Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I learned my lesson about tarp testing as well. My superfly hadn't leaked but I had only been in light rain or brief showers. During an extended night's soaking my tie outs leaked big time. My fault for not checking it out with a hose first. Cuben does take care of those worries.

Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I learned my lesson about tarp testing as well. My superfly hadn't leaked but I had only been in light rain or brief showers. During an extended night's soaking my tie outs leaked big time. My fault for not checking it out with a hose first. Cuben does take care of those worries.
    Did you seal beforehand with Permatex?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I sealed after.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Gotta say I have used a diamond claytor for 8 years and never had an issue. I love the simplicity and sometimes have to bring it down close when it is nasty but when I want minimalist effort and work, it shines. I do spray a silicone waterproofing on it every spring though, seems to help. The only time I don't use it is in winter.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLT
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Down quilts
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Hi there from Redmond, WA...my first hammock was the Claytor Jungle Hammock and I never had a problem at all with it in any way. I still use it with my grand daughter and she loves it. I now just totally use my Warbonnet XLC which is totally outstanding in all respects. I am now getting ready to order another XLC so some of my good bodies can come along with me without the expense and the great chance to enjoy hanging in our beautiful state.
    DSCN0195.jpg
    Jay Collins

Avid Kayak Fisherman and Hanger Known as Jayfish17 or Stealth17
    Redmond, WA

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ok Stealth I would need to set some different straps to get around those trees!

Washington is beautiful

cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by ADKrella View Post
    My father in law purchased this tarp a few weeks ago .

He used it on a 5 day trip recently and one night it stormed pretty bad.

This Tarp Leaked like a sieve soaking all his sleeping gear.

Very surprising considering there isn't a ridgeline seam.

The Only seams on this tarp are on the sides ......well away from the hammock.

When we returned he made small pools of water in the tarp all around various places to see if it held any water at all.....it just poured through.

This tarp Would make a good pre-filter for your drinking water but a terrible shelter.

He's super bummed about it because he really liked this tarp.

Perhaps this is a manufacturing defect or something....I'm not sure.

He emailed them , explained , and they are giving him a full refund which is good ..... but they offered no explanations or apologies.

We were many miles out in the mountains and if the conditions were worse at a different time of year it could have spelled very bad news for him.

I know people like the hammocks and I hate negative posts but ,had to let people know.......

Pretty.
    Serious.
    Bummer.

just a heads up.
    I'm curious as to how you set it up as no one else has asked this. Did you use it as a diamond with two ends and two downward sloping side flaps? Or did you set it up in a flat manor somehow so as to allow water to pool and then work it's way through?

I've not had any problems with mine leaking at all and I've been in some torrential rainstorms with it.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd re-use it so anyone reading will get the older reviews instead of starting a new thread.

I bought one of these in 2016 but due to health issues and not being able to put up a 4x4 post, I never got to use it. Until Saturday. I made a stand and decided to hang and test it in the yard. The seams leaked like hell! There is no seam on the ridge it is on the last foot and a half or so from the tie-outs, so no water actually came in to my hammock. I already have all the stuff to seam seal it, and will do so before next use...

Be forewarned if you buy one, judging by other posters opinion as well as mine, you can count on having to seam seal it before using it!!! That being said, I'm fairly certain I will be pleased with it thereafter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My first tarp was a Claytor Diamond Tarp ( got it about 9 years ago ). Unless they changed the design the seams are about half way down the sides and very unlikely that they would get your hammock wet unless you set it up cattywampus.

Like most tarps....all tarp seams should be sealed unless the manufacture states they do not need to be seam sealed.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I have had this tarp for over 7 years and it has never leaked on me. I wonder if there has been a change in material or design?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast