was so cheap, $15, that I had to go for it. It weighs just over a pound. I'm assuming it's rainproof and solid enough to use as a rain fly.

Now that I've received it, it has some strange dimensions: it's not a rectangle. It's a trapezoid with one of the parallel edges being much shorter than the other (like 8 feet versus 6 feet). And, since the only way I can get good hammock coverage is to go diagonally, it's extra odd. Diagonally, it's almost 12'.

If I run it diagonally, it doesn't cut the tarp equally on the two sides of the ridgeline. It's like it's double asymmetrical. I think I can stake it out for adequate coverage, but the whole thing is kind of cock-eyed.

So finally, here's my question: could this tarp "imbalance" present a problem, as far as wind issues or anything? Or is there a better way of orienting such a mutant tarp?

thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    I've been looking for a hammock rainfly. REI had a 75% price reduction on an Alps Mountaineering Floorsaver for its 5 man tent. It was so cheap, $15, that I had to go for it. It weighs just over a pound. I'm assuming it's rainproof and solid enough to use as a rain fly.

Now that I've received it, it has some strange dimensions: it's not a rectangle. It's a trapezoid with one of the parallel edges being much shorter than the other (like 8 feet versus 6 feet). And, since the only way I can get good hammock coverage is to go diagonally, it's extra odd. Diagonally, it's almost 12'.

If I run it diagonally, it doesn't cut the tarp equally on the two sides of the ridgeline. It's like it's double asymmetrical. I think I can stake it out for adequate coverage, but the whole thing is kind of cock-eyed.

So finally, here's my question: could this tarp "imbalance" present a problem, as far as wind issues or anything? Or is there a better way of orienting such a mutant tarp?

thanks.
    Goob the Noob:
    Please don't take this as harsh. Consider it instead as hard-won wisdom offered to you for free for your consideration - since you asked.
    You can, and probably will, try a hundred different ways to save a few bucks on what seems like a ridiculously simple piece of equipment - a tarp. Then, after spending hundreds of dollars trying to avoid the truth, you'll come to embrace the same simple truth that every other experienced hanger has - you need a good tarp. And trying to get one on the cheap is the surest way to spend the most money for one. So my humble advice, for the price of $15 (already spent) is to admit you made a $15 mistake and vow to not do it to yourself again. Then go to UGQ and look at their Hanger and Dream tarps or to Warbonnet and look at their Superfly or any of several other fine cottage vendors. I'm certain (and they promise) you'll be glad you did!
    Good luck and hey... welcome to the Hammock Forums!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    Goob the Noob:
    Please don't take this as harsh. Consider it instead as hard-won wisdom offered to you for free for your consideration - since you asked.
    You can, and probably will, try a hundred different ways to save a few bucks on what seems like a ridiculously simple piece of equipment - a tarp. Then, after spending hundreds of dollars trying to avoid the truth, you'll come to embrace the same simple truth that every other experienced hanger has - you need a good tarp. And trying to get one on the cheap is the surest way to spend the most money for one. So my humble advice, for the price of $15 (already spent) is to admit you made a $15 mistake and vow to not do it to yourself again. Then go to UGQ and look at their Hanger and Dream tarps or to Warbonnet and look at their Superfly or any of several other fine cottage vendors. I'm certain (and they promise) you'll be glad you did!
    Good luck and hey... welcome to the Hammock Forums!
    Plus 1.

There should be a sticky:

1. You won't be comfortable with your girlfriend sleeping in the hammock with you no matter how big it is.

2. You cannot escape the expense of an underquilt, you can only make it more expensive by buying cheap stuff to avoid buying the good stuff.

3. The same goes for tarps.

And $15 is cheap for that lesson.

Ask me how I know.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Goob, re-read this thread when you are tempted to start getting clever about how to avoid spending money on an underquilt.

On the other hand...
    Only after you've fully experienced the misery and lousy sleep you get with goofy tarps and cheap UQ substitutes can you really appreciate the euphoria inducing comfort of a snuggly down under quilt and a proper tarp.

Again, good luck and happy hanging.
    Timberrr
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    $15 foot print is a good buy for the tent, especially for a matched model, but you got to aware of it's custom to the tent, so the dimension shape accordingly (and usually one size smaller than the base to avoid pooling rain.. ). It's not total loss, you need a foot print under hammock anyway.

Kelty Noah tarp would be a good candidate if there's big discount.

I have good result using Kingdom 6 foot print pitched diagonally (stationary deploy as it is bulky and heavy).

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    Hey, you guys are just jealous 'cause I got a kick arse tarp for next to nothing!

JUST KIDDING! Thanks for everyone's response. You guys are quick (hammock arousal syndrome?)

I knew the tarp was a bit iffy but I don't want to buy a bunch of crap until I find what's right for me. I'm going to experiment with my cheapo Equip hammock and tarp-for-a-moron to learn about what I really need.
    The last thing I want to do is spend a lot of cash and STILL not have the right stuff.
    I'm trying out my stuff next weekend for the first time; but we're talking Arizona where the low, even at 6000 feet is probably 55F.
    In mid September I'm doing 3 days in Yellowstone and hope to have it figured out by then. We'll see.

Thanks Again

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    Maybe your tent footprint won't make a good tarp, but it's going to make an excellent wind barrier underneath a good tarp. Keep it and use it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    Hey, you guys are just jealous 'cause I got a kick arse tarp for next to nothing!

JUST KIDDING! Thanks for everyone's response. You guys are quick (hammock arousal syndrome?)

I knew the tarp was a bit iffy but I don't want to buy a bunch of crap until I find what's right for me. I'm going to experiment with my cheapo Equip hammock and tarp-for-a-moron to learn about what I really need.
    The last thing I want to do is spend a lot of cash and STILL not have the right stuff.
    I'm trying out my stuff next weekend for the first time; but we're talking Arizona where the low, even at 6000 feet is probably 55F.
    In mid September I'm doing 3 days in Yellowstone and hope to have it figured out by then. We'll see.

Thanks Again
    I think you made the right decision. One thing I love about this forum is it's innovation, and your choice of a doubly asym tarp fits in well with that. That being said you might want to try some water pooling tests to check for water proofness. You should also look into making a polycyro tarp, there was a really nicely taped one recently (I think the thread was called no sew polycro). Since you can cut it however you like you can figure out the dimensions you'll need better. It's also quite cheap to experiment with.

You should also know that mistakes aren't as costly as you think. You can always resell them here for a pretty good price (just make sure you get something popular) and if you buy them during the sales (labour day and black Friday) you can pretty much get full price back on them later. Again, buy popular stuff, don't get a Hennessey of you want to go this route. This route might actually turn out cheaper.

Nb: You should post pictures! Because it will be funny!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Using footprints and tent rainflys, would seem to be a no brainer. You had that sleeping bag and pad and those worked right?

Well sort of. I spent several nights under a rain fly in the back yard. It cost me absolutely nothing to demonstrate that, used as such, I could never get anywhere close to a tight pitch. I hated it almost as much as I hated my bulky cheap synthetic insulation kit, everytime I attempted to shove it in the pack.

When the Toxaway showed up, it made me smile. When I shoved my down insulation kit into the bottom of my pack and nearly lost it! Well I'm still smiling because of that.

The important thing is not the let the heavier, bulkier stuff keep you from getting out and away. There are just better ways to do it, and once you manage to obtain the better gear, it will be well worth the time and cost spent to get there. Just try not to run up too much of a bill, trying to take short cuts, finding a better way, to "not invest" in the high dollar items. Those are the dollars you won't ever get back, and you usually don't care to pass on "mistakes" with good intentions to the unassuming.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    MIYANC CUSTOM
    Tarp
    YUKON DIAMOND
    Insulation
    SWEET BABY LOVIN
    Suspension
    MIYANC DIY CUSTOM
    buying the footprint was not a mistake, no matter what these fools tell you, heres why:

Think of the easy choice you will have when you go buy a 5 man alps mountaineering tent...YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FOOT PRINT! What a deal!
    Your saving money all over the place! And after you buy the alps tent, you will have saved so much money that you can justify buying a true hammock tarp. its a win-win.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast