Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR

adjustable knots for webbing with no loop to a continuous loop? biners?

Hi, everyone. I am currently struggling to figure out a system of connecting a 1in webbing to a hammock with a continuous loop. I only have carabiners (that came with the hammocks and presumably capable of holding either one of us up) and would like to avoid spending any more money looking for descender rings and the like. If I do end up using a toggle setup, I have a great pair bolt and nut that's perfect for this purpose (Not too worried about weight at the moment, this system would still be much lighter than my last hammock setup).

Most of the information I have found out there on the great online usually consist of knots that are not exactly adjustable like the marlin spike knot and toggle setup.

I just can't seem to find a knot or toggle setup that would work with a biner on continuous loop system and remain rather adjustable.

Am I looking for something that's just not possible or is just too complicated for my need?

Thank you for any input.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    You'll get lots of opinions on this. I am a noob and just a casual hanger but here are the 3 suspension systems I use on the diy tablecloths hammocks I made.
    1. 10 ft webbing, cinch buckles, amsteel continuous loop. This is very user friendly.
    2. Atlas straps, carabiner, amsteel continuous loop. User friendly but more expensive.
    3. 8 ft webbing, carabiner to Marlin spike hitch, amsteel whoopie sling. Most adjustable setup.

Based on what you have, I would just use a Marlin spike hitch with the carabiner as the toggle.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The 2:00 mark of the below video shows what is to me the easiest setup you can possibly have. It doesn't get much simpler than 2 half hitches IMHO. No complicated knots or hitches to learn or remember.

You can do this directly to your continuous loop at the end of your hammock - no need for a ring like is used in the video. I've been using this method on my backyard and basement hammocks for years and wish this method got more attention.

For ease of use, adjustability, and zero hardware; this method wins for me hands down.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I recall reading about someone using a prussik on webbing to suspend their hammock. I can't exactly recall how well it worked, but in order to hold your weight, you may need additional wraps which could make it difficult to adjust after loading.

Outside of that, I can't think of any other way to adjust suspension without untying and retying knots, or needing to buy something more than what you list.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know you said you don't want to by any more hardware, but I've been doing a lot of research on suspension lately. I would strongly suggest you look at the new DutchWare gear offerings. I wanted to be able to adjust my webbing around the tree AND the whoopie suspension. The new G-Clip's (I believe they're called) are $20 for the pair, very lightweight, and let you adjust the webbing back and forth so you could literally have just a continuous loop on your hammock, then straight to the tree straps.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    ...The new G-Clip's (I believe they're called) are $20 for the pair, very lightweight, and let you adjust the webbing back and forth so you could literally have just a continuous loop on your hammock, then straight to the tree straps.
    And are currently unavailable as they are redesigned.

Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    If I DO buy more hardware, it would be this, http://www.homedepot.com/p/qv/100121681

I've already used something a bit bigger than that for my other hammock and it works perfectly for me. I just found this one and the price is very reasonable for me. $3.10 + tax.

Still... I'm wanting to find out more options just in case anything fail and I'm loving the ability to adjust as needed so I have been following everyone's advices that I could and experimented with all suggestions.

Thank you and keep it coming!

P.S. I am trying to put together a suspension system for a second hammock (I've been converting my wife to hammock lately and she finally decided to try sleeping in a hammock regularly. Just need the adjust-ability as she is getting more comfortable with the backpacking and camping trips I have been wanting to go to.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    And are currently unavailable as they are redesigned.
    I hope not as mine just shipped out last night from them... Were there problems with them working properly?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I hope not as mine just shipped out last night from them... Were there problems with them working properly?
    Thinner more subtle webbing has slipped on one customer. Thicker webbing holds fine. Dutch suggests using a half hitch to back it up to be safe for now. He's working on a redesgn and knowing Dutch he'll probably offer a swap when the new ones are ready.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast