Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
    I used to sew cloth diapers and made my own pattern. I used old tshirts and cheap fabric to make some butt ugly but perfectly functional diapers while I was working out the kinks and refining my pattern. I ended up giving them all away for free to a lady who really needed them on condition that no-one ever know where they came from!

In the sewing world if someone says that their stitching is bad we remind them that if someone is close enough to see wonky stitching and criticise it then they are also close enough for a poke in the eye so it doesn't happen again.
    HA
    Now, not only do I appreciate you, I'm really starting to like you.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Are you using the same needle/thread combo on the 1.1, 1.6 Argon and 1.6 Hyper D?

Hammock
    cheap
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    With the second layer, does the Argon's stretch less getting closer to the stretch of the Hyperd?
    I want the stiffness of the Hyperd but the softness of the Argon. And also the Argon is a bit cheaper...

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Are you using the same needle/thread combo on the 1.1, 1.6 Argon and 1.6 Hyper D?
    No, not for all.
    The 1.6 Argon and 1.6 HyperD, yes.

The 1.1 no, I shy away from the heavier threads and always make sure I have a sharp needle. Would have to look to verify the size. That 1.1 is finicky to sew but once you work out the details on the test fabric, take your time and it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SPENDingLOVE View Post
    With the second layer, does the Argon's stretch less getting closer to the stretch of the Hyperd?
    I want the stiffness of the Hyperd but the softness of the Argon. And also the Argon is a bit cheaper...
    The two fabrics are different, the feel/hand of the fabric is what it is. If you want the softness/feel/hand of the Argon, gotta go that route. An alternative is to go with 1.6 Argon layered with 1.1 generic ripstop (or try the 1.1 HyperD...haven't done that yet)

The general feedback from my users is that they love the feel of both the fabrics with an edge being given to Argon 1.6 in warm, humid weather. For lounging, napping, HyperD is super comfortable but for overnight or more support, Argon 1.6 + 1.1 is popular. To be fair, I have not layered 1.6 HyperD with 1.1 yet and I would expect much the same in the way of feedback.

The two fabrics are different. The feel/hand of the HyperD is distinct from the Argon 1.6. The 1.6 HyperD apparently has a higher weight rating and easily supports 350 lbs but does stretch. And in the interest of full disclosure, I have not loaded up Argon 1.6 with single layer with 350 lbs for comparison. Being able to support the weight without failure is one thing, providing enough support for hours of comfort is another.

To be sure, the double layer Argon 1.6/1.1 std ripstop does stretch less than the single layer 1.6 HyperD.

We are fortunate to have these fabric selections and I will be building hammocks using the HyperD 1.1 in combination with some other fabrics as well as trying out the new PolyD 1.6 from Dutch. It is a good time to be building hammocks, we have options that really excel at providing versatility, comfort and durability.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 11-17-2014 at 18:08.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    cheap
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Awesome response! Thank you. I'm definitely in a hot humid area so I think I've decided on the argon/1.1 mix!
    Your response to spaceman says the sewing of the argon and 1.1 are different. When you are sewing those two together do you use the needle and thread you would with the 1.1 or with the argon?

Thanks for accommodating to my noob questions

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SPENDingLOVE View Post
    Awesome response! Thank you. I'm definitely in a hot humid area so I think I've decided on the argon/1.1 mix!
    Your response to spaceman says the sewing of the argon and 1.1 are different. When you are sewing those two together do you use the needle and thread you would with the 1.1 or with the argon?

Thanks for accommodating to my noob questions
    When working with just the 1.1, and I hem I use the standard thread, when stitching together, I have used the heavier duty thread and the appropriate needle size. Keeping in mind I am talking about standard 1.1 ripstop nylon that you might get from Ripstopbytheroll.com. I have not tried the 1.1 HyperD and the .6 or .9 Argon, that stuff is tricky for me. Takes patience even after you have worked out your foot pressure, thread, needle combo.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123