WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

UQ length & Width

So I finally have enough money to order a HG incubator, but now I'm stalling because of the seemingly huge dimensions. I just spent the past two months sleeping on a 27" CCF pad, and it was just barely wide enough. Of course, I kept it inside the hammock with me, so shifting it under me during the night was trivial. So now I want to know:

Is it really necessary to get a 44" wide UQ?
    Do you need wider UQs than you would if it were a pad?
    Would it be harder to shift a UQ under you during the night than a pad if you're in mosquito country and too scared to open the bug net?
    Also, what about lengths? I'm 5'3" (63") so I'm hoping to save a lot of weight here - do you think I could ask Adam for a much shorter (& skinnier) UQ? What length would suffice, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    So I finally have enough money to order a HG incubator, but now I'm stalling because of the seemingly huge dimensions. I just spent the past two months sleeping on a 27" CCF pad, and it was just barely wide enough. Of course, I kept it inside the hammock with me, so shifting it under me during the night was trivial. So now I want to know:

Is it really necessary to get a 44" wide UQ?
    Do you need wider UQs than you would if it were a pad?
    Would it be harder to shift a UQ under you during the night than a pad if you're in mosquito country and too scared to open the bug net?
    Also, what about lengths? I'm 5'3" (63") so I'm hoping to save a lot of weight here - do you think I could ask Adam for a much shorter (& skinnier) UQ? What length would suffice, in your opinion?

Thanks!
    I think you will want it to wrap up around your shoulder and thighs. The ultimate. Yes....it will be wider than a pad and conform to you.
    You could go shorter but I would not go much skinnier. Talk with Adam though and he will advise you.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The pads are good in a hammock, but, the pad will not form to your body as you sleep. The UQ will form to you, which is why it's soooo comfortable, better than pads, IMO.

When you use a TQ/UQ combo, the TQ wraps around you and the UQ overlaps the TQ (from outside, of course)sealing in the warmth. Its a little harder with a pad since it doesn't wrap around you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i'm 5ft 7in and with a really slim build. I also long distance hike so i'm obsessed with backpack weight. After making 2 or 3 diy underquilts of various widths, I decided that 36 inches was plenty wide enough for me (again, i'm a really slim build). 36 inches wide gives me about 3-4 inches above my shoulders when the underquilt was wrapped around me. Even with my leg in the "figure 4" position, i still had plenty of coverage. I ordered a custom enlightened equipment prospect (of course down is much lighter but i like the qualities of a synthetic underquilt for long distance hikes). final size was 36 inches wide and 45 inches long with a 30F rating. weight came in at 12.3 oz.

i'm pretty new to hammocks but really put a lot of thought into the width (and weight) of the underquilt, i think its going to work for me...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Er... What about tossing and turning in your sleep - how easy is it to shift a UQ around from the inside to still cover you? I really want to order a 34" wide UQ instead of the standard 44" because I'm a gram weenie, and I'm confident that I would be comfortable on that, but I'm not sure if I would be able to turn over and still not go over the edge of the UQ. Is it difficult to stay within the bounds of a UQ when sleeping?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well, here's another data point for you. I am 6'-1" tall and weigh 200 pounds. All my under quilts are 40" wide. I'm a restless side sleeper and change sides several times per night. The 40" works perfectly for me. It's ample but not overdone.

Lengthwise, being taller than you, my summer under quilts are 50" which is barely adequate for me. My winter under quilts are 54" long. In both cases, I use a CCF pad under my lower legs & feet.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Er... What about tossing and turning in your sleep - how easy is it to shift a UQ around from the inside to still cover you? I really want to order a 34" wide UQ instead of the standard 44" because I'm a gram weenie, and I'm confident that I would be comfortable on that, but I'm not sure if I would be able to turn over and still not go over the edge of the UQ. Is it difficult to stay within the bounds of a UQ when sleeping?
    i tried side sleeping and "figure 4" and both of them works with a 36 inch quilt. also if it helps, my girlfriend got the same size underquilt. shes my height but slimmer and it also works perfectly for her...thats 2 data points

she's more of a gram counter than I am, so of course weight was a big factor in going 36 inch. she was going to give 33 a try (i think some vendor here has a summer quilt that is 33 inches) but we figured it was worth it go to 36 inches to be sure since this was our first purchased underquilt. i'd rather have a wee bit extra width if i needed it

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    "figure 4"
    figure 4 - that's with one knee out, right?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    figure 4 - that's with one knee out, right?
    Right. And the foot under your leg for a little support. Sometimes, I shift legs for the "4" and other times I have one or the other knee or both out, but not in "4", just out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and use a short Incubator. Lengthwise, I wouldn't want it to be much shorter - it's just enough error margin to make sure I'm not touching the cinch shock cords with my head or feet. With regards to the width: I have also been thinking of getting something slimmer, because I have tons of unused space in the head end. However, I wouldn't want to lose width in the foot end (the Incubator tapers). And I wouldn't want the quilt a lot narrower in the middle. I don't know how well the design would work with a narrower head end...

If you go for it, let us know how it works out. I'd be interested in saving some ounces, too...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast