WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    your not sewing anything? Will tape and glue really take all that stress? Not degrade and peel off over time?
    Cf uses a glue that is normally used to hold cars and airplanes together - it's an entirely different material. Sewing it would actually weaken it (think of it as sewing milk bags vs gluing them).

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Cf uses a glue that is normally used to hold cars and airplanes together - it's an entirely different material. Sewing it would actually weaken it (think of it as sewing milk bags vs gluing them).
    While that is true to an extent, the strongest tie outs are bonded and sewn. If you are really averse to sewing you could tape grosgrain onto each side of the tarp and then bond a cuben patch on both sides. I would use a pressure roller to put sufficient pressure on the bonded areas. This type of tie out would most likely be strong enough to avoid sewing.

Ryan

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Thanks! I was planning on following SGT. Rock's guide using 3M 94 Tape Primer, painted on with either a paintbrush or Popsicle stick, and the cf double sided tape. I wasn't planning on sewing anything, except maybe the tie out points.

I have some other questions:
    Is it possible to glue the tie outs on instead of sewing them?
    How quickly do you need to work before the primer dries?
    I'm glad you linked to Sgt. Rock's guide. I hadn't seen it before, and he does a great job of explaining this bonding process in detail. It happens to be the same one I use.
    You can glue the tieouts, but you need to make them strong enough. Using the same thickness cuben as the tarp. I had to use several layers to hold a 2" dowel to the tarp edge. Then I poked a hole in the tarp just inside the dowel so I could fasten the guy line to the dowel. I could have used a heavier grade of cuben, but I didn't have any. I have also sewn grosgrain loops to stronger cuben reinforcement patches, then glued them to the tarp and finally glued a slightly larger cuben patch over that.

As Sgt. Rock notes in the video, you let the primer dry before you use the VHB tape over it, so no problem with working quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    your not sewing anything? Will tape and glue really take all that stress? Not degrade and peel off over time?
    Absolutely! I have never seen a VHB bond fail. This is not ordinary tape. In fact, it's not even "tape" in the sense that you're probably thinking of - just a thin layer of adhesive between two kraft paper backing strips. (This also makes it much lighter than conventional tapes.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I'm glad you linked to Sgt. Rock's guide. I hadn't seen it before, and he does a great job of explaining this bonding process in detail. It happens to be the same one I use.
    You can glue the tieouts, but you need to make them strong enough. Using the same thickness cuben as the tarp. I had to use several layers to hold a 2" dowel to the tarp edge. Then I poked a hole in the tarp just inside the dowel so I could fasten the guy line to the dowel. I could have used a heavier grade of cuben, but I didn't have any. I have also sewn grosgrain loops to stronger cuben reinforcement patches, then glued them to the tarp and finally glued a slightly larger cuben patch over that.

As Sgt. Rock notes in the video, you let the primer dry before you use the VHB tape over it, so no problem with working quickly.
    Thanks! That's really helpful - I completely forgot about the part where he said to let it dry, it's a really long video.

Images
    How about that. You can tape a tarp together. Is it pretty straight forward?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yup, but not cheap.

You can see my latest cuben tarp in this thread. The video in the first post is pretty long, but if you jump to the follow-up video in post 24 you'll see how easy it is to modify a cuben tarp.

Images
    ah cool. I'll have to watch that this weekend. I did notice that cuben fiber is quitte pricey, but you could probably make a gigantic tarp if you wanted with that stuff being so light and compressible.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Be wary of specifics. Try to be as general as possible. Also, check your bank balance.
    Excellent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12