Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Trunk Double

What are your thoughts on the grand trunk double for recreational use and casual camping?

Are the straps that come with the Grand Trunk Double adequate? I was thinking of buying Eno Atlas Straps and using those with the Grand Trunk Double, would that work?

Thanks!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I used at Atlas straps with my GT Double for about a year. Worked just fine.

For casual napping (is there any other kind?) I love my GT double. It is also my go to dayhike hammock because it fits in a cargo pocket or knapsack.

For overnight camping it works as well as an ENO and does suffice for occassional use. It matters how big ir small you are but as an example, at 5' 11" 300+ lbs, I've spent many a night in my trusty GT.

Ultimately, after finding HF, I added a ridgeline and the hammock was that much more comfortable. After that, I ditched the Atlas straps in favor of whoopies and tree straps.

Due to the nature of the fabric, you will not get as flat a lay as you would in a cottage vendor hammock. Not that it isn't comfortable, it is, but when you try a $250 hammock, the light gies on and you can feel the difference. That said, I domhave several nice hammocks, but the GT Double is always in the truck ready for any spontaneous adventure.

Enjoy, and welcome to the slippery slope.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    I also have the GT Double and thoroughly enjoy it. I recommend swapping out the stock suspension and replacing with whoopie slings and straps. I use a MSH and haven't looked back.

It is a comfortable hammock and I'm sure there are better but since I can't afford them, I am happily ignorant and just enjoy my hammock and the sleep/rest I get while laying in it.

A good supplier of whoopies and straps is Dutch - search for Dutch Ware Gear using your favorite browser / search engine.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I have one. Bought it just to check it out. Intrigued by the width. It's my hammock-in-a-ball kept in the vehicle if needed hammock. I put some amsteel through the channels.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    For the price you pay for the Grand Trunk double, you may want to look at the Wilderness Logic Lite Owl or Night Owl, or the Warbonnet Traveler, or the BIAS Hammocks. They will be much more comfortable, and you will be in hammock heaven.
    "No whining in the woods"

I just bought an 11' "double" from infinity outfitters. Pre installed whoopie sling suspension for 53 shipped. I'd give them a look see. Don't be shy to contact Dominic he's very easy to work with and will explain any questions you have.

Edit: same set up on sale for 45$ and they do fast turnaround. I ordered on Sunday and mines do tomorrow
    Last edited by edgeaddict; 07-22-2014 at 12:47.

I just went to the infinity outfitters site and the hammocks look awesome and the double is much cheaper than Grand Trunks or Enos. when you get the hammock can you let me know what you think of it? I'm gonna look into this company. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayjewels View Post
    I just went to the infinity outfitters site and the hammocks look awesome and the double is much cheaper than Grand Trunks or Enos. when you get the hammock can you let me know what you think of it? I'm gonna look into this company. Thanks!
    Yea I most definitely will. They are very cost effective for a cottage vendor. I went with them because they were very confident in their product and were more than happy to answer my questions and concerns. They should be here tomorrow and I'll do a test hang before going up mountain for a three day hang.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Suspension
    PS, whoopies
    The ropes that come with the GTD are garbage in my opinion, bought some Python Straps on amazon and they are awesome. As for the hammock itself I am very satisfied.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps
    I won there daily giveaway and it hasnt arrived yet but what seems to be wrong with the ropes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast