Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders

Removable Bridge Hammock Bug-net

Hello to all of my HF friends. I am working on an idea for a bridge hammock bug-net which I will be improving on constantly, but I have not "as of yet" seen a tutorial similar to this. maybe I did draw some inspiration from Fronkey on this, but how I related the two entirely different projects, I seriously do not know. I cant wait to put the video up, and If someone who saw the video liked it and would like me to make them one, I'd be obliged to make another one so I can do a better job with the video! I guess I need to tell you how and why I have thought up this new-fangled idea. When I first began my hammock shopping, I really wanted a blackbird, but at $190 with shipping I simply could not do it. I also did not like the gathered end style, I wanted something symmetrical and flat. I soon was looking quite seriously at the ridge-runner, but I simply did not like the bug-net (too low and in your face, I'd get headaches and it'd be in my way). I decided I would make my own bridge at that point, instead of ordering a hammock from what seemed to me at the time "an inferior company" or something like that, now that I know there are lots of other good names out there. When I watched Grizzly's bridge hammock tutorial, I soon was watching HikingDad's video, and then ordering my supplies. I ordered 10yds of bug-net so I could make my bug-net and have plenty of extra. And then about the time my hammock was done, I saw Ryan Viney had posted something about needing a bug net on Midwest backpackers, So I ran to the rescue (being that I had yet to order my tarp and had no current need for a bug-net). He said he wanted a "Fronkey Style Bug-net" so I looked it up and started making it. As I worked I thought a lot about how I would make my own, and ideas of preposterous ideology came into my head. I was discombobulated to say the least. But then as I finished, It came into my head and voila, it's practically done now. so I may have pre-maturely posted my thoughts to the video, but I wanted to let people know that I was working on something, and at least being productive! and this is also my first DIY video, so be patient with my "ummms" and "Uhhhhhs".
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Woohoo! Good luck with the video. Check this one out too if you haven't.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8hhXZBEyg

I'm always looking for a easily duplicatable bugnet for my Grizz bridge clone.

Willing to share a sneak-pic of the outcome?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    one of the first bugnets I did for a bridge was a fronkey inspired design, but it failed miserably Looking forward to seeing what you turn out!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    hi kerryandjane, my bug net is totally different from shug's. hahaha my version is reversible and you can sleep either way and still have the same space above you. as far as a sneak-peak, I am going to finish it tonight hopefully and put up my miserable first DIY video onto youtube soon. But I might try and upload some pics before hand since my internet is so terrible.
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    image.jpg here is my bug-net. I still must put in the zippers for the doors, but this is how it looks right now.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    It looks good! Looks like it provides several acre feet of head space!

Minnesota must be the great testing ground for mosquito nets. Enjoy the bugs. I had a few fly into my mouth last weekend backpacking--no taste--I ordered black licorice--what happened?

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by The LumberJack View Post
    hi kerryandjane, my bug net is totally different from shug's. hahaha my version is reversible and you can sleep either way and still have the same space above you. as far as a sneak-peak, I am going to finish it tonight hopefully and put up my miserable first DIY video onto youtube soon. But I might try and upload some pics before hand since my internet is so terrible.
    Lol, I wasn't calling you out, saying "it's been done". Just pointing to another design to maybe input an idea before your final design. They're so different though. Awesome job!

I like how high the head is.
    Plenty of room if you need to go to ground.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    That looks cool and spacious. What type of perimeter zipper will you use? My only dislike about the zippers is that when wearing shorts they can grab at the back of your legs in shorts. With that standoff height, how will it affect your tarp pitch?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    That looks cool and spacious. What type of perimeter zipper will you use? My only dislike about the zippers is that when wearing shorts they can grab at the back of your legs in shorts. With that standoff height, how will it affect your tarp pitch?
    As far as affecting the tarp, you just pitch your tarp and then I put pull outs with shock cord and mini biners so I hook them to the carabiners for my continuous ridge-line for a good auto-tension. and I have two ideas about the zipper. For one, I live in minnesota where the state bird will devour any exposed skin (I dont wear shorts hardly ever). And two, I am actually going to try and design a fronkey style shock-cord bug net, but I need to hang in this one and gather insight, before heading onto another sewing project. hopefully you can pitch your tarp as tight to your face as you would like and the bug net will just slack under you. after I get home from work, I will edit and potentially publish my video. oh and for the zipper I only have one side put in now, but it is just a 70" continuous #5 coil zipper, with 2 double reversible sliders. I dont know that I will put in the other side for a while, they are so annoying to sew.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    sorry I have been taking so long to post pictures, I have been working a lot lately and have not been able to get going on this. Oh and my camera charger is missing so I cant charge my battery anyways.

• + New Posts