DIY - Green Thing
    Tarp
    big enough for 3
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Not yet Hanging... Family Camping?

My last backpacking trip with my son helped me decide to get off the ground. I'm quite interested in hammock camping. I have some questions though.

I am blessed with 5 kids. Probably would only take a back pack trip with 2 or 3 of the older kids. Tell me what that looks like functionally. If you do one child over the top of you do they have same level of need for an under quilt?

What kind of experience can be shared about car camping with a family of similar size?

In general suggestions about hammock camping with children would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome imspared!
    We have three kids, all hanging.
    Our oldest will be coming on his first backpacking trip in less than two weeks, the other two are still limited to car camping. We've kept it cheap so for for them (except the oldest). They are still using foam eggcrate for bottom insulation, and a variety of old sleeping bags. So far it's worked great. The oldest and youngest are usually hanging near my wife, with the middle son somewhere near me. They know to let us know when they have to get out in the middle of the night for a bathroom break so we can make sure they get back in.
    The toughest part was the first night sleeping by themselves outside, without anyone immediately beside them. Fortunately, they tend to pass out almost immediately after crawling in. They didn't do this in the tent.
    They generally can't get changed inside their hammocks, so depending on your comfort in changing in front of people, you may need a small tent or big tarp for that. It's not much of an issue for us.
    IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Love this pic!! Thanks for posting.

And: welcome imspared and family!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have 4 sons, ages 5-8, and all have spent multiple nights in their hammocks. We have never camped far away from a cabin, so it hasn't been true backpacking, but the sleeping part they love (and so do I since they sleep soundly way later then they do in their beds)! It's not cheap but trying to outfit them with the right gear makes all the difference. I'm just collecting UQs, tarps and bug nets as I see them and can afford them. AHE Jarbidges make great "full length" UQs for kids. ENO Guardian bug nets work great. They are tough. My one son got out to pee and couldn't climb back into this sleeping bag inside the hammock, so I woke up in the morning to find him sleeping partially on the ground in the bottom of the bug net. It was no worse for the wear. I also found a reasonably priced UST tarp, that when hung asym just covers their hammocks. It wouldn't keep them completely dry in a driving rain I don't think, but works for fair nights or light rain. Link below...

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survi...+Survival+tarp

Not sure how much you want to put into it, but I have developed the philosophy that if I want my boys to enjoy what I enjoy, I have to at least have equipment for them that won't detract from the experience...think bikes, sports equipment, hammock rigs, etc.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by keatham View Post
    ...so I woke up in the morning to find him sleeping partially on the ground in the bottom of the bug net.
    I would love to see a picture of this.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wish I had a pic! But he looked surprisingly comfortable. Maybe he found a new way to lay. Who needs the hammock when you've got a bug net?!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    ENO bug nets are heavy, but they sure are tough! I think both me and my son have on occasion found ourselves sitting in the bug net, and the nets still looks like new.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I missed my hammock once in a sleepy stupor, and the Guardian held me like a champ. Maybe I should've taken a tip from my boy and stayed the night there.

Hammock
    DIY - Green Thing
    Tarp
    big enough for 3
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for those pics and the encouragement.

Overall hammock backpacking looks like a much more comfortable solution. However the cost of outfitting everyone looks a little bit like buying everyone their own tent, which I guess is what each system is.

Does using a larger tarp and having a kid sleep above you create a warmer space for the child? Is it a viable option to set-up bunk bed style routinely?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Setting up bunk bed does not make it warmer for either user...unless chili was for dinner. both users would still ned proper insulation for the night time temps. Yes it is fine to set up in Bunk bed mode all the time. You can use one tarp for both and you are able to keep tabs on the kids easily without getting up and are close by if they need you.

This is how we set up with all 3 kids a little over a year ago on a family trip. A in the middle there was set up above me on that trip.

The next trip I set him up next to me under the same tarp.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast