Question Noob going all-in for hammock & stand instead of a bed in MA

Hi Hammockers!

Thanks for all the helpful information here on Hammock Forums. After reading all of the testimonials about how wonderful hammock sleeping is, I want to give it a try as my bed replacement. After inheriting a mattress with a pit of despair in it from the roommate who has gone before me, I'm ready for a cradling hammock alternative!

I've never gone camping (though after reading hammock forums, who knows-- maybe I will!) and I'm not handy with power tools.

I'm planning on hanging in my bedroom, but my landlady nixed my impulse to put eye-bolts in the walls.

From my reading on hammock forums, I'm guessing that I should get a gathered-end Brazilian hammock, since I'm in MA, it's August and 60 degrees at night (no meaningful central temperature control in this old house-- we only set the temps to mid-60s in the chill of winter, too).

I have a few questions:
    1. I'm 5 feet tall and 110-120 lbs (depends on my ratio of running to catch the bus to eating sweets), should I still get a double-hammock, or XL hammock, or will I be swallowed/smothered in fabric?

1.5. The longest side of my room is about 14' and the shortest side would have about 8' in length once clearance for furniture is taken into account. Am I right that the 14' length should be sufficient for hanging a suitable full-time hammock from a stand?

2. How do indoor full-timers handle the bedding-- top quilt, sheets, etc. to prevent everything from ending up on the floor? I seem to have issues with evening temperature regulation-- much tossing of covers and shifting multiple layers of blankets at times in bed-- middle of the night recoverings and kicking covers down are not unusual for me. I'm contemplating modding a duvet cover for my full-size down comforter to make it wrap me like a burrito around the hammock this winter.

3. How do indoor full-timers handle furniture around their hammocks? I'm a read-in-bed and then sleep person, how much clearance should my hammock have between it and things like my bookshelf/night stand-- should things I want to reach from the hammock be placed not at the top where the gathered end is connected to a stand, but further down? Can I double my hammock as my desk chair if I put my desk on the side of and around the middle of my hammock?

4. Any hammock and stand combination recommendations? Or any suggestions on cottage DIYers who would be willing to sell me a stand suitable for full-timing that is able to be disassembled, if I feel like opening up the room? Or any suggestions for a good retail source of hammocks and stands in MA?

I am currently considering the following options:

http://www.hammockuniverseusa.com/co...niversal-stand -- the shorter 9' stand had some reservations expressed about it in the forums, but since I'm short too, maybe it could work?

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/isl...withwheels.cfm -- I'm a little nervous since the stand details on this one are rather scanty.

A few of my friends and family think I'm crazy for contemplating this (telling my mother that the people on the internet sleep in hammocks full-time and say it's great hasn't been successful in convincing her this is a sensible idea for some reason), but I loved the cradling/nesting feeling of my roommate's double papasan in college when I wrapped myself up in the cushion, and something about sleeping in mid-air sounds delightful to me.

Thanks for reading my novel of a post and sharing any ideas you have!

Welcome madgrace,

I have the hammock you are considering from Hayneedle. It took some tweaking to make it fit that stand.
    When I was looking at purchasing that hammock with stand, they told me they had discontinued the stand and didn't know when they would find a replacement.
    Now, looking at the picture it looks like they just decided to use the stand they sell with their XXL Mayan.
    Because I couldn't get a stand that would work for sure at the time, I bought the Mayan with stand.
    Then after I tried it for a few days and loved it, I purchased the brazilian because i was curious if it would be any warmer.
    Anyway, the hammock was too long for that stand and it hit the ground even when fully extended.

I couldn't find any other stands anywhere that would fit that 15 foot hammock.
    I did go to home depot and get a 5 foot pole that is the same diameter as the spacer they send with the stand.
    If I ever decide to use the Brazilian hammock, I'll put that in and then it should fit perfectly.
    So, you should be able to make that hammock/stand combo work well if you add your own longer pole.
    You wont be able to adjust the length, but it should be perfect.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by madgrace View Post
    I have a few questions:
    1. I'm 5 feet tall and 110-120 lbs (depends on my ratio of running to catch the bus to eating sweets), should I still get a double-hammock, or XL hammock, or will I be swallowed/smothered in fabric?
    They say get the biggest hammock you can afford for a bed, but since you're on the smaller side, stature-wise, you certainly won't need a jumbo size (XXL), however an XL might be wise. You won't be swallowed by fabric if you're laying on it correctly (at a diagonal).

1.5. The longest side of my room is about 14' and the shortest side would have about 8' in length once clearance for furniture is taken into account. Am I right that the 14' length should be sufficient for hanging a suitable full-time hammock from a stand?
    Yes
    2. How do indoor full-timers handle the bedding-- top quilt, sheets, etc. to prevent everything from ending up on the floor? I seem to have issues with evening temperature regulation-- much tossing of covers and shifting multiple layers of blankets at times in bed-- middle of the night recoverings and kicking covers down are not unusual for me. I'm contemplating modding a duvet cover for my full-size down comforter to make it wrap me like a burrito around the hammock this winter.[
    I don't move much when I sleep in a hammock, sometimes not at all, you'd think I'm not alive, but that's what hammocks do to you, total relaxation. Anyway, If I know it'll be cooler in the night, I simply put an extra blanket beside me and or toss it beside me when not needed anymore. my hammock has lots of room for that.

3. How do indoor full-timers handle furniture around their hammocks? I'm a read-in-bed and then sleep person, how much clearance should my hammock have between it and things like my bookshelf/night stand-- should things I want to reach from the hammock be placed not at the top where the gathered end is connected to a stand, but further down? Can I double my hammock as my desk chair if I put my desk on the side of and around the middle of my hammock?
    Have your hammock 1 arm length away from the walls/furniture on the side of it. As for having stuff in my bed, so far I've used a ridgeline, but am thinking it might be a good idea to make some sort of woven bag to hang at the end to put things in.

4. Any hammock and stand combination recommendations? Or any suggestions on cottage DIYers who would be willing to sell me a stand suitable for full-timing that is able to be disassembled, if I feel like opening up the room? Or any suggestions for a good retail source of hammocks and stands in MA?
    I don't use a stand, I prefer drilling things into walls, so can't really help you there, other than get a large stand. Most of the larger hammocks take a minimum of a 12'stand to function, but even then, you'd have to modify (shorten) the strings of the hammock to fit that.

Maybe tell your mom millions of people around the world sleep in hammock and have for thousands of years???

Welcome to the world of hammocks!

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Hi,
    Welcome to hammock forums! And to the hammock life!

I've been sleeping in a hammock full time for about a year now. I've tried some different ones. I started with a hammock stand (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pawleys-I...6?N=5yc1vZbxb8) and a Trek Light hammock (http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...ammock-p17.htm) and I can tell you that the hammock did not fit the stand well, this particular stand is used for hammocks with a bar at the end. I could never get the right angle. Getting tired of the stand I decided to put eye-bolts on my wall. The hammock was much better, but I wanted more. I wen ahead and bought a Paradiso Double (https://www.byerofmaine.com/paradiso...ck-double.html) which I have been HAPPILY sleeping in for about 8 months. This hammock is just awesome. I also have a number of other ones I use for camping, and sometimes at home just for fun, but I always go back to my Paradiso.

Now to your questions.

1. For your size, I recommend a XL (double) hammock like mine. My mom is 5' 3", and whenever I'm sleeping at my girlfriends house, my mom uses my hammock instead of hers. Its very roomy, and the lay is phenomenal.

1.5. Yes, your room will be big enough. My eye-bolts are 13' apart, and I have about 1foot of rope on each side before the hammock loop.

2. This one I learned from cold, cold, nights in my room. We keep our heater on at 72* in the winter. The biggest problem with hammock is keeping the underside of the hammock warm, you don't have that problem with a mattress. To solve this, I slept on top of fleece blankets + quilts, then another quilt or bed sheet on top. It worked, but its a pain. You have to keep adjusting the stuff under you, and you have to make it straight. This works, I don't recommend it. About 4 months ago I bought a AHE jarbidge (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...der_Quilt.html) Mine is the 1 season one, and I believe its rated at 50*. It is amazing. I feel guilty/stupid for not getting a proper underquilt (UQ) earlier. It would've saved me many cold nights, and nights struggling to get warm. There is a sale for the 3 season Jarbidge currently, but I wouldn't recommend that for indoor use, it is rated to 25*, and you are in a controlled environment. For the outside, the 3 season one would be much better. I sleep with 2 full pillows, the UQ, and a top blanket. I change the top blanket depending on weather. I dont have A/C. My stuff usually never touch the ground, the hammock is big enough for all of it. I'm 5'8" and 155lbs.

3. I have a night stand with a light about 1-1.5 feet from my hammock, when I need stuff, I can usually reach. And if I can't, I use one hand to push and hold on the ground to get me closer, and the other to grab the stuff. I also read in my hammock, I can sit in it very comfortably.

4. Hammock stands. Nothing is better than having a proper mount, but sometimes that's not possible. Remember I said I sleep at my girlfriends house sometimes? Well there I sleep on the shorter 9' stand you posted. It is OK, I can get a good night sleep, but my hammock at home is more comfortable. The problem with that stand is that the ropes go on the back of arm, meaning that the ropes never spread out as much as they can, which means the hammock does not get as wide as possible.
    I recommend this stand (https://www.byerofmaine.com/ceara-hammock-stand.html) . This will fit a double brazilian cotton hammock, and it will be attached properly, so the ropes spread out as they should.

My friends think I'm crazy too, until they lay on my hammock, then they immediately change their minds.
    Also, I'm in Cambridge, MA. So if you want to check my stuff out, let me know. Just send me a Private Message.
    Last edited by brazilianguy; 08-06-2014 at 08:19.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    I would nix the idea of getting the 9-ft hammock stand; see questions and answers for the stand at Amazon.com. You'll be giving up comfort going with that stand. A good portion of the hammock suspension wraps down the arms of the stand.

I think you would do fine in a double size hammock (it should be cheaper), but to make sure, why don't you go over to Seaside Hammocks and send them a message providing your physical characteristics and they should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

For a stand, I highly recommend the Vario stand, which can be purchased from Seaside Hammocks, Byer of Maine, and Amazon. The Vario hammock stand is very versatile in that both the base and arms can be adjusted.

For your height, 14 feet of length should be fine for a hammock and hammock stand. I'm a bit over 6 feet and I currently have a Vario stand set up on the 14-foot, 11-inch side of my master bedroom, with a few inches to spare on both ends of the stand. I have the base fully extended and I believe I have 2 to 3 notches of remaining extension in the arms. The RL of my hammock (Mayan Tommy Hamaca Grande from Seaside Hammocks) is about 13-feet.

Too bad about your landlady nixing your idea of screwing eye bolts into the wall studs. From what I've read, hanging from the walls is much better than hanging from a stand. However, a stand and hammock is a nice enough alternative.
    Last edited by @Diagonal; 08-07-2014 at 02:11.

Thank you all for your feedback and warm welcome to the hammock life!

For some reason I didn't get e-mail alerts that my post actually got responses, and I ordered the Vivere 9-foot hammock stand and double hammock from Lowe's. I've been sleeping in it for a few nights now, and I'm quite impressed with how comfortable it is. However, after the first couple of nights, the hammock stretched so that if I sat in the hammock a certain way, I could feel the bottom support strut. I've shortened the hammock by adjusting one of the hanging hooks, but now I suspect the hammock is a smidge too tight. I'm guessing from the feedback here that I should get a different stand and hammock.

I've basically been wrapping myself up with blankets, but I think that once I've figured out a more comfortable stand and hammock setup, I'll probably get an underquilt at the least. I haven't figured out how to avoid blankets and my sheet getting tangled up underneath me.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by @Diagonal View Post
    I would nix the idea of getting the 9-ft hammock stand; see questions and answers for the stand at Amazon.com. You'll be giving up comfort going with that stand. A good portion of the hammock suspension wraps down the arms of the stand.

I think you would do fine in a double size hammock (it should be cheaper), but to make sure, why don't you go over to Seaside Hammocks and send them a message providing your physical characteristics and they should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

For a stand, I highly recommend the Vario stand, which can be purchased from Seaside Hammocks, Byer of Maine, and Amazon. The Vario hammock stand is very versatile in that both the base and arms can be adjusted.

For your height, 14 feet of length should be fine for a hammock and hammock stand. I'm a bit over 6 feet and I currently have a Vario stand set up on the 14-foot, 11-inch side of my master bedroom, with a few inches to spare on both ends of the stand. I have the base fully extended and I believe I have 2 to 3 notches of remaining extension in the arms. The RL of my hammock (Mayan Tommy Hamaca Grande from Seaside Hammocks) is about 13-feet.

Too bad about your landlady nixing your idea of screwing eye bolts into the wall studs. From what I've read, hanging from the walls is much better than hanging from a stand. However, a stand and hammock is a nice enough alternative.
    Update: I checked the arms on my Vario stand and they are fully extended. I'm a bit disappointed because I was going to try to raise the arms a bit more because if I sit up in the right spot, my behind will touch the stand base. I measured the height of the very tip of the arms and they're at 4 feet and some inches (can't remember exact measurement). I'm really motivated to hang from the walls now.

• + New Posts