Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know the specifics of those Coleman replacement poles, but it seems like at 6mm diameter you are going to be adding a lot of weight if you replace the ones the Byer comes with. There's no way they need to be that thick since they are not load bearing in any way. They just help spread the net out, that's all. I would suggest not replacing the spreader bars, unless you actually lost or broke one. And if you do have to replace it, find something in a similar diameter and weight.

I should also note that in my last followup, the troubles I had with the under quilt fitting to my Warbonnet Blackbird were entirely my fault. I don't think I was attaching the suspension to the hammock properly, thus accounting for many of the problems I was having. The other talking points about the positive features of the Byer hammock are still valid, however. But it was unfair to bring the under quilt into the discussion since apparently I was doing it all wrong. I plan on keeping both hammocks because I think they are both great in their own regard.

Hammock
    Byer Mosquito
    Tarp
    ZPacks Camo Cuben
    Suspension
    Fixed Loop/BIAS HA
    Timmerton, you're probably right. I just used the same diameter as the ones that came with the D Frontline. The pair weigh in at 1.65 oz.

Hammock
    Byer Mosquito
    Tarp
    ZPacks Camo Cuben
    Suspension
    Fixed Loop/BIAS HA
    Just thought I would update on the net spreader poles. They are thinner and solid on the Byer as compared to the heavier, hollow poles on the DD Frontline. Look like they'll do a good job. Much better than my replacement idea. Derek of UltimateHang measure the poles at 19.7 inches.

As delivered, the Byer weighs 24.6 ounces. My changes to the suspension (continuous loops, Dutchgear Whoopie Hooks, Amsteel 7/64, and Lash-it) bring it down to 20.17 ounces.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    MMSS + sleep pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    At the REI garage sale, I came across one of these. Funny part is... I just assumed it was nothing more than a bug net. I didn't really look too closely at it until I got it home. I thought to myself, $15 for a bugnet is pretty decent. Got home and realized it was hammock. LOL!

The first thing I did was remove the stock suspension and replaced it without a set of 8" continuous amsteel loops. The bugnet came was ripped at the seam and has a small hole. My guess is the original owner was negligent in their use. Both look to be easily fixed though. The spreader bars... First thing I removed. I like the idea of having them, I didn't like the of having them connected permanently.

I would say that even at its stock price... this is a pretty nice little hammock though. Pretty sure it's almost the same price as another vendors bugnet alone.

Haven't actually used it yet (probably going to be my daughter's hammock. If they made an 10' or even an 11' version of this... I'd have it).

Hammock
    Byer Mosquito
    Tarp
    ZPacks Camo Cuben
    Suspension
    Fixed Loop/BIAS HA
    rob317, have you tried your hammock without the spreader bars. I'm toying with removing them for packability (and a little weight savings)?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hammock View Post
    I was hoping to have one for you this spring, but it just wasn't possible this year. We are still making fine adjustments to the original before we go ahead with a larger version. Stay tuned though. Thank you!
    curious if there have been any updates?

I have the old version without the spreader bars and don't wish that I had them. I did add a structural ridge line which is just fine for supporting the netting so no need to futz with setting that up after the hammock is set up.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbirds
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/Bullfrg
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My wife and I have 2 of the old style byer hammocks we have had them about 11 years now, these do not have the fiberglass poles at all, they have held up well only problem I would say is my 6'3" self laying in it causes my toe nails to rub on the netting. My wife has a small hole in the bugnet which she has repaired.
    Paul a.k.a. The Costco Kid

This is my Father's world, And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings, The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--His hand the wonders wrought.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope
    Hi all,
    We are working on a few updates right now. Making the rods a little more user friendly, and still discussing a longer length. Trying to decide if we make two versions or just go with a larger one all together. I'm sorry it is taking so long to get this done for you all. Thank you for your continued interest.
    Dan Hall
    Byer of Maine
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

just my input but i'd just offer the longer version.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast