Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Anti-slip products and where to find them, good luck, don't look silly

If you are a Male and walk into a beauty supply or women's apparel shop and ask for this product just don't walk funny LOL, perhaps you can ask your daughter to go in and buy it for you, that's what I do…

HOLLYWOOD FASHION SECRETS
    Accessory Dots, Clear 1 ea
    $5.00

http://www.beauty.com/products/prod....72&CAGPSPN=pla

Or if you can find this product in a local fabric store or order it online let us know how it works, I have never tried it:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/elasti...ripper_Elastic

Elastic designed with bikers and skiers in mind. Gripper Elastic has a rubber compound added to it to stop bike shorts and the cuffs of skiwear from slipping. Available in black. 1" $1.00/yd

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Pad cover with Omni-Tape to attach to hammock or just glue to pad directly

Another idea that I have never had time to try: make a cover for a high end inflatable pad (like ones with built in radiant heating mylar etc). A camping friend of mine (older and wiser) swears that a polyester custom sewn cover will add many years of life to these pads that cost $50-200. The sew in some Omni-tape to the bottom of it and also to the hammock that matches up to the perfect position for diagonal sleeping. The advantage of Omni-tape over old-fashion "hook and loop" velcro is that it does not snag on other fabric like your clothing. Here is a source for some good Knock off brand of the original from the 3M Velcro. 1" is $2 per yard, but you don't need much.

HOOK & LOOP- SNAG FREE FASTENER -like Omni Tape®
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm

This is what quest outfitters recommends it for:
    "being used to to keep your sleeping quilt attached to your sleeping pad while sleeping by sewing one strip to your quilt and glueing another strip to your sleeping pad to attach the quilt to pad and eliminate cold spots."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Update: Well, I blew a hole in my budget, bit the bullet, and bought a Hammock Gear Incubator 20.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I must say I'm not comfortable attaching, either by sewing or glueing, anything directly to my hammock itself. However, I am very agreeable to adding something "sticky" to the pad. I have my doubts as to whether anything fabric-based will adhere to the pad, given its ridge and valley construction, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for some sort of liquid substance I can apply directly. Boulderv7 mentioned applying dots of silicone and I like that idea, provided the silicone stays on the pad and doesn't rub off and "contaminate" the hammock and anything else it comes in contact with.

One thing that struck me as I researched this problem is that there is no one clear solution that everyone agrees with. The one very clear response that showed up time after time was that an under quilt was the solution. 😉

Thanks again.

Jim

Realizing it's a bit late to reply to the original post, but let me toss in a few things I've been learning the hard way lately. I've been experimenting with a homemade SPE with limited success. It works for warmth with a sleeping bag used as top quilt (60-65 F at night). However, it's apparently unreasonable for me to assume that the SPE will remain anywhere near where I want it to stay all night. I guess I turn and squirm more than I thought I did, sometimes turning the SPE into a very unsatisfactory top quilt which wakes me up.

I recycled a very old sleeping bag to make the SPE and the nylon cover is just too slick to stay put. I like and may try the idea of something tacky but removeable to keep the SPE in one spot in the hammock. On the other hand, it may be time to start working on making a DIY underquilt (cheapness is either a virtue or a curse; not sure which).

Oh, and let me tender a general thank you to the membership here for all the info you guys post. We late starters benefit immensely from those who hang before us.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip
    Suspension
    whoopies w/ hooks
    I did what 2ply recommended and used a small piece of grippy rubber mat and my pad held in place great! Thx!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12