Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I recommend you check out a local group hang, where you can try out different hammocks and see what suits you best. Also you will have experienced folks there to show you everything that is mentioned here. Also, to top it off, you will make new friends to enjoy this addiction with you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    ettescott-
    You may find that a different style of hammock (bridge or Ergo) may suit you better.
    I only lasted a few minutes in a gathered end hammock - people discuss differences between brands, lengths, etc. but they seem basically the same (too restrictive) to me.
    YMMV, etc.
    This is so true.

Gathered end hammocks are not for everyone. I love mine and my wife can't stand it and can't get comfortable enough to sleep. She likes bridge style hammocks and can fall asleep easily and comfortably. This may be the ticket for you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    For stomach sleeping I'd try a bridge, or Lawson Blue Ridge. It has spreader bars and goes to ground as a bivy, but for me it's to heavy for back packing and to big for the motorcycle. Great for kayak or car camping. Daughter likes it, very warm with the rain fly on.

Also the 3/4 Jarbridge UQ fits like it was designed for it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad/Cheap Bag
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Thanks everyone! I'm adjusting to a new work schedule (I get up at 5:30a), but I'll keep trying on my nights off and report back in a couple weeks. btw I'm 26 live in SE Idaho and just went on my first backpacking trip last weekend (Grand Teton Park). I'll have to better introduce myself over in the intro forum

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    I also usually sleep horrible my first night when I camp in my hammock - it's just different and I'm not used to it.

The following nights however I sleep like a log and lately have had to resort to an alarm otherwise I will easily sleep until 9-10am...

Jim

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    It took me a bit too, although I'm a side sleeper, but laying in a hammock sure did made me realise just how much tension I was hanging onto, even when laid down. Once I slept, I was struggling to get out of the hammock, and felt it calling to me during the day, and that was on my back. After a few months, I started finding myself going back to my side – I guess I found the magic spot. Ha ha!

If you're still wanting to lay on your stomach, might I suggest a pillow under your stomach?

Hammock
    LAWSON BLUE RIDGE (and its STABLE!)
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Therma & Reflectix
    Suspension
    eno ATLAS
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    for stomach sleeping i'd try a bridge, or lawson blue ridge. It has spreader bars and goes to ground as a bivy, but for me it's to heavy for back packing and to big for the motorcycle. Great for kayak or car camping. Daughter likes it, very warm with the rain fly on.

also the 3/4 jarbridge uq fits like it was designed for it.

plus one for the lawson!!!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    What I discovered about sleeping in gathered end hammocks was that I slept much lighter than I do otherwise. I still managed to feel plenty rested even if it seemed that I had slept less overall. I'm a pretty restless sleeper most of the time and I think it may have been the waking up periods to move around that were more waking than when I sleep in the bed at home.

Our last trip I used my newest hammock to be added to our hammock collection and slept very well. I don't want to say it's due to having found "my last hammock" until I have taken it on a few outings. Either way, any hammock beats the comfort level I have ever had in a tent.

I always figured if I was comfortable and felt rested it didn't matter if I was sleeping less.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Golite20/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    strap&buckle
    I to was a stomach sleeper and when I first tried sleeping in a hammock. I had a hard time falling asleep and sleeping through the night. But with a little practice I became comfortable with the new sleeping position. I have been Sleeping full time in a hammock for over a year. In my Ridgerunner I sleep very comfortably on my back. When I do sleep in a bed, it's right back to my stomach. Give it a little time and you will soon be sleeping like a baby

Hammock
    LAWSON BLUE RIDGE (and its STABLE!)
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Therma & Reflectix
    Suspension
    eno ATLAS
    Quote Originally Posted by ettescott View Post
    I've hung a handful of nights at home as well as a couple outdoors and although it's seemed comfortable, I've slept little to none.

Scott, I'm a newbie compared to most here. But I think you should go with a bridge style.
    I start the night on my back but by morning I need to be on my side or stomach.
    I know its heavy...but that lawson blue ridge hammock IS THE CADILLAC of hammocks....lol
    I tried the Eno and Hennessy first and was told they are super comfy but not for a stomach sleeper. I hear great things from Shug about the WBBB but again, not a bridge style and i cant sleep in something that is not flat or pseudo-flat. lol

The Lawson weighed 3.9 and I know that is a bit heavy for some but I shaved oz's & grams everywhere else (minus my pad and old pack) just so I could rock this bad boy...
    I'm at 17.9lbs (with a 2lbs thermarest and a 5 lbs pack) but everyone is jealous because they look over at my spot in the camp area and its like the Hyatt Regency over in my spot... lol

The lawson is like a 90 inch cot... other hammocks need slack but if you stretch this one super tight and stake out the four corners to the ground (with tarp tensioners)
    its like a bed! Every skeptic has marveled once i get them to lay in it.

"sleeping peacefully"
    Last edited by TheBadgerBrigade; 08-06-2014 at 16:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast