Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone use the Complete Whoopie Sling set up?

I'm considering buying the complete whoopie sling set up to try to make my first hang easier. Anyone have this? How is it? Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Yes I have Whoopie Slings on both my Hammock and my tarp. It makes set up so much easer with the added bonus of being lighter then almost any other setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Yes I have Whoopie Slings on both my Hammock and my tarp. It makes set up so much easer with the added bonus of being lighter then almost any other setup.
    Do you use the complete set up sold by DD or another brand?

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    For me, whoopie slings are the way to go. I would recommend putting continuious loops at the ends of your hammock first, and attaching the whoopies to those. This allows for more flexibility when setting up. Like swapping the whoopies end for end or (more likely) if the only attachment points are to close together you can bypass the whoopies and attach the tree straps directly to the continous loops (Dutch Buckles from Dutch Wear are great for this). I purchased mine from whoopieslings.com However if you want to take the time you can make your own. Lots of instructions here on the forum and youtube both.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Whoopie slings are awesome. Just put them on my DD Jungle hammock and besides the fact that they don't stretch, the adjustability is super precise!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    I bought the DD whoopie setup from DD to use with my NX-250 Clark hammock. It works like a charm and it by far the single greatest upgrade I've made to my hammock. It's like hanging in easy mode!

Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    I bought the DD whoopie setup from DD to use with my NX-250 Clark hammock. It works like a charm and it by far the single greatest upgrade I've made to my hammock. It's like hanging in easy mode!
    That's what I was hoping to hear!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Ultra light, cheap suspension system purchase or DIY

This setup from Dutch is one of the lightest you can find if you Backpack and like to go light. But you can also buy the parts from him and make the Whoopie Sling yourself and save some money; that way if a squirrel chews through your cord or it gets cut accidentally you can quickly splice a patch and be on your way. Hopefully none of your "friends" think it is funny to put peanut butter on your cords. LOL

http://dutchwaregear.com/whoopie-hoo...pie-sling.html

Note that the Titanium Dutch Whoopie Sling hook acts as a bead and prevents the adjustable loop from pulling through, also two hooks only weight 0.24 ounces (6.8 grams). You can also get rid of the Dutch-clips and just run the webbing strap and W.S. girth hitched to it through the loop of the strap after it is around the tree. This is not as convenient or fast but reduces the weight and cost of the extra hardware.

If you go with the Dutch-clips use a needle and thread to tightly sew them into the loop in the strap so they do not accidentally fall out, or use a climbing carabiner instead because it can be left clipped in and only weighs 23 grams (Camp nano 23). Personally I like to know that I can hang with absolutely no store bought hardware at all if necessary just a stick from the ground or fresh cut twig and MSH. Options are good to have, raccoons and campground/trail hobos run off with gear occasionally in my personal experience.

Edit: If you make the Whoopie Sling colors different (this is why Dutch allows them to be selected separately, head and foot) then if you leave attached to your hammock all the time you will know which end is the foot, attach this to tree a bit higher, as is commonly recommended. I have found this to be helpful. Or you could just attach different colored drip line cords to each, this works just as effectively. Watch the video on drip lines here :

BTW I have stayed at the Bamberger Ranch in Texas it is very educational and interesting. I learned a lot about native plants and preserving the environment there. I wonder if the people who started that place had ancestors from the town where you live.

http://bambergerranch.org
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-01-2014 at 09:05. Reason: Edit: W.S. colors

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Amsteel/dyneema alternative in Germany and E.U.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    I'm considering buying the complete whoopie sling set up to try to make my first hang easier. Anyone have this? How is it? Thanks!
    I realize that you want a "complete set up" but if in the future you decide to make your own W.S. or other related continuous loops, soft shackles, dog-bones and such there is a rope/cord company in Germany that makes a product that is very similar to the American Samson Rope: Amsteel and Lash-it etc. This LIROS D-Pro should be easy to find in just about any shop that sells products for boats and sailing ships etc.

In English for those traveling abroad (Ich spreche kein Deutsch):
    http://www.liros.com/en/products/pro...ros-d-pro.html

In German:
    http://www.liros.com/produkte/produktfinder.html

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Like just about every thing else we do as hammock people, whoopie slings look complicated at first, but after you make a few, they are really easy and quick to make! Its a skill worth learning-----------I would buy some amsteel (or its equivilent) and learn how to make your own. (once you get good at it, it only takes a few min to put one together!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast