Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Announcing new Diamond Ripstop fabric line - Hyper D

In addition to adding to our standard product line over the last few months, I've been working hard on several development projects with the ultimate goal of bringing new, exciting fabrics to the community. I was only introduced to hammock camping about 3 years ago, so in the grand scheme of things, I'm somewhat green to the hobby. However, looking back I think that has been a real asset. It's allowed me to take a look at things with fresh eyes and say "Why doesn't anyone use this? It would be REALLY COOL..." or "It seems like everyone wants this, why can't we go out and make it...". One such instance of asking myself those questions resulted in what I'm introducing today.

After several months of work, I'm proud to announce the launch of a new diamond ripstop nylon fabric line called "HyperD". The initial line will consist of both 1.6 oz and 1.0 oz ultralight varieties. I designed HyperD to be a premium DIY material that performs, feels, and looks better than standard square grid ripstop nylon. On the performance side, the material offers a superior strength-to-weight ratio, lower stretch, and increased resistance to deformation under heavy loads (i.e. when you stretch it hard it doesn't warp as much). On the feel side, the 40D fiber and special finishing give it an amazingly soft hand feel. Lastly, it just has a sharp look that's different than everything else out there. Even if you've made a dozen hammocks, I can guarantee that one made out of HyperD will stand out.

I wanted to give you a number of color options right out of the gate, so I invested the extra money to start with 6 colors for the 1.6 oz and 2 colors for the 1.0 oz. Here is the lineup:

1.6 oz HyperD
    Olive Drab
    Charcoal Gray
    Blaze Orange
    Spectra Yellow
    Robin Egg Blue
    Black

1.0 oz HyperD
    Olive Drab
    Charcoal gray

The first lot of 1.6 oz has just come out of production today. I have it available on the site now as pre-sale with an expected ship date of 07/18. The 1.0 oz ultralight is ~7 days behind the 1.6 oz, so I'll be adding it to the site over the next few days. If you haven't already, I encourage you to shoot me a PM to request a sample. I still have a small quantity left over from the sampling yardage that I'll gladly send out to you free of charge. Thanks to everyone for their support and please let me know if you have questions. Let us DIY

1.6 oz HyperD - http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...-ripstop-nylon

1.0 oz HyperD - http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...-ripstop-nylon (*nothing here yet but there will be)

Review of 1.6 oz HyperD single-layer by Gresh: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Weave-Ripstop
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Sweet, can't wait to give this a go! Any ideas on weight limits? Any plans to make an ul HyperD sil??

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Requested a full sample book, as well as a sample of HyperD. I was just starting to look for something cool to replace my lost hammock. Defiantly caught my attention with this

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I am excited about this material. No purple, though?? It is a really nice color on the demo model.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Sweet, can't wait to give this a go! Any ideas on weight limits? Any plans to make an ul HyperD sil??
    The most stressing test so far is Gresh in a single layer 1.6 oz (no offense Gresh lol) at 385 lbs. I always hesitate to quote weight limits for the fabric by itself since several other variables could ultimately determine the overall load rating for a setup. That being said, assuming everything else is good, 350 lbs was a comfortable number I had in mind.

No plans to do a UL HyperD Sil at the moment. Several other projects have the funds tied up.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I am excited about this material. No purple, though?? It is a really nice color on the demo model.
    I know sorry . Had to draw the line somewhere for this first run. I actually thought about your comments in the other thread when I scratched it off the list! It's on the short list next time though.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    I know sorry . Had to draw the line somewhere for this first run. I actually thought about your comments in the other thread when I scratched it off the list! It's on the short list next time though.
    I understand. It really is a nice deep color. Maybe I should just stick with my green theme...somehow everything has ended up in that hue.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Any plans to make an ul HyperD sil??
    Not to go off on a tangent, but I have looked into it. I used to think the main problem with using a lighter/thinner ripstop nylon than 1.1 would be questionable durability/strength, but based on testing and talking to the manufacturers I work with, the bigger problem is the inability to achieve a high hydrostatic head (waterproof rating) and increased variability in the coating thickness. At least based on what I know today, I wouldn't pursue a silnylon lighter/thinner than the 1.1 oz 20 D we currently carry. Granted, it would be pretty cool
    - Kyle

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Would the 1.0 fabric be suitable for a hammock sock, or will the wind pass through it too easily?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent, but I have looked into it. I used to think the main problem with using a lighter/thinner ripstop nylon than 1.1 would be questionable durability/strength, but based on testing and talking to the manufacturers I work with, the bigger problem is the inability to achieve a high hydrostatic head (waterproof rating) and increased variability in the coating thickness. At least based on what I know today, I wouldn't pursue a silnylon lighter/thinner than the 1.1 oz 20 D we currently carry. Granted, it would be pretty cool
    Fair enough, thanks for the detailed answer. It low stretch sil would be cool!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast