Thread: Fabric Choices

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Fabric Choices

I've ordered a Thunderbird and from what I've heard, I know I'll be thrilled the day it gets here. Meanwhile, I'd looked at papa smurf's recent photos and I'd begun to question my fabric choices. I think the purple hammock with black overcover (#1072) looks really sharp, but most of my other gear is black/green, so I thought to stick with something similar to what I've already bought.

So I went with:
    Hammock - Double layer 1.1 Olive (greyish). I figured with the 68 inch width, it'd be the most comfortable and I went DL being a big n' juicy fella over 250 lbs.

Overcover - 2.3 Woodland Camo. I figured the heavier fabrics would be suited for colder weather (when I would use the overcover), but with the content being Poly/Nylon and the weave being "plain", I'm wondering if the fabric has some other property that makes it less desirable as cold weather protection. Also seeing that no one else is using woodland camo as an overcover in the recent photos makes me question my decision.

If anyone can provide any guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Regards.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Ordered Thunderbird - well done
    Double Layer 1.1 for 250lb hanger - very comfy selection
    68" wide - nice choice, better than 60 if you like getting on the diagonal, 72 is also great some find it too much (not me, I like 90!)
    Color = Olive - will blend in while out and about, won't shock the eyes of other campers like blaze orange or pink, thank you for that
    Over Cover 2.3 Camo - nothing wrong with camp, lots of it out there and woodland is a classic. Heavier fabric better for cold weather?? Meh, maybe, really it is a wind break and creates and micro climate inside that buys you around 12 degrees, sometimes a bit more and that is totally worth the price of admission when it is sub freezing

Folks that are very concerned about serious time in the serious cold go with canvas. Your fabric will do you well. Could you have gone with 1.9? Sure but hey, nothing wrong with your choice.

Watch the clicker and see your order climb the production queue, Congrats !!
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the reply Ratdog. I'm very much looking forward to the hammock. I guess for the overcover I shouldn't expect to be any warmer with a heavier fabric. Thanks for the Olive appreciation as well. I hadn't thought of the shock aspect of color choice in the woods.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryn8tor View Post
    I've ordered a Thunderbird and from what I've heard, I know I'll be thrilled the day it gets here. Meanwhile, I'd looked at papa smurf's recent photos and I'd begun to question my fabric choices. I think the purple hammock with black overcover (#1072) looks really sharp, but most of my other gear is black/green, so I thought to stick with something similar to what I've already bought.
    Thanks, that's my purple ThunderBird. It looks better (more purple) in person. Until last year I was a dedicated camo or earth tone guy but after several years in the Army & Army Nat'l Guard followed by many more years carrying "military" colored gear I'd had enough of it. Bought a purple Ohm last year and now I have the purple T-Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn8tor View Post
    So I went with:
    Hammock - Double layer 1.1 Olive (greyish). I figured with the 68 inch width, it'd be the most comfortable and I went DL being a big n' juicy fella over 250 lbs.

Overcover - 2.3 Woodland Camo. I figured the heavier fabrics would be suited for colder weather (when I would use the overcover), but with the content being Poly/Nylon and the weave being "plain", I'm wondering if the fabric has some other property that makes it less desirable as cold weather protection. Also seeing that no one else is using woodland camo as an overcover in the recent photos makes me question my decision.

If anyone can provide any guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Regards.
    Not a thing wrong with your color choices at all. I've no experience with a hammock wider than 63" so I don't know if it helps or hinders the "perfect lay." I don't think the heavier fabric would make a noticeable difference with heat retention but I could be wrong. You could always go with the 1.0 Woodland Camo to maintain your color choices and save yourself a little weight on the trail.

FWIW, if you just placed your order you have 2-3 weeks to change your mind about fabric choices. The Smurfs are great and will accomodate any changes you might like to make.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks trail runner. I don't know why I was that concerned about color. I figure 97% of the time that I'm in it, it'll be dark and I'll have my eyes closed and it wouldn't matter if it's zig-zagged and polka dotted.

• + New Posts