Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFace View Post
    ...i think i found the videos in the media section, just didnt start digging into those yet...
    You can go to Youtube and look for, Shugemery. A wealth of info and entertainment.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    You can go to Youtube and look for, Shugemery. A wealth of info and entertainment.
    oh my. i went and started watching. didn't even click for me at first but i literally spent like 4 hours yesterday watching his channel. he def keeps learning interesting and fun.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Tarp hanging ideas

i also do not have the finances for one of those oh so amazing tarps that are made for camping so i'm going to be heading over to my local wally world to buy a 10X10 tarp. does anybody have suggestions (pictures help immensely) for how to set it up as a rain fly?
    Thousands of extreme adventures use these poly-tarps and many used oiled canvas traps that were even heavier for over a hundred years before that so there is not problem there. There are dozens of good methods to hand a tarp that all work well minor pros and cons with each method and minor variation. Shug's videos are entertaining and he has some great ideas and experience. Brandon from Warbonnet Outdoors has several good ideas, his youtube videos are the opposite of Shug's i.e. very to the point with virtually no humor but very helpful. Also Dutch has some good demos of his hardware which is not necessary mostly just fun and speeds up the setup (saves a bit of time).

personally I like the Continuous Rigdeline concept for hanging a tarp preferably with dyneema such as Lash-it or Zing-it. Perhaps Shug had a video of this just search on YT, HF etc. Derek Hansen wrote a very good book on Hammock hanging.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome to Hammock forums! About using an ENO, if you like it, youre totally cool. Just about every one here has lots of hammocks in their collection. (You've got to start some where!) Over time, I'm sure you will try other models etc. Some hammocks are better for certain conditions etc. Its all good----------have fun on your trip, and besure to try things out at home first. Showing up for backpacking with untested gear is a recipe for disaster (Trust me on this one! )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Welcome to Hammock forums! About using an ENO, if you like it, youre totally cool. Just about every one here has lots of hammocks in their collection. (You've got to start some where!) Over time, I'm sure you will try other models etc. Some hammocks are better for certain conditions etc. Its all good----------have fun on your trip, and besure to try things out at home first. Showing up for backpacking with untested gear is a recipe for disaster (Trust me on this one! )
    haha i appreciate it. as far as testing at home, i ALWAYS do this. i usually have it down pat by the time i leave. i'm actually getting my tarp today so i will be playing around with that today as well. i'm super excited. first hammock trip, first time kayaking (finally), i'm all sorts of excited. i appreciate everybodys help. it means a lot that you ladies and gents are so understanding to us noobs and are there to help us out.

one general question about the forums though, is there a way that i can look at only the forums that i've posted/replied in?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    one general question about the forums though, is there a way that i can look at only the forums that i've posted/replied in?
    If you look at top, you'll see your name. Click on that. Next page, on the left, under your info, click on "find latest post".
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    Initially, and while cost is a major factor, I'd go with keeping things simple. To begin with, paracord stretching while used as guy lines isn't that big a deal when you consider that most tarps'll sag in the wet regardless. And if you're pulling your guy lines so taut to worry about paracord stretching then they're arguably too tight anyway. A 10x10 tarp, guy'd out with paracord with short shock-cord tensioners, will be sufficient and inexpensive enough for starters. As you get the feel of things, you can make your adjustments. And Shug's vids are FULL of excellent, interesting and educational ideas.

Most of all - just go out and do it. You are your own best judge of your own comfort and style. You'll know soon enough what works and doesnt work for you. And if it doesn't work, you know where to come for advice.
    Living, learning, and loving both.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    you guys are the best! thanks sooo much for the help and words!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12