DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question How to Keep a Pad In Place?

Newbie hanger here and I've been reading some of the other threads about using pads in hammocks. I will get an UQ -- when I can afford it. But I need to make do with what I have right now which is a new HH Explorer Ultralite zip and a large Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest Solite. I primarily solo backpack so weight and reliability are key issues. I'm hopeful I can figure out how to make this gear work for temperatures down into the 30's and I have a pretty good down sleeping bag that I'm confident will work as a TQ.

To the point, several threads say that pads can be used successfully, but there appears to be very little information about specifically how they're being kept in place. During my last backyard experiment, I tried threading some 550 cord through the sides of the pad and tying them to a couple of small rings in the hammock near where the left shoulder and right ankle should be. As my daughter would say -- epic fail. The pad bunched up in the middle and I was seriously concerned the bottom right corner was going to poke a hole through the bug net. (I should mention that I had already trimmed a few inches from each corner of the pad giving it a roughly oval shape. Ninety-degree corners just didn't fit.)

Next up, I tried threading the 550 through two holes punched through the thick part in the top right corner of the pad and tied off to the ridge line. I only tried this briefly because the strain on the pad looked like it was going to rip the corner off where I stitched the 550 through. This technique does appear to have some promise, and I'm thinking that if I replace the 550 with 1/8" shock cord it will be safer.

So...what tips and tricks does anyone know that will keep a pad in place? I really like the thermal performance of the Ridgerest and am skeptical about getting equivalent performance from plain blue CCF pads. I read in one of the threads about using "silicone" to help hold things in place, but there were no specifics? Silicone caulk or ??? Applied to the pad or the hammock?

I've also thought about adhesive-backed velcro but suspect that wouldn't stick for long and I'd just end up with a mess. I also don't think that sewing anything to the hammock is an option for me given the extreme thinness of the hammock fabric. I suspect any line of stitching put through the fabric without significant reinforcing material would quickly lead to a rip/tear.

TIA

Jim

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    double layer hammock
    or look at Ed Speer's "Segmented Pad Extender". which adds flaps along the edge of the torso section.
    Search to find it.
    If it's real cold, criss-cross a partial pad with a full pad long ways under your torso.
    Read Sgt Rocks theses on winter hammocking.
    Last edited by Grinder; 07-28-2014 at 09:54.
    grinder

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Use a wide pad (I use 30" wide X 36" long in my HH bottom entry) and then had to learn to lay still while sleeping.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Back in my pad using days I found that using the grippy rubber mats that keep rugs from sliding worked for me. They are thin and light with a woven pattern. Just cut the mat to fit, lay it in the hammock and place your pad on top. The mat keeps the pad from slipping under you.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Can you sleep with the pad inside your bag? I got an extra long, extra wide mummy bag. I'm 6'4 but I'm only about 210 lbs. I do have broad shoulders, hence bigger bag. I am able to fit my ALPS ultra light pad inside the bag and remain comfortable and not restricted in my movements. Snug in a good way. I don't know if this will work in the upcoming cold conditions I will be experience in Lost Creek Wilderness in CO. I haven't had very many problems laying in it or getting where I need to be in my hammock to be comfy. I haven't used it anything below 57 degrees, as I got the pad and bag in the late spring.

I've heard the idea talked about before in my lurking here, but I haven't heard anything good or bad. Anyone care to explain or elaborate?

Edit: This is interesting if you have a way to sew it on
    Last edited by Graybealz; 07-29-2014 at 00:33. Reason: Links!?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks to all for their input. I was hoping for an inexpensive solution that would really make my Ridgerest work wonderfully. The no-slip grippy rubber mats are a possibility and I'm going to look around the house here -- I'm pretty sure we have some. I may even try to "stitch" some to the back of my Ridgerest to make a more permanent one-piece solution. As for an SPE, if I were going to launch a DIY project, I'd just go for making my own UQ even though the SPE looks to be much simpler. And I definitely can't fit a pad in my existing sleeping bags at the same time I'm in there.

Thanks again for the input.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Try some silicone dots or lines on the bottom of your pad. It will help grip the fabric and lessen the sliding. Worked for a friend of mine.
    My head is an animal

I can't find it right now but not too long ago there was a person who posted her solution to this problem. She sewed two small pockets in her hammock (top & bottom) on the diagonal lie she preferred. Each pocket was just wide enough for her pad and came up 6" or so. All she has to do is slide the pad into each pocket and enjoy! Looked like a wonderfully easy "fix" as long as you can sew. Even if you're not a sewer it may be possible to find someone in your area to help you out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ting-my-sanity

Here's the link! You'll begin to see what was done on page 2 of the thread. Best of luck!

snapper

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 for the link snapper posted MtMarcy's comment #18 showed photos of the "pockets" she sewed into her single layer hammock, very cool idea. Might be possible to add smaller corner straps but depends on how rectangular your pad is. The silicon dots you stick on the bottom of a pad that boulderv7 commented on above #7 are also a very good solution. Remember the advantage of a pad is it will work if trees are not available and you must go to ground. I.e. you are high on a mountain, above tree line or on a sand bar out in the ocean or island in the middle of a river or lake or trying to avoid falling branches and trees or whatever. Or some ranger tells you not to hang from trees. Camp long and wide enough and these unfortunate situations can happen to you. A UQ is great but once the loft is gone its down will not insulate and is not very comfortable. I like both pad and UQ. I try to take what is best depending on the trip. HYOH (hang your own hang) my twist on that acronym not very original but I like it.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-01-2014 at 11:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast