DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Combining tarp guy line pockets with corner reinforcement?

Hey there,

I've been wanting to make myself a tarp for a while, and have gotten a ton of great info on here for how to do it. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now but there are still a couple questions I couldn't find answers for. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

1) How durable of a material do you need for corner and pull-out reinforcements? I'm going to make the tarp from 1.1 silnylon. I was thinking of using 1.9oz (70D) ripstop for the reinforcement patches but I've seen several people mention that they used 200D or more. Is that necessary?

2) I'd like to incorporate guy line pouches on the corners. Would it work to combine the reinforcement patch and pouch into a single element? Possibly stitching the patch only 1/3 of the way across on either side and leaving a slot in the centre to stick the line into. Or would this just cause the tension to be transferred all wrong? I've attached a picture of what I had in mind.

Tarp corner 1.jpg

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by poca View Post
    1) How durable of a material do you need for corner and pull-out reinforcements? I'm going to make the tarp from 1.1 silnylon. I was thinking of using 1.9oz (70D) ripstop for the reinforcement patches but I've seen several people mention that they used 200D or more. Is that necessary?
    I followed the DIYGearSupply recommendations and used heavier (light pack cloth?) fabric for the reinforcements, but it's probably not necessary. (I wasn't concerned about weight, much..). If you use lighter fabric, you could search images on 'sail clew reinforcement' to give some ideas about more complex patterns, if that's what you wanted.
    I think the only spots that need some sort of reinforcement patch are pullouts away from the seams.

2) I'd like to incorporate guy line pouches on the corners. Would it work to combine the reinforcement patch and pouch into a single element? Possibly stitching the patch only 1/3 of the way across on either side and leaving a slot in the centre to stick the line into. Or would this just cause the tension to be transferred all wrong? I've attached a picture of what I had in mind.
    If your reinforcement patches are 'deep' enough, that could work (clever idea, BTW). I found that the guylines are quite 'slippery' and tend to fall out of the pocket without an overlap of some kind. I copied the pockets on the Exped Combi tarp.
    guy pocket.JPG

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I like that pocket design. Is it a double layer reinforcement with the top part being the pouch or is it just a pouch with no structural purpose?

Also, do you happen to know if laminating a patch of silnylon would be stronger or weaker than sewing on a 1.9oz uncoated patch?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    http://www.thehammockforum.com/phorum/read.php?2,64,64

Standard on the hennessy hextarp

Works really well IMO

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Oh perfect! Then I guess it must work :-) I'll give it a try.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I like that pocket design. Is it a double layer reinforcement with the top part being the pouch or is it just a pouch with no structural purpose?
    I made the 'pocket' with three pieces - the two blue mesh parts were sewn to a piece of nylon oxford cloth. The assembly was then topstitched along the 'wide side' to the tarp.
    The pocket & reinforcement were trimmed to parallel the tarp edge (set back, allowing for the hem), then the tarp was hemmed all round. The hemming covers up any small misalignments. The grosgrain pullout was stitched at the end.

Also, do you happen to know if laminating a patch of silnylon would be stronger or weaker than sewing on a 1.9oz uncoated patch?
    I don't think it would make a great deal of difference. For the pullouts away from the tarp edges, I sewed the reinforcement with multiple stitching (decreasing size 'boxes'), as I wanted the reinforcement to be well attached to the tarp. Probably overkill, but I think that decreasing the tension on the individual lines of stitching makes the seam sealing last longer (fewer holes pulled in the fabric).

Edit/afterthought: If you make anything that can be a 'water bag', water will find it's way into it...Murphy's Law #1388. So it's probably better to use something uncoated for the reinforcement, IMO.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    On my last tarp I just used 2 4" pieces of grosgrain in a V for my tie out reinforcement. If you are comfortable with this type of setup, you could just use noseeum or similar mesh for your pocket.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Good point about the water bag. Maybe mesh pockets would be best. I'd still like to do something for reinforcement other than just grosgrain though. How would a sil patch laminated to the tarp with a mesh pocket on top do?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    How would a sil patch laminated to the tarp with a mesh pocket on top do?
    I've seen (in another thread) a circular reinforcing patch 'glued' to the tarp with silicone caulking or seam sealer. That would work, I think, though it might need clamping between boards (?) to get a good flat result.
    It seems like more trouble than I'd want, but it would prevent water from collecting between the tarp and the reinforcement.

I also don't like the idea of sewing through much seam sealant for fear of mucking up the needle and bobbin hook - though this may not be an issue if the amount of 'glue' sealant is small (and well cured).

Why don't you do some experiments and let us know?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Because mine were an 'after market' addition..., I used leftover noseeum mesh and put the pockets on the inside of the tarp sized to match the outside reinforcement patch. I left about a 1 1/2" opening in the middle of pocket which is just big enough to shove the lines and the line loc into but no so big that they fall back out.

It works rather well if I do say so!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast