Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl

Setting up a hammock campsite with a fire

As I am preparing for my next kayaking trip, I have been watching the weather for the area I am going to (Murray River, Australia), and this last week it has been a typical late winter dry land weather pattern with very cold nights (down to -5 to -7C) followed by clear sunny days 15-18 deg C. Perfect kayaking weather by day, potentially extremely uncomfortable by night. Although I am geared up with a Hammock Bliss sky bed with a R3.5 self-inflating mat and a 20 deg (F) UQ under that, and a good -10C rated SB/TQ, and I do know some tricks to getting and keeping warm in cold weather in the hammock itself, never the less, it is nice to have some help from a fire close by. Last time I hammock camped in similar conditions, I was warm enough when I was actually in the hammock, but getting ready for bed, or getting up for a call of nature was not too inviting.

I was thinking of how on this trip I might set up my campsite with a fire fairly close to my hammock for extra warmth, so that I could just lounge in the hammock near the fire rather than sitting near it with a warm front and frozen rear. I was thinking of setting up in porch mode with the fire close to but not quite under the tarp, so that the glowing coals might provide warmth well into the night, warming the area under the tarp and my hammock and keeping the frost at bay. This is something I have never done before for some unknown reason, but I am thinking in advance of how I might get the best use of my campfire if this weather continues.

Has anyone got pics of setups similar to this for cold weather hammock camping?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    No pics but a thought. If you are working with wood that does not produce flying embers it will probably work as long as you are careful. Any flying embers can burn a neat little hole in the light nylons used for most of your gear. That is why you see the hot tarp guys using stoves. What you need to do is duplicate a Baker tent type setup to trap the warmed air. Back side of the tarp low and doors of some kind to trap a microclimate of warm air.

FWIW since you are kayaking you might want to consider a separate fire tarp. Something low in cost pitched low in back and sides,high in front with the fire just outside the drip line. Still get a cold bed but less chance of expensive damage.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do it all the time:

You may consider something like the grilliput firebowl to make sure the fire is confined and small like on the first pic there (its additional benefit of not having to actually arrange a fireplace is great too). I've seen pictures on here of fully enclosed hammocks with wood stoves inside, so there are certainly tons of options out there.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I recall on one of the Dual Survival episodes that Cody Lundin used a space blanket as a reflector on the rear of a debris shelter and plastic sheeting on the front to retain the heat. With an inexpensive space blanket and a plastic drop cloth you could experiment. Still would have the possibility of a stray ember burning something.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I would be too scared of an ember burning my tarp... There's too much money in them for an ember to ruin.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Tarp, hammock, UQ, TQ... I'm with you on that. I suppose if you keep your gear away until it's down to just the coals you might be alright, but then you're setting up in the dark and close to an open fire.

Another option is to boil some water and put it in a Nalgene bottle and take to "bed" with you, for some extra warmth.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Steal a trick from some of the old primitive skills/survival guys. I've done this before, both ground dwelling and sleeping in my hammock, and it works well.

Figure out where you're going to hang your hammock. Dig a pit directly under that spot, preferably about 4'-5' long, by about 2' wide, by at least 6" deep. Make sure you remove any roots...you don't need to catch a tree root on fire that could cause you some regret later. Build a good roaring fire in that pit so that you end up with a HOT bed of coals. Completely cover that over with about 3"-6" of dirt. You want enough dirt so that the coals are covered...but just enough so that you can still feel heat rising up off the dirt.

Hang your hammock and tarp over that. Close the tarp up if you like, so that you end up with your own little "micro-climate" inside.

You'l be amazed at how warm it is,and much less chance of burning your gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The hottest part of a fire is the coals. Remember... nylon melts. Those enclosed tarps with stoves have special reinforcements on the stove pipe outlet in the tarp. They are intended for wicked cold temperatures.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    I wish I hap a photo to support my following explanations of my hammock/fire setup but unfortunately I don't.

I often make a long fire using Lonnie's method, located within either a dugout trench or a rectangle fire pit surrounded by rocks. I make this fire at least 6 feet away from the hammock's centerline, sometimes more if the fire is big is made with resinous woods. I setup my tarp in a usual a-frame but fold back the tarp over the opposite side of the fire and make sure the fire side is downwind. I sometimes even string my hammock away from the fire when I start it. I make a strong fire that I let burn down to coals and only bring back my tarp to porch mode once I am sure all flames are out. The rock and coals usually provide enough heat to last throughout the night without any risks for my hammock, tarp or equipment.

For extra flair, I setup my tarp in porch mode with walking poles attached to a "remote control" rope which I can quickly pull at night to close the tarp down when the bed of coals does not provide any more heat.

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Dig a pit directly under that spot, preferably about 4'-5' long, by about 2' wide, by at least 6" deep. Make sure you remove any roots...you don't need to catch a tree root on fire that could cause you some regret later. Build a good roaring fire in that pit so that you end up with a HOT bed of coals. Completely cover that over with about 3"-6" of dirt. You want enough dirt so that the coals are covered...but just enough so that you can still feel heat rising up off the dirt.

Great trick I have also tried a couple times. Be careful and make sure you don't create too much of an enclosed space when doing this. I once almost passed out because of CO2 accumulation under a semi-closed canvas tarp tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast