Hammock
    DD modular Jungle
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Jungle hammock modding help.

Hey everyone,
    I am going to be buying the new Jungle hammock and considering I live in the UK weather protection is pretty high up the list of priorities. This means that I need insulation underneath and rain cover overhead.

Is it possible to not use a tarp and use the jungle hammock's built in rain cover over the top and have the DD underblanket underneath without the underblanket getting wet? Or is it just easier to buy a tarp?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The storm shield is a breathable ripstop, whereas the rainfly is a sil nylon. You would''t want the storm shield non-breathable, otherwise you'd sweat and condensation build up will be dripping on you. The storm shield is designed to keep some heat inside, but still allow vapor to escape. The tarp is a nice sil-coated ripstop, very waterproof even in the heaviest down pour. The underquilt is synthetic, and will still keep you warm, even if it gets a little wet.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Hey! I own both. The weather shield is good, but not that good. It's perfect in a pinch but I think you'd want more coverage. The DD under quilt is also great, but don't let the myth of wet synthetic insulation fool you into thinking it would be awesome. Because it won't.

Personally, I'd wedge the under quilt between the hammock and the waterproof base layer and still fly a tarp over top.

Just my 2 quid.

Hammock
    DD modular Jungle
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Hey! I own both. The weather shield is good, but not that good. It's perfect in a pinch but I think you'd want more coverage. The DD under quilt is also great, but don't let the myth of wet synthetic insulation fool you into thinking it would be awesome. Because it won't.

Personally, I'd wedge the under quilt between the hammock and the waterproof base layer and still fly a tarp over top.

Just my 2 quid.
    Thanks, I think I will do that! In which case what tarp do you think has the best coverage over the jungle hammock? A 3x3 or larger or smaller?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Well, I personally have the 3x3 and I think it covers just fine in square mode. If you were to hang it in a diamond config, you'd have plenty of coverage.

There's a guy on YouTube that will show you a few ways to run with this tarp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhqeOi1s9Q

Cheers!

Hammock
    DD modular Jungle
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Well, I personally have the 3x3 and I think it covers just fine in square mode. If you were to hang it in a diamond config, you'd have plenty of coverage.

There's a guy on YouTube that will show you a few ways to run with this tarp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhqeOi1s9Q

Cheers!
    Thanks so much for your advice, I will post back and tell you how it goes!

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    My pleasure! And post some pics of your setup too!

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Jack,
    I too am new to hammock camping, and I also have the jungle hammock. I also got the underquilt, and use an extra tarp over the top in diamond config.
    I was out last night in the torrential rain we had (5+mm I think) and with the way I had it set up, the hammock and quilt stayed completely dry. The tarp was drenched, obviously, but worked perfectly. The karabiners acted like water stops, so any water running off the tree/tree huggers dripped off the karabiners keeping the hammock dry.
    I also used the hammock rain cover, just in case, and this added a bit of extra warmth, i was proper toasty!

Hammock
    dd jungle modular hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    Hi there guys.
    Just wanted to toss in here. I too have the jungle, but no tarp etc.. just the rain cover with the hammock itself. There were 2 nights I thought for sure I was gona wake up wet, but nope.. stayed cozy dry!

One thing I do outta habbit is take the tails of the woopy slings and wrapem around the line so they're not hangin down.. this also gives the water running down from tree huggers etc someplace else to drip/run off before reaching you.

Hammock
    DD modular Jungle
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here's the setup! First tried it out last weekend, but my underquilt hadn't arrived then. I'm going out this weekend to use it with the underquilt zoo I'll take some pics of that then. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg and thanks all of you for your advice!

• + New Posts