DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    3club
    You are a genius
    World's simplest treeless hammock stand simply genius.
    I hope it will be safe, it's so simple it's scary.
    +1 that is a really good idea. I bet you could even fabricate something like that in the woods if you could find couple strong enough sticks.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    +1 that is a really good idea. I bet you could even fabricate something like that in the woods if you could find couple strong enough sticks.
    Yep, just go into the woods and find two strong trees that are about 15' apart, cut 'em down, and build this stand! (just kidding)

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Yep, just go into the woods and find two strong trees that are about 15' apart, cut 'em down, and build this stand! (just kidding)
    Too funny!

Such an awesome design. I think I'll be running by the lumber company after work tomorrow. I have a few ideas for tweaks on the design, most of which you mentioned.
    A bolt in the bottom to act as a hinge, I'm hoping that would eliminate the need to dig a hole and count on the walls of the hole to support the load.
    A permanent ridge line to set the angle.
    Adding an extra set of tie outs to hold the structure upright long enough to stake the main tie outs. Think one from each end to a single point to the side of the center. Basically enough to lift it to just before vertical, and hold it there while staking in the main tie outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    This is a great idea!

I seem to remember seeing a variation of this configuration that used a single board on one end and a tree on the other. I think he also dug a hole for the bottom end but drove a stake or two straight down into the ground to prevent the end from slipping. The other difference was he only used one rope on the other end and staked it down with several stakes. However, that allowed the upper end to swing around quite a bit.

I really like the simplicity of this design. Especially the fact you can build it with no tools.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    On a side note that tarp in those pictures with the netting is something I have thought about doing for car camping for years. Do you love it?
    Yes indeed! The netting weighs very little, so I take it backpacking also. The netting is actually two pieces, each of which cover one side and two thirds of each end. Therefore, on the ends, they overlap. This provides better bug blocking than if they were to simply meet in the middle.

The only downside is that I needed a separate netless tarp for winter, or ice could build up on the netting and rip it off. So to that end, I made a "Michigan camouflage" (a.k.a. white) tarp without netting for winter, and am working on a new forest camo one with netting for summer.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Yes, in fact, I've done it in the woods where I found only one suitable hammock tree, but found another fallen tree about a dozen feet long and about four inches in diameter, and relatively straight. So at one end I had a standing tree, and at the other, half of this design. It worked fine for a few minutes, but unfortunately at that time, I did not have any high strength string, and the string broke where it was tied to the stake. I later had a friend hold the end of the tree down, and estimated that the force on the string was probably around 50 to 100 lbs. So you don't need super strong rope, but hardware store mason string won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Very nice and simple with materials available in almost any hardware store and across North America or the world, I like it. If someone wanted to fit it in a regular car trunk and not on a roof rack to haul to a campgrounds they might be able to use shorter 2x4s and bolt them to together with a splint 2x4 (this has been done) but adds cost and weight and set up time etc. I also like the fact that by laying at a diagonal the two beams do not necessarily need to rub on the bottom of the hammock. Some photos to convince folks new to hammocks would be helpful, but this is very obvious to old time hangers. Much cheaper than that UK Handy Hammock but may not as easily swing in a bag over your shoulder LOL. Also good to consider if you are in the wilderness and can cut down some tipi lodge poles (2-3" diameter trees, like from www.reesetipis.com ) but then move them to where you actually want to hang at, for a better view. Over looking where the Caribou migrate though or wherever. That can be several days of waiting, takes a bit of patience.

Thanks for sharing, have fun with it.

Edit: I like your Roomy Tarp and integrated bug net, that is the place to hang out with friends and chat, eat meals and such when the flying biting blood sucking insects or driving everyone else crazy and sending them into the water like insane moose. LOL

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    LOL yes! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Yes, a bolt to hold them together would negate the need for a hole, or even just cutting end ends so they sat flat against each other (though I wouldn't trust them to stay that way.) Really, anything to prevent the head board from sliding along the ground toward the foot end, and vice versa.

As for the fixed ridge line, the length of it would depend on your preferred hanging angle, but once that's determined, yes, I'd make it permanent. Let me know how it turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by thetable View Post
    Such an awesome design. I think I'll be running by the lumber company after work tomorrow. I have a few ideas for tweaks on the design, most of which you mentioned.
    A bolt in the bottom to act as a hinge, I'm hoping that would eliminate the need to dig a hole and count on the walls of the hole to support the load.
    A permanent ridge line to set the angle.
    Adding an extra set of tie outs to hold the structure upright long enough to stake the main tie outs. Think one from each end to a single point to the side of the center. Basically enough to lift it to just before vertical, and hold it there while staking in the main tie outs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    During the week you were using this, how many times did you have to re-plant the stakes?

What kind of stakes were you using?

How stable did it feel when you were in the hammock? Was it wibbly-wobbly side-to-side or felt pretty solid?
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast