Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    Right nice setup there! Think it would anchor in the sand? Looking for an easier way to setup on the beach.
    I'm sure it would, though you may need much larger stakes. What I do is position the stake perpendicular to the string. So if the string is 30 degrees from the ground, the stake goes in at 60 degrees, so that the tension along the string never acts to pull the stake up and out.

A second thing I'm sometimes careful about is the turn of the stake. The ones I'm using are Y shaped, so I make sure it's one of the openings that's being pulled against the ground, rather than one of the three fins. You don't want it to act like the point of a knife cutting through the ground, but like a spoon grabbing as much ground as it can.

And yet another thing. Bury it deep. The top of the ground, especially in sand, is very loose. If you sink it in so that the string itself is buried an inch or two, it won't have much wiggle room to loosen.

Another thing you could do is dig a deep hole a couple feet down and wide, tie the string to a sturdy stick, and bury the stick in the hole, flat at the bottom. You may want to cut a slit in the sand for the string, so that it goes straight through the sand to the buried stick.

And the last idea I have is to tie it to something else that's sturdy.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Regarding the diagram, I don't think I could draw anything that's not already in the pictures. The ground I'm on here is very unlevel, not a flat spot to be seen, and little saplings in the way, so the distances and angles for each stake are different and less than ideal, but still more than good enough. Just use whatever convenient spot you can find.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Very cool!!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

Sketch Diagram added for the world's simplest treeless hammock stand

Okay, I have added a diagram to the photo page here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1032780...eat=directlink

Here is the diagram:

I also added a picture showing the boards held together using string instead of a tarp (I had the help of a hammock model for this one!).

I didn't have a single piece long enough, so I tied a few together.

I should mention that the Lash-It string I'm using is rated to 500 lbs. If you just use 1/16" mason line from the hardware store, I'm sure it will break as that stuff is only rated for like 20 lbs.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    This is pretty interesting. I'm going to have to try it.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    For all intents and purposes its a Handy Hammock, that is made of 2x4s and does not break down.. Very nice!

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Hmm, interesting. There's always someone stealing my ideas, and now through the power of the internet, they steal them before I even come up with them!!! lol

Ah, but can they claim this: two pieces of wood, five pieces of string, and four stakes.

It is interesting, though, how they use those orbiting things to prevent bowing.

Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    For all intents and purposes its a Handy Hammock, that is made of 2x4s and does not break down.. Very nice!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    3club
    You are a genius
    World's simplest treeless hammock stand simply genius.
    I hope it will be safe, it's so simple it's scary.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    On a side note that tarp in those pictures with the netting is something I have thought about doing for car camping for years. Do you love it?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

2 thumbs up, simple hammock stand

Very nice and simple with materials available in almost any hardware store and across North America or the world, I like it. If someone wanted to fit it in a regular car trunk and not on a roof rack to haul to a campgrounds they might be able to use shorter 2x4s and bolt them to together with a splint 2x4 (this has been done) but adds cost and weight and set up time etc. I also like the fact that by laying at a diagonal the two beams do not necessarily need to rub on the bottom of the hammock. Some photos to convince folks new to hammocks would be helpful, but this is very obvious to old time hangers. Much cheaper than that UK Handy Hammock but may not as easily swing in a bag over your shoulder LOL. Also good to consider if you are in the wilderness and can cut down some tipi lodge poles (2-3" diameter trees, like from www.reesetipis.com ) but then move them to where you actually want to hang at, for a better view. Over looking where the Caribou migrate though or wherever. That can be several days of waiting, takes a bit of patience.

Thanks for sharing, have fun with it.

Edit: I like your Roomy Tarp and integrated bug net, that is the place to hang out with friends and chat, eat meals and such when the flying biting blood sucking insects or driving everyone else crazy and sending them into the water like insane moose. LOL
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-15-2014 at 19:14. Reason: Edit: nice integrated tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast