Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HH cord wear

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    If your hammock is new it may be a defect from Hennessy. They do make a great product, but not all hammocks are perfect. A friend of mine bought the HH Expedition zip and when he received it the zipper was sown to the hammock itself. Needless to say he couldn't unzip it. He contacted HH and they had no prob exchanging it for him.

Have you written the company? One of the zip ties in mine had a sharp edge that cut my snake skin. I wrote them not really expecting anything, just to let them know, and they sent me a new snake skin as well as some anchor lines for the hex tarp I got from them (the lines were freed). They offered, sent it to me for free right away. I personally was impressed. I would imagine you would get the same treatment.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I was not impressed with the way my discussion with Tom Hennessy went. I purchased the hammock, became very ill, finally recovered enough to start Hanging again. I used the Explorer, then then next Hang the cord sheath was damaged. I am fussy about my gear, I have no idea what happened to cause the damage. I called Hennessy about repairing the damage, I thought it would be better to have a factory repair. I was prepared to pay for the repair and the return shipping. Tom Hennessy was only interested in where I purchased the unit. He could/would not give me an estimate on repair costs. At the time I had the problem some of the other members were having somewhat similar issues with their gear. I would guess the comments are someplace in the archives. I know there were several disgruntled folks. I did a lot of research before selecting Hennessy so I was very disenchanted.

There are liability issues in selling merchandise even if it is used if there is a known problem with the safety of the item. In good faith I cant sell my junk that I know has a problem. However, I will shortly be listing several items that I will no longer be using. I just have not had the time to gather the images and stick close to the computer until they are sold.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    Ironfish45, if you are worried about liability issues with selling your Hennessey "as is" convert it to whoopies or cinch buckles yourself and sell it that way. It seems a shame to let something sit when someone new to the game could make use of it. I'd even bring it to a hang and maybe someone there could help with the problem.

As to the rope problem, I was just up in NH car camping with the family and used the decender rings like I usually do. It rained VERY heavily all day Wednesday. As I broke down the gear on Thursday morning I inspected the rope carefully and noticed areas that had been "pinched" where the rings came into contact with the rope. I can see now where a little friction and a weak spot on the outer sheath may have caused your problem. I am now thinking of moving away from using the rings. Thanks for the heads up.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I'd been using the ropes/descender rings but decided to swap out the suspension. I ordered the Amsteel loops with cinch buckles, straps and Dutch clips from Dutch and they arrived this past week. Took me 15 minutes to swap out the suspension following the video on Youtube.
    I've got to say I wish I had done it sooner. It's so much simpler and quicker. The straps stay attached to the cinch buckles, walk up to a tree, throw the strap around, hook on the clip (or biner) and pull the slack out of the strap. Done.
    If you're tired of messing around with the ropes, it's definitely worth looking into.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think they replaces the suspension ropes for $20. Mine wore out on my thru hike.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I haven't had a problem with HH (products or customer service). I've called a couple times with questions and they've always been polite and helpful - even explained how I could save a few $$ and how to fix a minor issue myself. The do repairs for very reasonable cost, but the shipping might be an issue.
    I bought mine direct from them, however when I bought mine many years ago I don't think you could get a new one from anyone except them. Maybe they have issues with hammocks sold from secondary sources or even problems with someone selling clones?
    By looking at the photo I can't tell if there is actual damage or the inner material just pulled through the sheathing - mine ever gets worn out or damaged I'd call to see the options and cost, then replace the suspension. I really like the hammock, so for me it's a keeper.
    P.S. I used the double rings a couple times, but now I mostly just tie the HH figure 8 lashing or use a single ring on one end.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-16-2014 at 13:52.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I think I still have my HH suspension ropes. I switched out to whoopies to make hanging faster and easier. Never thought about switching back, whoopies are a nice improvement and take about an hour to do.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12