Shipping $5.00
    Tax $1.69
    Total $26.68

Received 26 July 2014

From Woot...........

Walkabout Hammock Rainfly

Price:$19.99 60% Off List Price:
    $49.99
    (Reviewers Note...list for $39.99 on Yukon Outfitters web site )

The Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rain fly is a great shelter solution that keeps your weight to a minimum. It is designed for all Yukon Outfitters hammocks, and is compatible with other brands as well.This rain fly features 4 total anchor points, 2 at the peaks to be attached on each tree, and 2 at the ground to be anchored with stakes. When its time to pack up and hit the trail, everything packs neatly in the stuff sack. Constructed of durable light weight PE. (Reviewers Note ...PE stands for Polyethylene)

• Great for camping, backpacking, and hammocking
    • Protects Your Yukon Hammock from rain and sun
    • Large coverage area covers you, your hammock, and the gear around you.
    • High-vis guy lines with reflective tracers for visibility day and night.
    • Integrated guy line tensioners
    • Reinforced corners for extended durability
    • Includes (4) guyline with tensioner and (2) metal stakes

Shipping Note: Eligible for shipping to all 50 states
    Warranty:1Year Limited Yukon Outfitters

From Yukon Ourfitters web site.....
    The Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rain fly is a great shelter solution that keeps your weight to a minimum. It is designed for all Yukon Outfitters hammocks, and is compatible with other brands as well.This rain fly features 4 total anchor points, 2 at the peaks to be attached on each tree, and 2 at the ground to be anchored with stakes. When its time to pack up and hit the trail, everything packs neatly in the stuff sack. Constructed of durable light weight PE.

Great for camping, backpacking, and hammocking
    Protects Your Yukon Hammock from rain and sun
    Large coverage area covers you, your hammock, and the gear around you.
    High-vis guy lines with reflective tracers for visibility day and night.
    Integrated guy line tensioners
    Reinforced corners for extended durability
    Includes guy line with tensioner and metal stakes

No where on Woot or Yukon's web site is the size of the tarp given. You will find it on the tag on the tarp.

Total weight 1 lb 04 oz (tarp, stuff sack, 2 tie out lines built in cord locks, 2 aluminum stakes and gear bag for tie out lines and stakes)

Weight break down

Stuff Sack …..0.4 oz or 11 grams
    Trap............. 12.6 oz or 358 grams
    Stakes........... 1.1 oz or 32 grams
    Cord …......... 2.1 oz or 60 grams ( bright orange with gray tracer line and line tensioners )
    Cord/Stake stuff sack…..0.2 oz or 5 grams

Stuff sack and tarp are a dark black like color

Tarp has large Yukon logo on it. Don't know why but I kind of like it.

The guy line tracers did not reflect any light when I shined a flashlight on the cord in a dark room at night.

According to the tag on the tarp.........

Tarp is a 190T polyethylene material and made in China
    Tag also state PU 1000MM which refers to how water proof it is. I do not know enough to know how good this combination of fabric and water proofing are.
    According to the tag the weight of the tarp is 14 oz and the size is 11ft 10” by 9ft x4” diagonally

The corners are reinforced and have metal grommets at each of the four corners but no fabric tie outs.

Conclusion... Not bad for a under $30 tarp but not great. You will need to replace the cheap aluminum stakes with something stronger. The tie out cord is ok but I would replace it with Zing It or Lash It once the current cord wears out. I would consider this a fair weather tarp as it is not going to provide much protection during a heavy rain storm. The reflective tracers in the cord did not reflect the light when I shined a flashlight on the cord in a dark room at night.

Personally I think the Mosquito Hammock's Dimond Rain Fly ( http://www.mosquitohammock.com/) is a much better tarp ( larger for more coverage and has fabric tie outs ). Only drawback is it will cost about $65 dollars with shipping vrs $27 for the Yukon..

First two pictures are from Yukon's website.

It will be a couple of days before I have time to set up the tarp and see how much coverage it does provide. I also plan to set up my Mosquito Hammock Tarp and do a side by side comparison on the coverage of the two tarps. Also have to check to see how water proof this tarp is. May have to do some seam sealing. It would be fairly easy to add grosgrain tie outs to the corners it you wanted to.

If you are looking for a beginners tarp then at this point I would say go for it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 07-27-2014 at 00:02.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Had a chance to set up the Yukon tarp outside at my hammock testing site in the backyard. I first set up my Mosquito Hammock Diamond Tarp (Claytor Hammocks ) to use for comparison as they are similar in size.

The Yukon tarp is about 6" shorter both in length and sides than the Mosquito Tarp so I would consider it like the Mosquito Tarp to be a fair weather tarp and would use it for a light rain but would be worried if using it during a heavy rain especially if was windy.

After I took some pictures and went back inside, I added 4 micro binners and two 6 ft long tie out lines ( made out of braided mason line ), the same way I have the Mosquito tarp set up. The Yukon tarp weighed in at about 1.5 ounces less than the Mosquito tarp ( includes factory stuff sack, 4 micro binners, 2 6ft tie out lines and the tarp ). However the Yukon tarp offers less coverage.

I also found that the tarp is too big to stuff back into the factory stuff sack. I can only get about 2/3 of the tarp back into the sack. Looks like I will have to make a stuff sack for it.

I have not had a chance to test if it is water proof or not and or the seams need sealing. I will check that at a later time.

For under $30 it's not a bad tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    This is great! Thanks for this. I still feel it's a great deal for < $30.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thanks Gunner, I got two at that price to help new hangers out.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I still feel it's a great deal for < $30.
    Never said its not a good deal, I bought one. You just need to be aware that during a heavy rain storm you will probably get wet when using this tarp. I would very leery about using this tarp with a 11 ft hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Never said its not a good deal, I bought one. You just need to be aware that during a heavy rain storm you will probably get wet when using this tarp. I would very leery about using this tarp with a 11 ft hammock.
    Thanks. Didn't mean any negative implication. I'm short and my hammock is < 10' so they should work for my purpose. It'll most likely be a fairweather tarp for me anyway. I got a Chinook 12x9.5 for any real weather. Can't quite afford a real silnylon tarp yet.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Didn't mean any negative implication
    Did not take it as such. Just trying to point out its limitations. While not an excellent tarp, for under $30 I think its a great tarp especially if you are starting out and or need something for the kids.

All gear no matter how good has its good and bad points. Its unusual for a such a low price tarp to have so much going for it. I was using the Mosquito Hammock Tarp as a compassion as many people have and use them and figured it would make a good reference tarp.

Reminds me that I also have a camo gear guide tarp I got a couple of years ago that I need to break out and do a side by side of.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Probably a great tarp for boy scouts or anyone using a shorter hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Straps
    Great write up. I purchased the same tarp. I used mine over the past weekend in the rain, it held up fine with my ENO Single Nest under it. I stayed dry, without any issues. I was under several large trees with good coverage though. I can't vouch for how well this would do without the additional water breaks the tree's provided.

I was able to get my tarp back into the sack, but couldn't do so using a "stuff it" type approach. I had to roll it up to get it back in. I'd much rather have a stuff sack.

I didn't realize the guylines were reflective, definitely didn't notice any of that at night either. I ended up putting aluminum foil tags on my line so I wouldn't trip over it. I bought two of these (have only received one). Can't really complain too much being how cheap they are. My plan is to make them available to my cheap skate brother and stepson.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    The suggestion to use shorter hammocks for this only got me thinking. This tarp is fairly long on the ridgeline (almost 12 feet). The optimal hang for a hammock suspension is 30 degrees. With a short hammock - say 9 feet, wouldn't the tarp need to be pitched quite a bit above the hammock (I'm thinking 2 feet or more) so that the 30 degree suspension is not impeded by the tarp on the way out? Also, if you hang it that high, any wind blow rain is going to make its way into the hammock.

Obviously, with a longer hammock, you have a different problem in that the hammock is closer to being exposed on the ends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast