Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

new kid! hello!! tips and help?

so i'm the new kid on the block for HF. i'm also a noob when it comes to hanging. i'm still learning a lot and trying to understand abbreviations so please bare with me and try to spell abbreviations out for me when you use them so i understand what they mean, thanks!!

i'm from pittsburgh, pa so we get all 4 seasons here. i just bought my first hammock (ENO singlenest.. i know i know, ppl badmouth them often but i love mine thus far.) a friend and i are heading out for some camping next week when the weather breaks of this constant rain crap. i'm traditional in the sense of gear being a sleeping bag and pad. ill take 2 small pillows for behind my knees and head. any other suggestions to take for my first hanging camping trip? side note: i've been tent camping since i was about 3 so i know the basics for that, i'm just looking for items that may differ from being on the ground.

i also do not have the finances for one of those oh so amazing tarps that are made for camping so i'm going to be heading over to my local wally world to buy a 10X10 tarp. does anybody have suggestions (pictures help immensely) for how to set it up as a rain fly?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    A wet welcome, from soaked Florida.

Don't worry about ENO hammock. It will get you off the ground and that's what matters. The hammock and suspension will have to be fine tuned for you to be comfortable. The SB(sleeping bag) and pad will do for your insulation, just as on the ground. The tree straps may be the easiest to change/upgrade if you feel the need.

In the future, you will look for an easier and even more comfortable way to stay warm. Enter, stage right, is the TQ/UQ (top quilt, underquilt). TQ replaces the SB. It has no back and it's easier to get into in a hammock. UQ replaces pad. It goes outside and under the hammock so you don't have to balance on it like the pad.

The tarp is your tent so you want good coverage and a 10x10 will do that. Either in square or diamond shape, both fine. That's also an upgrade opportunity in the future. Look at the cottage venders here. Great products.

Then, go to group hangs found here on the forums for your neck of the woods. Plenty of fine folks to help you out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Greetings from central MS! Go ahead and get the 10x12 and set it up in a rectangular style, like a pup tent. Set the front of it higher (porch mode) unless a downpour hits. I got a camo one from Wally World a few months back for around $16. Fairly heavy duty, it is. Hope this helps, sorry for the lack of pics, I have none on my phone.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    thank you for all of the info. i opted out of the TQ/UQ idea because i'm so hot blooded haha. i am the wacko running around in shorts and a tee in the dead of winter and still warm. so more times than not, the sleeping bag doesnt really stay in the game plan too long anyways. i'm going to attempt it for now because i know the air moves all around me when hanging, so i want to plan for just incase. and thank you for the group hangs idea. i will be checking that out right now.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    i'm glad to know that you went with a plain tarp too. it seems that so many people are more interested in the high end nifty stuff. me personally, i'm simple so a regular tarp will suffice. do you tie it down with paracord and stakes or something else? also, do you just do 4 points or do you punch a hole on each side to make 6?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    A better tarp is used for hiking purposes. They compact smaller, are lighter and less noisy when it rains. For car camping, no biggy. When hiking, the space and weight savings mean you can take other stuff.

Don't use paracord for tarps. It stretches and you want the tarp pitched tight. For short guylines, not too bad if you use tarp tensioners. Check out Shugs videos. He just made a series for tarps.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Eno makes a great hammock and they will repair their products at no charge forever. Enjoy and happy hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Are bugs going to be an issue? If so a bugnet would be nice unless you're just going to load up with bugspray on your face and rely on the coverage of your sleeping bag.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Don't use paracord for tarps. It stretches and you want the tarp pitched tight. For short guylines, not too bad if you use tarp tensioners. Check out Shugs videos. He just made a series for tarps.
    i am actually making a DIY bugnet this weekend *fingers crossed* however, i don't usually get eaten up too much. and thank you for answering that. i'm still floating around HF to figure out where everything is located and i think i found the videos in the media section, just didnt start digging into those yet. thanks for all the help everybody!!

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast