SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps

Pack suggestions

Im looking for a backpack to start hiking with. I plan to start out with a 2-3 day outing. I dont have much gear. Hammock, tarp, soon TQ/UQ., stove. I dont plan on taking much in the way of clothes. Quick dry T-shirt, hiking shorts, thermal top, running tights/pants, socks, have a rain parka but its kind of bulky, hat, gloves small misc. items. All of this fits into my day pack with the exception of the quilts. I got to look at some packs hands on the other day. What kind of packs are you using to haul your gear on your hikes? Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG And WB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I absolutely love my Gossamer Gear Gorilla. Just enough pockets and features without the added weight. I forget to tighten my hip belt once and didn't realize it for quite a while. My weight stays under 20lbs fully loaded with food and water. Base weight around 12lbs.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I bought a z packs arc blast last summer-------awesome pack, Im really happy with it! (not cheap, but very much worth it in my opinion!) Lots of great packs out there ---ula etc this one happens to work really well for me!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just switched to an ULA Circuit this summer. After a bunch of local miles, 30 miles on the AT, and 70-80 miles in New Mexico, I love it. You might want to look at the OHM given your equipment style/list.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

I would suggest ULA Circuit over the OHM. It can also be used for longer trips.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    pretty hard to go wrong with a pack from ula.....hold their value very well also

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Since you are just starting and only going out for a few days, you'll probably not really know what you want/need until you get a dozen trips in. I recommend you look into this to use for a couple one nighters. Get out for several 1 or 2 night trips prior to winter - then you will know what backpack you want and can ask for it for Christmas :>)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=swag
    FYI:
    I have a backpack, but left it home and used this method for a spring fishing trip (28F nights) and was very pleased.
    There is a lot of info on this method on the internet, but just figure out your own pack method and try it out in good weather.
    My swag is my hammock/TQ/UQ and extra clothing rolled up and tied with my tree straps - a simple tyvek wrap keeps it waterproof.
    The dilly bag holds food/cook kit, rain gear and tarp - it is also used as my bear bag. I just use a stuff sack.
    I have a small additional bag with with the necessities like first aid, fire starter, toothbrush, water filter, etc. Mine was a gift from olddog, but you could use and shoulder or hip bag.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are you on a budget? Packs can cost as much as you want to pay for them. Do you want lightweight? Large capacity? Comfort? Choosing one can limit the other. Give us some more details!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    $200.00+/-, mid capacity 50L, light weight <3lbs.,

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    With those requirements, sounds like the Go Lite Jam (50L or 70L), Gossamer Gear Gorilla (46L) or Mariposa (69L), and ULA CDT (56L) or OHM (69L) should fit the bill.

I don't have experience with the Go Lite or GG - I agree with the other posters above, try and take a few for a spin, although that's difficult since most of the business done by the above three companies are predominately online.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast