Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Hex
    Insulation
    UQ/AHE, TQ/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling

HH cord wear

I recently switched up my WBBB to a HH Explorer Ultralite and was in the field today working on my setup. I used the traditional lashing technique, the quick setup with 2 rappel rings and also the single rappel ring technique. All worked great. When I was about to try another setup I noticed a tear/rip in one of my cords.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm assuming it was from the friction created by the rappel rings but can't be sure.

Matt

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Looks like a tear in the sheath. I've not seen it in a hammock rope before but in other nylon ropes it has happened when I've nicked the rope written is under tension.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

My money is on the two rappel rings pinching it and tearing the sheath. HH recommends the figure-of-eight lashing for durability, and with this thin cord it's probably justified.
    BTW what's the single rappel ring technique?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd look therings over for a rough spot. If none are found it could be a lot of things. That is why I do not like kernmantle rope construction for most uses. Solid braid like Hennessy uses on the heavier hammocks is a lot more tolerant. That's another example of the benefits of ultralight. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I've used the decender rings on both my Hennesseys for about two years and haven't run into that problem. I wonder if you had a small cut in the outer sheathing and the tension from the weight in combination with the rings forced the inner core out. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my suspension more carefully each time though.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Change them to whoopies and never look back. Pm me and I'll send you my explorer ropes for shipping. Same happened (not as bad) with only recommended knot. Whoopies are smaller lighter faster to set up and make adjustments to and you'll never whip your cheek knotting the HH way ever again (am I the only one to have done so?)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelle View Post
    I recently switched up my WBBB to a HH Explorer Ultralite and was in the field today working on my setup. I used the traditional lashing technique, the quick setup with 2 rappel rings and also the single rappel ring technique. All worked great. When I was about to try another setup I noticed a tear/rip in one of my cords.

I had the same thing happen to my Explorer, I n

Has anyone experienced this? I'm assuming it was from the friction created by the rappel rings but can't be sure.

Matt
    I had the same thing happen to my once used Explorer UL, I was new to using a hammock, I followed Hennessy's suggestions for hanging. I never did anything that would have damaged my lines. Hennessy was not interested in repairing the damaged line, I was willing to pay the cost of repair and shipping. The hammock has been sitting in the gear closet since, about 3 years now, I do not trust it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to my once used Explorer UL, I was new to using a hammock, I followed Hennessy's suggestions for hanging. I never did anything that would have damaged my lines. Hennessy was not interested in repairing the damaged line, I was willing to pay the cost of repair and shipping. The hammock has been sitting in the gear closet since, about 3 years now, I do not trust it.
    Do what SteveJJ did and convert it to whoopie slings or just sell it "as is" here and use the funds for more goodies!!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I do not want to sell someone my junk! I as a new member bought someones junked out rain fly, I would not want to pass such bad Karma onto someone who trusts me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I do not want to sell someone my junk! I as a new member bought someones junked out rain fly, I would not want to pass such bad Karma onto someone who trusts me.
    Believe me, that hammock is not junk. HH makes a great hammock, the suspension can be upgraded or replaced. Offer it for sale, make sure you mention the suspension cord... Someone will take it ( it might even be me...)
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast